Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age problem....wheres all the power??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Green_Comet
Regular

August 2003
4age problem....wheres all the power?? Fri, 07 May 2004 03:09 Go to next message
Hi everyone,
just finished putting a 4age into my ae86, and im finding it very very non responsive. The car is drivable..(just) but im finding that there is no power at all in the lower rev range.
It makes the old 4ac look like a rocket!

I have found that it gets all its responsive power when the tvis opens at about 5k.....but it takes about 20sec to get that high in the rev range!!

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
The engine has semi-adjustable cams gears on it, could it be that all the power is set to high up in the rev range??

its really starting to bug me..

any help is much appreciated

cheers ryan
  Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Fri, 07 May 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar problem with mine not long after it was installed.

It would cough and splatter till tvis opened then it was good.

My problem was the tps was out, the dizzy was out, and i had a small leak on the inlet manifold.

Reset your tps, timing(back to factory, then play with adjust cam gears) and double/triple check your inlet manifold for leaks. Make sure the 3 black pins/plugs at the rear of the manifold are used, 1 for the map sensor, 1 for the fuel pressure regulator and the 3rd should be blocked, it does nothing.

Steve

[Updated on: Fri, 07 May 2004 03:23]

TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sat, 08 May 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reminds me of a inital D episode when takumi first gets behind the wheel of the "atlantic 4age", mabey you should rev to 11k??? Rolling Eyes
DTrain
Regular

September 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sat, 08 May 2004 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your timing
Green_Comet
Regular

August 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sat, 08 May 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah did the timing yesterday, everything is spot on...
i dunno about the tps but, is there anyway to reset it??

dosent seem to have any leaks in the intake.

im stumped for ideas! Confused
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sat, 08 May 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just had another thought ryan while reading another thread,
not sure but the distributers may be different on the FWD and RWD motors, someone may be able to confirm this, because if your running a FWD computer you may need to find a FWD distributer to try ????

just a passing thought.

Ben.
AE86 Trueno 4AGE.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sat, 08 May 2004 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Naw, he doesn't need any of that. Just rev it to 11,000. You'll be right. Very Happy
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sun, 09 May 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
below 5000rpm, it isn't any faster than a 4ac.
did you change your exhaust? i had the same problem when i installed mine.. had to get a smaller tip to restrict the flow.
thevelvetgreasemonkey
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sun, 09 May 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had a very similar problem on my twinky cause one of the little vacuum hoses on the tvis was not conected Embarassed after i "fixed":roll: the head gasket. When it's idleling disconect the tps and see if it does anything diffent, if not you found something. .........chris
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sun, 09 May 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke70_3SGTE wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 13:20

Reminds me of a inital D episode when takumi first gets behind the wheel of the "atlantic 4age", mabey you should rev to 11k???

Shraka wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 03:28

Naw, he doesn't need any of that. Just rev it to 11,000. You'll be right. Very Happy

guys this is tech and conversions, not "im a funny cunt, laugh at me". please refrain from verbal dribbling. Smile thats what the outhouse is for Very Happy

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sun, 09 May 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you, agreed. Keep the funny BS to the outhouse.

When u did the timing you did earth the timing "diagnostic pin" didnt you? Otherwise you have timed the engine to a bad reference.

I would also inspect cam timing, vacuum leaks, and everything else!!

Sounds crappy dude Sad
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Sun, 09 May 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any progress.

Steve
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well timings been checked again, and there appears to be no vacuum leaks. The part numbers on the distributors are the same so i doubt its that. Tried changing TPS, map sensor, dizzy, ecu and other shit i cant remember and its still rooted. Anybody got any other ideas?
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hirogen wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 13:37

Well timings been checked again, and there appears to be no vacuum leaks. The part numbers on the distributors are the same so i doubt its that. Tried changing TPS, map sensor, dizzy, ecu and other shit i cant remember and its still rooted. Anybody got any other ideas?

Did you just change/try another dizzy cap or the hole thing, i think there would be a fault code on the computer if its running as bad as you say.

What condition are the spark plugs, thoroughly clean them and see what happens.

You'll find the problem,its just a process of elimination.

Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried cleaning the plugs a few times, even though they were fine when we pulled them out. And yes we changed the whole dizzy.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its got me beat?

Is the earth on the inlet manifold (below/underneath the fuel rail) connected properly.

