Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Braided hoses annd heat?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 08:29 Go to next message
How much heat can braided hoses handle? Would the be suitable to use for the turbo water lines?
Any ideas? Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im using these on my car also shane...im sure they are a lot more resistand to heat than normal rubber!

Sorry no real help Smile

I'l wait to see what you're informed Smile
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what I'm planning on using for mine, & I guess it comes down to the exact composition of the braided hose that'll determine the temp it can take, but I'm pretty sure any of it would withstand greater heat than rubber hoses. Braided lines are prolly most often used with hydraulics, which gets damn hot!

OK, just looked at an Earls catalogue, & their braided hoses are up to 300*F and they're rubber hose is 250*F.

EDIT: 300*F is only 150*C, how's that, less than I expected.
I also just checked out a speedflow catalogue, their braided hose & their rubber hoses are good for 300*F.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2004 08:58]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have earls braided in my clutch and brake system
seem to be pretty good and they go up to 300deg farenheit

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2004 09:00]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
300F thats only 150C roughly Confused I'm sure a turbo would be getting hotter than this?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure, if the line is touching the exhaust housing ormanifold then the heat will be MUCh higher then this. Howevere since it wont be touching the line will be more then enough for the job.

Another thing. Oil temps shouldnt be this high either. so nothing to worry about there.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I should run an air gap between the braided hose and the turbo water flange?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It comes down to the pressure it's under doesn't it? It would have to be under heaps of pressure to get to 150 without boiling.

EDIT: talking temp of water not turbo of course.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2004 09:26]

Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use braided on my oil lines for the turbo, no problems, i also use adr approved braided brake lines aswell.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I'm not too worried about the temp of the oil really. I'm just worried about where the hose attaches to the flange on the turbo, and also having the hose running close to the turbo its self.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony wrote on Wed, 09 June 2004 19:27

I use braided on my oil lines for the turbo, no problems, i also use adr approved braided brake lines aswell.

I would also like to use braided hose for my oil lines as well but because the feed and return are on the same small flange it might be a little hard to make them fit Confused
Got a photo of your setup?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oooh, so you've got a ball-lick of a water inlet I guess, how does the water hose attach to the flange that bolts to the turbo? Is it just a rubber hose, beaded tube & hose clamp or what?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its a ball lick one Rolling Eyes

On the turbo there is a small oval shape flange that is bolted on. On that flange there are 2 tubes welded to it, one in and one out.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much are braided break lines.. ae86.. and a shop that stocks them.. or do like toyota stock some?

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2004 11:08]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Wed, 09 June 2004 21:06

how much are braided break lines.. ae86.. and a shop that stocks them.. or do like toyota stock some?

Nah to my knowledge no toyotas came out with braided lines?

All my oil cooler, remote kit hoses etc are all gonna be braided
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Wed, 09 June 2004 21:06

http://www.earls.com.au/
try these guys
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whether a line is braided or not has no effect on heat capacity or resistance. That is up to the material inside them.

Typically, the braiding is primarily for increased protection of the hose (against rubbing or harsh environment), assists in reduction of flex (why they are better for brake pipes - although for road cars they are not worth the price difference), and lastly, bling factor.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bling is the most important factor of all Cool
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 06:56

Whether a line is braided or not has no effect on heat capacity or resistance. That is up to the material inside them.

Your wrong. The stainless braid absorbs the heat and dissipates it into the rubber hose. A braided hose will break down before a standard rubber hose in an environment where heat is a problem.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 07:14

bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 06:56

Your wrong. The stainless braid absorbs the heat and dissipates it into the rubber hose. A braided hose will break down before a standard rubber hose in an environment where heat is a problem.

You are partially right, I stand corrected. Smile

What I was referring to (and I didn't state it that clearly Rolling Eyes ), is that depending on the spec of the inner liner material (be it rubber or teflon - I have both types that are ex-aircraft) as to what heat it can withstand. The temp ratings are meant to be the fluid that they contain, not the environment that they are in.

That is usually a spearate spec, and also one of the reasons that you can get heatproof sleeves/material.

Then again, you can get those super-blingy sleeve kits from Autobarn Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Michael B

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Wed, 09 June 2004 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I knew what you mean Very Happy I just want to use braided lines because having bare rubber lines sticking up off the turbo would look crap.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Thu, 10 June 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now this looks hot. cut from club4ag

Quote:

Hi Gang - Thought I would share the final completion of my crazy oil cooler set-up that is going on my 20V Turbo.

I ran the car for first few hundred miles without an oil cooler and when I dyno'd the car, the oil looked like it had turned to water, so I challenged myself to build something unique, aesthetically pleasing and extremely effective.

This project took about two months and the cost was considerably more than I anticipated (it always ends up that way!).

There was ALOT of planning required for this project, which is why it was time intensive.

I made all the braided hoses at home with the Earls fittings, and you have to be VERY patient doing this type of work as the aluminum Earls fittings cross thread, scratch and gouge very easily, also you cannot overtighten them. So patience is a nessecity.

