Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
icon3.gif  PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:22 Go to next message
Ok so far i've done: SV21 (3sfe)

2inch exhaust, headers to muff.

Air filter, with Cold Air Induction.

Dyno tuned, advanced timing.

Complete susspension (King springs, Monroe shocks, bushes, swaybar.... etc)

Alloys from a '89 celica.

The problem:

I'm getting bored, so it's time for another mod Smile..... But i can't decide what, cuaz basically i dont know how much they cost.

I'm thinking either:
1) Break upgrade (to 4wheel disc)
2) Engine mods (cams, pot'n'polish...)
3) Dry NOS kit
4) Clutch and tranny replacement and rebuild (+short shifter)
5) Tubo & ECU

The last is a bit expencive so i might leave that for now, or do it in bit (get the ECU first). But lately i've been giving the first four lots of thought.

I have looked at previous posts and the 4th gen celicas (ST) have a shorter shifter.

QUESTIONS:

Do dry NOS kits need a piddy-back computer to run them or will they run with the stock ECU???

The break upgrade.... Where do i buy them, how much do they cost and will the GT4 set fit on the SV21 camry?? If not which is the best bet? (Maybe the V6 discs...??)

I don't want a grabby clutch but i want a heavier one, so i've been told to go for a full-faced not a 3 or 4 puck. Which is a good one for about 80kWs at the wheels??

The port'n'polish i've been quoted between $750 and $800. Is the a fair price to pay and does it improve permormance much on an NA car??

Cams i know are expencive but do they make much difference and is it a down low or top-end improvement??

SOZ 4 ALL THE QUESTIONS, I FEEL LIKE A NEWBIE AGAIN Shocked .

[Updated on: Sun, 06 June 2004 10:23]

Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do them all at once... buy an ST185 frontcut and most of your list is done... it'll work out cheaper this way

Also why would you put NOS on your car?
I would only put Nitrous on a car I either:
A) Wanted to blow up for amusement (e.g. 3K, 4AC etc.)
B) Had already modified nearly everything and wanted to squeeze out some more powaz
C) Had a huge laggy turbo on and wanted to spool it quicker for qtr mile etc.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put a 3sge or a 3sgte in it mate...the 3sfe isnt a motor thats cheaply/ easily played with. its a economical motor designed for a camry...3sge was a performance celica motor...an easy swap in

oh and you can obviously keep your headers and system for the 3sge

[Updated on: Sun, 06 June 2004 10:39]

Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which is the st185?? I don't know the celica modle numbers and to which year they refer.....

Is that the square one with the black fins for a front grill??

well a front cut will give me a used box used clutch and an engine i won't use...... No breaks, ECU...etc..

Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've read many stories of engine swaps getting more and more expencive as little bit need to be bought here and there.

but then again if i get the front cut........ would i have to engineer that?? and does the st185 have the 3sge??
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have to engineer any modification from factory standard in theory you do to your car.

The halfcut will put you in front from that list.

Do it once, do it right.

Excessive $$$ is from poor planning, oversights and cutting corners.
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once again i dont know the celica modles that well.

does the st185 have the 3sge engine and will the box and wiring etc.... fit in the SV21??

has any one done the conversion??
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st185 is the 2nd gen gt4 celica(2L 4 banger turbo awd affair)
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or you could settle for a 3SGE and work that up nicely
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iceman wrote on Sun, 06 June 2004 20:49

once again i dont know the celica modles that well.

does the st185 have the 3sge engine and will the box and wiring etc.... fit in the SV21??

has any one done the conversion??

Any 3sge will fit in there....gte is a little different as the turbo makes the motor bigger...search for people done it on here.
st184? is about a 91? model..and was a 3sge...the st185gt4 had a 3sgte.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 June 2004 10:53]

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=16038&rid=2114&S=280c0340fac3a69da56931d b58d8fef1&pl_view=&start=0#msg_148259
check that out

and i was about to pull you up on the st184\st185 thingo Razz
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Sun, 06 June 2004 20:56

and i was about to pull you up on the st184\st185 thingo Razz

lol yeah i saw it as soon as i posted it Razz
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: PLS HLP.........Which is a realistic mod and which do i chose??....... SV21 (3sfe) Sun, 06 June 2004 15:39 Go to previous message
hey iceman

i was looking at possible things to do to my camry. firstly i woudldnt touch the engine in anyway but if u wana have a bit of fun u can get ur flywheel machined which will improve accelaration and go to whitleline and get front and rear camber kits with will improve ur handling ($85 each end from memory) if u wana do a rear disc conversion go to picknpayless in blacktown theres a holden nova station wagon with rear discs on it i think its the 4th one along (3rd of 4th) and if thats gone go to the old toyota section i saw an ultima there with disc brakes its a pretty straight forward conversion. get all that done and do the clutch too, then think about getting a new engine, the 3SGE is a straight in swap, try get a GENII one out of the japanese celica (1990 onwards i think til bout 94 or 95 then it goes gen III which is the st202)

but u want ur car to handle and stop before u go and put a more powerfull engine in, maybe get some stiffer rear springs too to handle to front power as caster kits arent availible for the camry

yes the car will beed to be engineered but with the upgraded brakes i dont see too much problem.

hope i helped, anymore questions jsut PM me

cya

dom

p.s i think u should start with a new front gaurd caue it wont even pass rego wit sharp bits on it lol
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:st141 conversion
Next Topic:When do brake rotors become useless
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 20:27:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006721019744873 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.