Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
st162 temp gauge Wed, 12 May 2004 14:16 Go to next message
Recently I had to replace my 3s-fe radiator because it had a leak, I could of just got a new end tank for it but i decided to get a 3s-ge radiator as they're double walled and would provide more cooling.
I took the existing radiator out and put the new one in, but now my temp gauge isn't showing anything. There's not much involved in replacing radiators, i just unplugged and replugged the thermo. I checked fuses, but they all seem OK, i referred to my manual but the wiring diagrams are dodgy.
So can someone help me, or is it just that the new radiator is so cool Cool that the gauge doesn't show anything (unlikely)???
Cheers
Cooba
  Send a private message to this user    
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: st162 temp gauge Thu, 13 May 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SillyCar88

I had a customer order a radiator from me a while ago (to suit a 3S-GE).

Exactly the same thing happened to him as to you. When I got over to his place I removed to radiator cap and replaced it again, refilled the over flow bottle and then went for a drive.

From what I can see these engines develop air pockets and this appears around the temps sender for whatever reason.

Once we took it for a drive everything was back to normal. Just make sure you have connected all the appropriate sensors back up correctly and in the correct places.

It may sound like crap but it worked in this case with the same car, engine and customer twice.

Phil
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: st162 temp gauge Thu, 13 May 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers phil,
But nah i've done that a few times since i got the new radiator because the overflow was a bit empty, i'm a bit pedantic when it comes to little things like that. Maybe when i flush it, it may work, we'll see.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: st162 temp gauge Thu, 10 June 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK i bleed the radiator this weekend, and guess what? the gauge still doesn't work, i've loooked right through my manual and checked out several things such as solanoids and such, but the wiring diagrams in my manual suck, they arent specific enough, anyway if anyone has any suggestions please tell me because it pisses me off. Ohh, also it takes a fair while for the thermostat to switch on, i tested this when i ran my car with just pure water and the heater turned right up, it takes way too long i think. Hope that gives some ppl an idea
Cheers
Cooba
micRA28
Newcomer

February 2004
Re: st162 temp gauge Thu, 10 June 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar problem last week, except that I didn't change the radiator, the temp gauge just stopped working, turned out to be the connector to the sensor, it was a bit loose and corroded/dirty. I gave it a clean and sand and it worked right away. You probably know already, but for anyone like me who didn't know which one it was, it's the sensor closest to the engine with a single wire coming from it, on the housing which connects to the upper radiator hose.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 temp gauge Thu, 10 June 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so bro you ran it with the cap off and the heater ON till it got warm "??? ya gotta do that

ALSO

quick check the connector for the temp guage

it is located on the water outlet on the side of the head so on the right side when you are looking at the engine bay

it is the guage closest to the head

make sure it has a plug on it.. mine has fallen off before Wink
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: st162 temp gauge Thu, 10 June 2004 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes Rob I did that, exactly what are you taking about with the connector to the temp gauge (on the distributor side, correct?) remember everyone that i have the 3s-fe, even though that should make no differnce. But there is 2 sensors next to the head, a green one and a brown one, which one is the temp sensor? green I'm pretty sure.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 temp gauge Fri, 11 June 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only 2!? hmm

ok dude here is mine

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewlincolne/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2003-10-15%2006.23.26%20-0700/Image-ACC3A09AFF1011D7.jpg

the temp one is the blue one CLOSEST to the head.. prone to falling off Very Happy

can you see it?
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: st162 temp gauge Fri, 11 June 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OKAY sorry my bad, there's more than one Embarassed yeah there's the blue, brown and then the big green one. Whats the green one again?

By the way Rob have I ever told you your engine bay looks just the same as mine (apart form the engine differences) Laughing
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: st162 temp gauge Fri, 11 June 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright i just had a look and once again i am wrong *slaps myself* the 3sfe is actually a little different, it doesnt have three it has two so really I'm actually right in a way, but thats not the problem here, yes they are all connected and they seem in good nick so Im pretty much clueless on whats going on. Issue still unresolved.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 temp gauge Fri, 11 June 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well for a guage to read nothing there is only two possible solutions

a) it is in an air pocket and ain't getting any water to it to give a reading

b) it is unplugged somewhere

you sort the air problem by running with the cap off, giving it a few revvs till it gets warm (any car manual has step by step procedures for this)

checking the wiring.. well that is harder Confused My bet, find the temp sensor wherever it is and see if everything is cool. it is quite a small plug
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: st162 temp gauge Sat, 12 June 2004 11:09 Go to previous message
Rob? of course i checked for an air pocket especailly if i bled the cooling system, sorry you may not know my capabilities, but yeah i've checked a few plugs and fuses, its just that my manual isnt specific enough and has a few different abbreviations for temp gauge/coolant temp and treats them all as different subjects, its confusing because i just refer to the wiring diagrams but they also suck, by the way its a Haynes manual. It doest matter that much because it seems to be running alright enough, just theres some steam coming from the exhuast and the overflow slowly empties itself after a few weeks which i reckon points to HEAD GASKET, i should be sweet but, only a month or so till i get the halfcut. Thanks for the help though Rob and others
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1g-gte into gh sigma?
Next Topic:Crap V6 motors
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:33:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055902004241943 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.