This set-up will easily cool 500hp so is more than adequate for my Turbo 20V. I even made provision for an oil thermostat, so that oil is not too cold especially when the weather temp is cool.

Well enough blabbing, here are all the parts and pieces before the install:

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770204.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770198.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770194.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770187.jpg

Here is a picture of the spin on adapter that goes to the block, I had these elbows hard welded for ease of access and convenience
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770179.jpg

Here is the inline oil thermostat with 1\2" NPT and #10 hose couplings
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770129.jpg

All fittings were 1/2" NPT or #10 AN ends, which are the same size the NASCAR teams use on their oil coolers. This is the size to go with if you do any type of long spirited driving (especially in 90+F summer temps) or have a moddified 4AG that you rec the crap out of. 3/8" / #8 will be OK as well for a NA engine.

Here is a pic of my new Oil Cooler:
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770142.jpg

I re-drilled the oil cooler to be able to mount it to my Honda Del Sol B16A radiator, this rad is a light weight twin core, all aluminum with a constantly running electric fan:
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770164.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770148.jpg

Here is the drilled radiator to mount the oil cooler, it was a fluke that the radiator and the oil cooler were almost identical widths, if it was not, I would be making more aluminum brackets!
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43826384.jpg

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Thu, 10 June 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continued

Quote:

I drilled my battery tray to mount the relocated oil filter
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43770216.jpg
(Battery relocated to trunk)

Here is the spin on adapter mounted to the block, I had to drop the engine mounts to be able to turn and tighten this adapter and support the motor on a scissor jack - pain in the backside! You can see the wastegate flange in the top right of this picture. The other oil line in this photo is the oil feed for the turbo
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43826376.jpg

Here is everthing mounted and tightened down, getting ready to check for leaks(In the picture below you can see my oil distribution block for the gauges)
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43826347.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43823364.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43823339.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43823358.jpg

I polished the intercooler while it was off the car:
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43823353.jpg

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/3563550/43823346.jpg

Next to do is to hook up my oil pressure and temp gauges, I have a oil distribution block I custom made for this duty, and I will have that done very soon.

Hope that helps anyone contemplating such an install. Please note that you can do this install for less than half the cost, if you use brass fittings with barbed ends and regular black oil hose and hose clamps. Also having a turbo charged car increases the complexity of this install.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Thu, 10 June 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
less pretty remote oil filter install on an MA70...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma70supra/remoteoilfilter.jpg
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Thu, 10 June 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Horn Shocked

With your setup Allan, the filter is down and out of view so the standard rubber hoses dont make things look ugly. With my turbo it sits up high and the lines stick out like dogs balls.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Thu, 10 June 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mounting it up high sucks you will end up with oil everywhere when you change your filter, no mess and no fuss this way, not only that I want my engine bay to look nice and stock when Mr officer requests I pop the bonnet

Allan
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Thu, 10 June 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you worried about the heat from the turbo having an affect on the braided line dont be as i said no problems here, plus my braided line is pulled about 20-30mm away from the core of the turbo becuase of the fittings i need to put it on. This is the same in every case. As long as you dont use generic braid over rubber lines for fuel (cause it eats through that rubber after a while) then you should not have a problem. You would need proper braided FUEL LINE, it looks similar and probobly is the one used in the pictures pasted above.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Thu, 10 June 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 15:10

Mounting it up high sucks you will end up with oil everywhere when you change your filter, no mess and no fuss this way, not only that I want my engine bay to look nice and stock when Mr officer requests I pop the bonnet

Allan

Sorry I wasnt talking about the oil filter, I was talking about the water lines on my turbo. They stick out above the engine so using standard rubber hose will make it look like poo.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Thu, 10 June 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I had to drop the engine mounts to be able to turn and tighten this adapter and support the motor on a scissor jack

spends all that time and money on a 20v turbo conversion, and a horn looking\effective(or seemingly) oil cooler and the bloke cant even dish out for a trolly jack
i might be being unfair to the old scissor jack, but i just dont trust them....not at all(this comming from someone who used to change his oil with one side of the car propped up by a scissor jack and the rear on a slight down hill :/)
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Thu, 10 June 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the hose temp rating is for its internal/fluid temp, and that'll just be your water temp. i think you'll have to get with the manufacturer for specs for its outside temp limits & working environment.
the metal braiding/mesh is for abrasion resistance and/or to increase the working pressure & burst strength, and is not a heat shield, thought it partially acts like one & must help some.
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Braided hoses annd heat? Fri, 11 June 2004 06:20 Go to previous message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 13:09

All fittings were 1/2" NPT or #10 AN ends, which are the same size the NASCAR teams use on their oil coolers. This is the size to go with if you do any type of long spirited driving (especially in 90+F summer temps) or have a moddified 4AG that you rec the crap out of. 3/8" / #8 will be OK as well for a NA engine

3/8" is -6AN not -8AN Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2t Start up issues ... help!
Next Topic:22RE Rod bearing issue
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 15:00:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088808536529541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.