Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
45aken
Regular

February 2004
100kw 4age for turbo conversion Mon, 07 June 2004 08:46 Go to next message
i dont want to start another "just get the 4agze then turbo it thread" (but if someone can find me a 4agze for around $800 PM ME!!)

just wondering if the 4agze forged pistons will fit into the 100kw 4age and what other items would i want to strengthen before putting the turbo on?

please note that i dont want this to be a big dollar project. on that note, would it turn out cheaper getting a GZE bottom end, then putting a bigport head on it? what is a ballpark price figure for the bottom end/head??

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Mon, 07 June 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes the pistons will fit, did you do a search?

safest bet would be to get oversize pistons and have the motor bored out to suit, but all the other shit is the same.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Mon, 07 June 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to add to SBS, oil squirters, keep the pistons a bit cooler..

strengthen? gearbox, diff.. speeding fine fund Wink

Cya, Stewart
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Mon, 07 June 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SBS? i dont understand how to add oil squirters, do they just magically appear if you put the oil squirting pistons in?

anything else inside the motor? yall can tell me that the only internal difference between the 4agze and the 100kw are the pistons! unless thats the only thing worth doing?

also i have 2 turbo's, but the one i want to use is off a east west facing engine(TX3 4wd turbo), does this matter? when i put it on the manifold(high mount, eg pipes go up, not down), the outlet (to the cooler) will face the right way (to the right) but it will also face upwards at an angle of about 30-45 degrees. is this a major problem? modify the manifold, or modift the cooler piping?

thanks

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Tue, 08 June 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbs - that would be me.

and as far as i know, the 100kw engine already has oil squirters, its like a high compression naturally aspirated 4AGZE.

as far as i know, the only difference is the pistons (and blower)

the first thing you need to do is read up on turbos, your knowlege level seems very low.

read maximum boost, read up on howstuffworks.com, read forums etc, it will all add up.

the turbo you mentuion is not suitable, as there would be no point installing it, remember that the TX3 engine put out 100kw WITH a turbo. get a T25 or a T28
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Tue, 08 June 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my knowledge of the turbo is fine, maybe you didn't understand what i am trying to say. the tx3 turbo i have is capable to running up to 15psi on a 1.8lt engine, and i've spoken to a few mechanic's/engine builder and they've said it should be fine to use on a 1.6lt.
the tx3 turbo only made 100kw with a turbo because the engine was designed that way right, so therefore adding a turbo to an engine that already makes 100kw would yeild a good increase in power.
what i am trying to say is that if the turbo sits vertically upwards on the manifold(exhaust inlet at the bottom) the air outlet (outlet where compressed air comes out) faces the right way (eg towards the left front wheel) but it will be pointing upwards at an angle of about 30-40 dgrees from horizontal (eg 50-60deg T)this is fine still, but what i was asking is that IF i wanted the air outlet to sit horizontal, would i need/bother to change the manifold or not worry about the whole angle thing and just get piping to suit?

has anyone got a photo of their 4AGTE setup they can send me?thanks
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Tue, 08 June 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 'pressure' produced by a turbo is a measure of the amount of air NOT getting into an engine.

the power output of an engine is (disregarding mechanical losses) a measure of the FLOW of the engine and turbo put together.

if the turbo flows 100kw, then thats what it does.. putting it onto an engine with beter flow will not make the turbo push any more air.. it will push the same amount of air but at a lower pressure (since not as much pressure is needed to get that much air into the motor)

all you need to do is look at the amount of air the turbo flows at the upper end of it's good efficiency region, and that is how much power you can possibly expect from the turbo..

if this TX3 one can push more than 100kw,m then it might work. if 100kw is it's limit, then you will get better midrange on a 4AG, but the upper end will still be a little over 100kw (without overspeeding turbo or pushing it into poor efficiency)

that make any sense?

Cya, Stewart
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Tue, 08 June 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, thought you meant the 1.6 litre TX3, a turbo from the bigger engine should be better,

i'd still use a t25 though.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Tue, 08 June 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Differences between smallport 4A-GE and smallport 4A-GZE bottom ends:

# Pistons
# Piston rings

*note: this is only to my knowledge, and my knowledge is scattered at best

I'll be checking some part no's later too
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Tue, 08 June 2004 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its the 1.8lt DOHC. i just thought i might use it as i got it for nice and cheap.
tell me if im wrong, but why is everyone saying "turbo a 4agze" when the 100kw is *easier to install, and all i need to change is the pistons and rings to make it a 4agze? have you seen the price of a 4agze half cut these days????!!!!i got quoted today $3200!!!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Wed, 09 June 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think someone was yanking your chain....
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 100kw 4age for turbo conversion Wed, 09 June 2004 16:07 Go to previous message
i thought so aswell, but after nearly 3 yards quoted me a half cut 4agze around 3K i gave up
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what rear sway bar to get?ae86
Next Topic:heater playing up
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 00:34:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058698654174805 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.