Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
icon5.gif  ST162 Audio Thu, 03 June 2004 08:44 Go to next message
Hi, new to the forum here, also new to my car which I bought last week, an 89' ST162 SX. I'm pretty happy with it, it's only done 100k and it's in great condition. I might post pics later.

Anyway, has anyone here installed a stereo on these things? Mine still has the stock Toyota system, and doesn't sound too good. What is replacing the front two speakers like? I don't want to have to build something on the side of the door, I'd rather put OEM replacement clarions where the old ones are, would that sound ok? Or are the speakers in there allready sufficient? The ones in the back look easy enough to replace I suppose. I'd be interesting in hearing about some of your setups and what you've done about your front two speakers. Thanks a lot guys, ciao.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 June 2004 08:48]

Send a private message to this user    
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 Audio Thu, 03 June 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well for the fronts u have 3 options really - Replace with a good set of 4" speakers, go for a set of 4" splits (u can get ones with Crossovers but they'll cost u more) or make up a set of pods and put in some bigger splits. ATM i have sony 4" but im gonna make up some X/O 4" out of blaupunkt stuf when i get some money. To put these in its basically 6 screws and of course wiring. Puttin the HU in might be annoying as youll more than likely have to use original mouonts and cut out the double din area. Thats what i did on mine.
GL
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 Audio Thu, 03 June 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So getting a pair of 4"'s will replace the standard ones in there and sound good? I take it the stock ones are 4 " right.

this is what i originally thought of, cause the casing looks rectangular i assumed the speakers would be too.

http://www.clarion.com.au/Car/index.html

But if I only need 4" 's i think I'll save a bit of dough.

Problem is then I'll have little to nothing bass, maybe 6x9's in the back if i can handle it. Well I'll keep looking. Any advice for a cheap system?

cheers fellas

[Updated on: Thu, 03 June 2004 09:33]

Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 Audio Fri, 04 June 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Factory speakers on the st162s are 3.5" all round, hence the standard system sounding pretty crappy.
In the dash, below the factory speakers, there are pre-moulded holes for 4" speakers (maybe a factory option overseas?). A good idea if u want to install 4" splits in the front and keep things looking factory, is to make a bracket for the tweeters and place them in the spot where the 3.5" used to live.
If you want to install 6x9s in the rear best bet is to put them on the parcel tray, but 6x9s won't get u nearly as much bass as a decent sub.
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 Audio Fri, 04 June 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks senor... will 6x9's be alright in the back without a shelf? I'm just trying to stick to a budget. Smile
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 Audio Fri, 04 June 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So i'm guessing there was no shelf in the car when u got it? Well if u haven't got a shelf, u haven't got many options left. To get bass out of 6x9s they need to be in some sort of enclosure; when they are mounted on the shelf (as they usually are) the boot acts as the enclosure. The other option is to make (or purchase) a small enclosure designed to house the 6x9s, but u could probably also make a shelf for around the same cost.
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 Audio Fri, 04 June 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah ok... makes sense. Very Happy

cheers thats really helpful. one more question, is one head unit enough to run all that (2 4" splits and rear 6x9"'s) without an amp?
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 Audio Fri, 04 June 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senor_2 wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 14:07

In the dash, below the factory speakers, there are pre-moulded holes for 4" speakers (maybe a factory option overseas?).

Where are they? You mean that plastic disk with the rubber around it? I thought that was kinda like an alternative to porting the speaker box? Pretty good idea really. Im gonna try jam some 4 inches' into those boxes, they'd sound weak without an enclosure.

I've got rear 6x9's on a MDF parcel shelf, came up pretty good with some carpet and paint. Its pretty easy to make a new shelf if you don't have one.

- Andy

BTW: Welcome!
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 Audio Fri, 04 June 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can the shelf be taken off? (without ripping up stuff) What have you got in your front dash at the moment?

Thanks, sorry about all the friggin questions Razz

Nice site by the way, are the photos of your big red celica cruise in Melbourne? That red rooster looks like the one on Centre/Warragul road

[Updated on: Fri, 04 June 2004 15:14]

smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 Audio Fri, 04 June 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's cool - I've asked heaps of questions on the forum, so I should answer em where I can!

I got the stock speakers in my dash atm, but not for much longer.

The shelf rests on the plastic trim rearward of the speakers when the hatch is closed. It's hinged at the front, but I'm guessing you'll need the hinges - you could probably pick them up at a wrecker for next to nothing. The shelf is also hung from the rear hatch. There's two little hook-like things sticking out from the vertical window sills, it ties onto those so when you open the hatch the shelf raises with it.

If you're nearby you're welcome to come have a look at mine!

Andy.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 Audio Fri, 04 June 2004 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it just un-hooks and comes right out.

patrick wrote on Sat, 05 June 2004 01:04

Nice site by the way, are the photos of your big red celica cruise in Melbourne? That red rooster looks like the one on Centre/Warragul road

Nah, its the one on the corner of Canterbury and Bayswater roads in Bayswater... I think. Confused
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 Audio Sat, 05 June 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude I have 6x9s in the back parcel shelf which I made, and am getting some nice exxy 4'' ones to replace the front.

a head deck goes in easy as

have a custom box w. sub too.. all sounds great Very Happy just can't WAIT to get some decent 4'' in

Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 Audio Sat, 05 June 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
patrick wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 18:36

is one head unit enough to run all that (2 4" splits and rear 6x9"'s) without an amp?

Most head units these days have around 4x45w (peak) output which is fine, but if u find urself turning up the bass/volume a lot the speakers (especially 4") will distort without proper crossovers.

smashed_wombat, yep if u remove the blanks a set of 4" will fit right in.
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 Audio Sat, 05 June 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just put a good set of 4" splits in hte stock locations. I run em off an amp and they sound very nice.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 Audio Sat, 05 June 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run 4 4" speakers and a 12" sub all off an amp and it sounds great.
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 Audio Sat, 05 June 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer i forgot my 12" sub too Razz

I have response 4" splits off a 2x84wrms amp in the front
and
12" DVC Response sub running of a 2x150wrms, in the back

Sounds VERY nice
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 Audio Sun, 06 June 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks people.

went out and got myself an entry level Clarion MP3 unit, Clarion 4" 's for the front, and Clarion 6" for the back. One day I'll get an amp and hook up a sub, but for now this should be sufficient. Smile

I originally had the intention of getting Pioneer throughout, but after hearing the quality of the speakers, I decided on the Clarions, better bass especially with the 4"s. Suits me better for the moment and I'm not running highpasses out the front or anything. (even though pioneer was all 25% off at Autobarn)

Getting it instlaled on wednesday, I'll post pics of it all later on.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 June 2004 05:11]

sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: ST162 Audio Sun, 06 June 2004 12:39 Go to previous message
ive got a 4X50 watt pioneer cd playa
pioneer 4 inch splits in stock postion and tweeters on the front pillers
6 inch 2 way venus's on the custom parcel i made
and 2 12 inch pioneers in custom box's looks like this in the boot because of the spare tyre | /\ | running off a 1000 watt 4 ch amp sounds PHATTTTT Cool
peace
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP TOYOTA CORONA
Next Topic:Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 )
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:05:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052599906921387 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.