Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
icon5.gif  4agze head removal Tue, 08 June 2004 11:09 Go to next message
Currently I am trying to remove the head from my GZE and one of the bolts is sooo tight that I keep braking my socket extensions trying to losen it. I can remove the first bolt, but the second is way too tight? I was convinced a standard 3/8" drive socket with wrench would be sufficient without requiring a special tool, however toyota do make a special tool for it?

Does anyone have such a tool or know of where to get one from to remove these head bolts? I've called a toyota dealer and they weren't very helpful.

I think my only other option is to purchase an impact wrench that is capable of higher torques.

Cheers heaps,

Joel
  Send a private message to this user    
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4agze head removal Tue, 08 June 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bumpy...
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 4agze head removal Tue, 08 June 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first of all, buy QUALITY tools. stuff from crap stores like supercheap will break with high torque loads...

you dont need an impact wreanch for undoing these things, a breakerbar will suffice,something that willadd more leverage.

PS: PM me your msn/icq detailsif u have any dude.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4agze head removal Tue, 08 June 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Invest in a decentish 1/2 inch drive and breaker bar Smile

3/8 is for mechanno sets. No, 3/8 is ok for most things but strut to hub aseembly bolts etc and head bolts require a 1/2 inch and decent braker bar. I was using a 1/2 to 3/8 convertor on a head bolt and sheared the convertor straight away!

I have seen sidchrome at supercheap for pretty cheap about 200 se t. You may do better...

[Updated on: Tue, 08 June 2004 13:54]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to bunnings, get a superpro 1/2 inch drive socket set. i got mine for $130.

it has metric sockets from 10 to 32mm (i think) and AF sockets too, which i didnt want, but it is so much cheaper than buying thenm one at a time i didnt really care.

3/8 is just a bit pissweak.

then pipe the breaker bar handle if you a pansy Very Happy
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use a torque rachet, spray a lot of wb40, if its stll not off Shocked Shocked use the oxy and heat the bolt till its a light orange then use the torque rachet
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what the shit is a torque ratchet?

when the hell did i become a forums junky? i need to work on getting a life and getting my car on the road i think.
Laughing

using oxy is a bit extreme, just buy some decent tools!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Wed, 09 June 2004 10:48

use a torque rachet, spray a lot of wb40, if its stll not off Shocked Shocked use the oxy and heat the bolt till its a light orange then use the torque rachet

do you mean a torque wrench?
but ive never seen a torque wrench with a ratchet mechanism... Confused

dont use a torque wrench to undo nuts and bolts, its designed for tightening to a req. torque. it is a precision instrument.

if you keep breaking go an get some 3/4in truck sockets Evil or Very Mad
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Snap on make a ratchet torque wrentch, its also digitial.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woah thats cool
ill have to get me one of them...
how much is it, fairly moderately priced i imagine Rolling Eyes Laughing
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a steal!

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?P65=&am p;am p;tool=all&item_ID=8825&group_ID=985&s tore=australia&dir=catalog

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?tool=al l&item_ID=55264&group_ID=954&store=aus tralia&dir=catalog

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2004 08:09]

4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HighRolla wrote on Tue, 08 June 2004 23:24

Invest in a decentish 1/2 inch drive and breaker bar Smile

I have a decent 1/2 inch drive set, but the problem is that the passage to the bolt is very narrow, and it aint possible to get a 10mm 1/2" drive socket onto the bolt head, it hits the side of head.

This is probably why toyota created an SST for removing the tite mfs.

I've been using a 10mm 3/8" socket attached to an extension, attached to my torque wrench, and then a bmx frame on the end for lots of extra leverage! Rolling Eyes.

I am a little concerned using an oxytorch on my head Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your help
Cheers,
Joel

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit eh Sad

That's no good. You can't get a long skinny socket that sort of fattens up latter and connects to a 1/2 inch bar can you? Sounds like a headache Mad

File/grind down a socket? Try an alternative 1/2 inch as it may be different to yours?
Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A socket like this maybe?

http://members.westnet.com.au/rjo83/images/socket.jpg

It's a sidchrome 1/2" 10mm socket. Part no. is 14255, cost me about $11 I think.
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i reckon a socket like that might do the trick. I may require a little longer in length. Its the diameter of the drive end of the socket that gives me problems, if I could find one where the socket end is the same dia and extended to the drive end...if that makes any sense?

Thanks again for your help,

Cheers,
Joel
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know this might sound stupid but do not try to use an axe to help to remove the head. A guy i know tried this and wondered why it wouldn't move, dam head bolts. This guy also thought he would tig weld his name to the block
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza wrote on Wed, 09 June 2004 22:35

i know this might sound stupid but do not try to use an axe to help to remove the head.
Laughing Laughing

Yeah, that was going to be my second option Rolling Eyes Laughing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4agze head removal Wed, 09 June 2004 14:24 Go to previous message
hey dude

just took the head off a 4age last week

3/8 is quite weak, but that said we got the head bolts off ok with it

Quote:

I was using a 1/2 to 3/8 convertor on a head bolt and sheared the convertor straight away!

yeah, but also broke two of these earlier in the day

if you can get a good socket like the one above I would do that.. just pop down to repco or whatev and see what they have got

3/8 is risky.. but you can always put a nice bit of pipe on the breaker bar if you reeeeely want to risk the 3/8 bar

1/2 inch is invincible I have decided
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 front suspension
Next Topic:Bad Rattle in head area (see included movies) -- what we are doing now
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:26:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046918392181396 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.