Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending !

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon8.gif  1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending ! Fri, 04 June 2004 01:11 Go to next message
Still can't get my 1G-GZE motor to start !
If anyone has a 1G engine with a reduction type starter motor,
(or dammit any type of starter motor at all !) can you please have a quick look and tell me exactly where the earth strap on it starts and finishes ?
Wife wants the car on the road and this 3 week project is into month 7 and counting......
Thanks all.
Mitch.
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending ! Fri, 04 June 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 11:11

Still can't get my 1G-GZE motor to start !
If anyone has a 1G engine with a reduction type starter motor,
(or dammit any type of starter motor at all !) can you please have a quick look and tell me exactly where the earth strap on it starts and finishes ?
Wife wants the car on the road and this 3 week project is into month 7 and counting......
Thanks all.
Mitch.

Earth strap? Can't rightfully remember seeing an earth strap on one. Generally you have a direct feed from the battery to the starter, and then from that terminal you have another large gauge wire that runs directly to the alternator. The only other wire to consider is the trigger wire (from starter switch). The unit is earthed through the body of the starter motor. If you are referring to the blue silicone wire under the heat shield, then that goes to the terminal on the main body of the solenoid - but there is NO earth wire.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending ! Fri, 04 June 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason,

What you have described is exactly the set-up I have except there is no wire from the starter to the alternator.

I have swapped the original (traditional) solenoid starter motor on this GZE engine with a newer reduction type starter motor and all I seem to get is the thing spinning and not engaging the ring gear.

So I thought I needed to earth the starter to get its pinion to move out.

I have an earth strap to an engine bracket bolt near the front
of the motor but I think that may be too far away from the starter.

Maybe the over-run clutch inside the starter is stuffed ????

Mitch.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Starter Motor's - Help Please Fri, 04 June 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Need some help before the long weekend please guys !
Anyone ?
Thanks,
Mitch.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending ! Fri, 04 June 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ingrams (available only from auto electricians) have a replacement starter motor for your application the part number is RXS422 - cost is about $220.

Before resorting to such desperate measures, I would set it up on the bench with a battery and see if the gear throws out correctly. It may well be an easy fix in the end.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending ! Fri, 04 June 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a thought .. is it wired up the right way round?, what your describing sounds like the starters spinning backwards and the thrust out gear isnt "throwing out"

pull it off the engine and turn it over to see if its throwing the gear out?? maybe its a shorter gear than the factory item and isnt ingageing or something??

sorry if these are useless suggestions that youve allready tried Smile
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending ! Sat, 05 June 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agree with IRA11Y dude.

whip the thing out and using a jumper lead, from - on battery - earth the thing, then bridge + over where the battery connects to and the little spade terminal - made easier with a screwdriver - make sure the thing both spins and throws out.

also are you sure you have the correct starter motor/flywheel application - if its throwing the gear out and not contacting the flywheel then all you'll hear is it spinning....
wadadlianu
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: 1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending ! Sat, 05 June 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds to me like your starter drive is slipping. The only way a Nippondenso OSGR starter will engage is if the drive is fully extended. It is either that or the plunger is too short (wrong one) Take the starter out and get someone to hold it or put it in a vise, hook up the ground to the body of the starter and run a pos cable to the main terminal, run a jumper to the ign terminal and use a piece of wood on the drive and apply pressure to see if you can stop it from spinning, if you succeed the drive is bad. By the way if you hold the starter in your hand be very careful as the torque will cause it to rotate violently. The drive should be able to turn by hand opposite to the pitch on the drive and hold in the direction of the pitch. If it freely moves in both directions then the drive is broken
tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: 1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending ! Sun, 06 June 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bugger the starter motor!!!

just clutch start the bastard!!

who needs a starter motor!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending ! Tue, 08 June 2004 01:21 Go to previous message
Yellow rolla - thanks for the tip re: the Ingram RXS422 and to bench test the thing.

IRA11Y - I checked the wiring and all seems correct, but the thing spinning the wrong way could be the problem. I will bench test it, and your suggestions are not useless, no apology is necessary, they are all good ideas. I am not a mechanic's armpit so I need all the help I can get !

Grega - thanks for the bench test methodology, and I do think I have the incorrect starter motor /flywheel application but I can't be sure until I pull the thing off - read below ..... Sad

Wadadlianu - again, thanks for the test idea and it is more than possible that the plunger is too short.

Tripmcneily - great ideas mate, if I had the rest of the car roadworthy I woul clutch start it for sure !!!! Very Happy

Thanks everyone for all your ideas, much appreciated. I did bench test the old starter motor on the weekend and it worked fine.....but I also rounded the heads of both bolts on the 'new' starter motor on the engine itself, and I am pretty hissed off with myself at the moment.....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age problem....wheres all the power??
Next Topic:2JZ-GTE sequential turbos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:30:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044891834259033 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.