Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
micRA28
Newcomer

February 2004
ST162 Temp gauge question Sun, 06 June 2004 01:15 Go to next message
My ST162 (3sge) temp gauge doesn't seem to be working, stays on cold and doesn't budge, I think the thermostat is ok.

I was just wondering if the temp sensor sending unit to the gauge is the one on the thermostat housing or is it one of the other sensors located elswhere, and if so which one? If I unplug the thermostat sensor the fan turns on but does noothing to the reading on the gauge.

Any ideas would be appreiciated, Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Sun, 06 June 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the wire is one of the ones on the housing (I think there are 3 plugs connected to the housing) If I remember correct its the brown wire??? its just a single wire. don't quote me on that if your car blows up it not my fault, do you have a manual??? if you don't get one. Smile
mahon
Regular

September 2005
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Tue, 13 September 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey micRA28...

I have just recently had the exact same problem with my st162 - my bloody temp guage. Did you find the problem can you PLEASE help me sort mine out?
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Tue, 13 September 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It depends if it has the 3sge or 3sfe. 3sge has it near the water pump, 3sfe has it near the gearbox.

ty
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Tue, 13 September 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they both have the temp gauge sender in the coolant outlet on the gearbox side. It's been a while since i've seen one, but I'm pretty sure its the blue plug closest to the engine. Should be a single wire slide-on type plug. If you send us a pic I'd be able to point it out? The plug on the thermostat housing is the temp switch for the thermofans (as you found out)! Very Happy
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Tue, 13 September 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah crap! Ive got the same problem.

but mine comes up bwhen it likes, usually when accelerating (sometimes).

that makes me think its a damaged wire, not the sender itself.

Might price one up though anyway. meh if its to much hassle, I will just install an aftermarket guage.

Do they make blue backlit 5" water temp guages with shift lights? HAHA
mahon
Regular

September 2005
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Fri, 16 September 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help...

mine is the 3sge - everythings stock...

ill get under the hood this weekend to have a look but I think (from reading the last post) that I have a damaged wire maybe also...

see I have had a reading once or twice in the last couple of months - but it only lasts for a few minutes then shitz itself again and drops to nothing...

So where should I take the photo for you to point out the plug?!?! I appreciate your help guys - saving me lotsa cash
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Fri, 16 September 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeoNasty wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 09:01

Yeah crap! Ive got the same problem.

but mine comes up bwhen it likes, usually when accelerating (sometimes).

that makes me think its a damaged wire, not the sender itself.

my st165has veen doing the EXACT same thing...except tonight it just stopped working alltogether...lol i came on here to double check which plug the problem would be with lol
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Fri, 16 September 2005 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty sure its this one. Can anyone confirm? Its a single wire plug in the vicinity of the arrow anyway. Rolling Eyes

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/web/temp.jpg

If you're having trouble finding it just follow the top radiator hose back to where it goes into the engine, the area in the pic is on the top right hand corner of the block as you look at it from the front. Good luck!
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Sat, 17 September 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thaught that was the one, just a quick q..what are teh other 2 for?...and does any1 know what the sensor on the bottom of the radiator on 165s is for?
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 Temp gauge question Sat, 17 September 2005 01:02 Go to previous message
wiso wrote on Sun, 06 June 2004 12:00

do you have a manual??? if you don't get one. Smile

Damn good advice !

Who dug up this old post ? More thean 1 year old
Embarassed
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wheel bearings
Next Topic:ECU reset.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 00:59:41 UTC 2024