Just drumming up thoughts in my jelly.

Steve

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 06:35]

Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man, anything you can think of just throw it out, were desperate now so any ideas however dumb will be attempted. But yeah that earth seems fine
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thevelvetgreasemonkey wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 18:02

When it's idleling disconect the tps and see if it does anything diffent, if not you found something. .........chris

What were the results of this.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there a adjuster on the tvis, perhaps its closed to much restricting airflow too much.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
since then we have a new tps, but i cant test that until the top water outlet comes back from being repaired. As soon as thats done, ill post back here.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FKN16V wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 17:14

Is there a adjuster on the tvis, perhaps its closed to much restricting airflow too much.

I dont beleive there is an adjuster on the Tvis, anyone tell me for sure?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FKN16V wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 16:29

Is the earth on the inlet manifold (below/underneath the fuel rail) connected properly.

I dont think it would be that, cos if you lose that ground you lose your ECU entirely and the car stalls. It was the problem i had in my GZE when i was building her.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I thought Ryan had mentioned this but i cant read anywhere that he did. The problem seems to be only when the engine is under load. When its just sitting there it appears to rev just fine, try to move the car though, and it dies in the arse. Hopefully this new info can lead to an answer.

I did also bridge the two ECU pins when i set the timing, but im told the revs should alter slightly when the pins are bridged, but when I did, it did bugger all. When the wiring was done, alot of stuff was discarded, including the diagnostic connector so im working directly from the ECU here. Can anyone tell me which pins on the AE82 ECU im supposed to bridge? (ie which connector, then which number pin) Thanks heaps.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:00]

SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine was doing a similar thing when i first put the 4ag in my sprinter it turned out to be a wiring problem, the injectors were pumping at twice heir regular duty cycle for some reason,

it might be a similar problem because below about 5000 the injectors pulse once per engine revolution and above 5000 they pulse once every second engine revolution. so possibly it might be getting too much fuel at lower revs and then it gets a bit better air/fuel ratios up in the revs.

other than that i'm not really sure what it could be

have you tested the map/afm
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 10 May 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPRINTAH! wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 23:24

mine was doing a similar thing when i first put the 4ag in my sprinter it turned out to be a wiring problem, the injectors were pumping at twice heir regular duty cycle for some reason,

it might be a similar problem because below about 5000 the injectors pulse once per engine revolution and above 5000 they pulse once every second engine revolution. so possibly it might be getting too much fuel at lower revs and then it gets a bit better air/fuel ratios up in the revs.

other than that i'm not really sure what it could be

have you tested the map/afm

Interesting idea. Yeah i tried my MAP sensor on his car and it didnt change a thing. How exactly was this problem remedied on your car?
Green_Comet
Regular

August 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Fri, 14 May 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im gonna have to bite the bullet and take it to a place to get the problem sorted...

could anyone recommend a place where i could take it to?? (in melb)

this problem is really starting to give me the shits, Mad and any help on this would be much appreciated!!

cheers
ryan
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Fri, 14 May 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try Racing Project in Mitcham, since we have 3 4A sprinters and my GZE. Or Toyospares.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Fri, 14 May 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a problem like this at work

plugs were stuffed, black and fauled but it was missing under load

is it missing at all?? if u go up a hill under load does it caught and splutter?

check compression might be low...
check lead resistance
check fuel pressure
check fuel filter might be blocked
check fuel might have water in the tank

could be heaps of things...

wat fuel pump are you running it might not be supplying it with enough fuel pressure

Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Fri, 14 May 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it seems like the car is improving, I have no idea why but im not about to look a gift horse in the mouth
silly
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 07 June 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try replacing your fuel pressure regulator.
silly
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 07 June 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and check your fpr has a good vacuum signal Rolling Eyes
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Mon, 07 June 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe check your cam timing again. Check the resistance in your ignition leads as well?

If the car isn't coughing like a bastard, then chances are it isn't getting enough fuel - if it is coughing like a bastard, then it probably isn't getting good ignition.

Just some thoughts.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age problem....wheres all the power?? Tue, 08 June 2004 01:57 Go to previous message
Who knows, maybe one day I'll even have an afternoon free and be silly enough to have a look at the thing Surprised
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:st185 injectors into st162
Next Topic:1G Starter Motor's - Divorce Pending !
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:23:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081820487976074 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.