Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Wed, 09 June 2004 11:17 Go to next message
Hey, I am worried for my engine, its just a stock 4AC, with 370000Kms, and recently whenever I am just rolling along with my foot off the gas it makes a pop noise from the exhaust pipe every now and then. Not as loud as a backfire, but the same sort of noise, just quiter??? I had it all checked, serviced and tuned not even a week ago, at Kmart, it used to make the noise before this, but now it is more often.
Has anyone had this probelm, or know what is causing it so I can fix it?
Thanks muchly in adance.
-Whitchy-
  Send a private message to this user    
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Wed, 09 June 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know which kmart you went to, but my parents had trouble with one kmart place.

Serviced and tuned is a very weak statement - usualy just oil change. Even if they do change spark plugs etc, there are a lot of other things to check. Sounds like your carby may need a "service" or rebuild. The noise may be unburnt fuel that is not fully combusting in engine and then combusting in hot exhaust. This could be just a mixture setting or a lot more.

Go to a trusted mechanic, ask around as a lot of mechanics don't have a clue what they're doing. Has the engine had a rebuild?, it could be down on compression, another reason for incomplete combustion. Ignition timing would be worth checking straight up. You need to eliminate possible causes to try and fix prob. If it's not that bad don't worry about it. Buy a motor for $50 from these forums if she blows and keep driving Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2004 13:31]

Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Wed, 09 June 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
370000 kays?

just kill the thing and get a 4age! Very Happy
Asher
Regular

July 2003
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Wed, 09 June 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got the same thing with my corona at the moment,

I had it really bad when just idling but then got the fuel/air mixture adjusted and the timing checked, and now it doesn't really do it but only mainly when its hot and being running for quite some time.

My mechanic said he wants it back to just fuck around with it and to find whats the real cause so next week thats getting done, but he said it can range from a hose (in the intake section) with a crack or split in it, to dripping injectors, he said thats the least likely thing because the car goes so well off idle.

My tip would be to take it to a auto-electrician, after he did his thing, the car starts noticable better and idles a shit load better, plus he might be able to diagnose the problem.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 June 2004 00:00]

bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Thu, 10 June 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 4ac running 3 pistons, drinks much oil has fuel and the thing still going always reving its nuts out
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Thu, 10 June 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...Which on 4ac, ain't too many revs...
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Thu, 10 June 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check for holes in your exhaust..
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Thu, 10 June 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overfuelling?

have a play with the mixture screws...could help
toynado
Regular

May 2004
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Fri, 11 June 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a bad o2 sensor can put too much fuel in the exhaust
like an exhaust leak
i assume that's wut the pop is
my 22re will pop at times with the hotter cam and o/s valves and opened up exhaust
why wouldn't any car with wide open throttle use ?
mixture goes down to like 12 to 1 ...
isn't that gonna put fumes in the pipes?
then you got that ultra hot catalyst it goes thru...
1ggrunty
Newcomer

June 2004
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Sat, 12 June 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you're deccelerating you're on you idle circuits, if its popping it means you've got a bit of a lean idle or vacuum leak, its not really a problem, i quite like it actually ( the popping), but if you want to get rid of it you can richen up your idle mixture.

Other thing that causes it is if your timing is too retarded or a combination of your idle mixture and timing
1ggrunty
Newcomer

June 2004
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Sat, 12 June 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basically, all other things been equal...

pops or caused by leaning out

backfires or caused by overfuelling
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Sun, 13 June 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you are still in gear, rolling with foot off the accel, then that occasional muffled popping is overrun. Carbs work on vacuum, your engine is drawing in more petrol than is required (because no load but wheels are still turning the engine at the road speed) and the fuel is ignited in the hot exhaust. Nothing major. In fact i reckon overrun is the most appealing sound of a modified exhaust.. just listen to a V8 Supercar coasting into a corner for an example.

cheers

tom.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Sun, 13 June 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 4ag crackles like a mofo on overrun

vrooommmmmmmm *bak* *bak* *bak* *bak* *bak*

hah
probably due to the hole in my exhaust tho

hohoho kinda cool though
sounds like a racecar.. hehe
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Sun, 13 June 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How does it go again Garth??? Razz Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Sun, 13 June 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it goesss.....

stfu! Wink
bernie_wsl
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Wed, 23 June 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you bring your car to Kmart??

i'll never ever bring my car to kmart again, they suck!!

last week, my clutch ware off, and need to replace a new clutch. The cost in Kmart is ...... $8XX Shocked

i just get shocked at that moment, then i had a discuss with my firend, and asked the cost of replacing a new startard clutch in another shop, which is $360........

i'm in melbourne
spoon33
Occasional Poster

October 2003

Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Wed, 23 June 2004 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my ex flatmates car was suffering fromt he same problem. it was retarded timing.
fixing as per the workshop manuals specs it fixed the problem.
Dom.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Wed, 23 June 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

my 4ag crackles like a mofo on overrun

vrooommmmmmmm *bak* *bak* *bak* *bak* *bak*

LOL mine sounds like Garths.... do it again Garth .. do it again!
walkie
Regular

October 2003
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Wed, 23 June 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust on your car?

All four cylinder cars I have driven do this. It normally happens when you go back a gear to slow down whilst descending a hill. An aftermarket exhaust will exacerbate the sound, but really it's nothing to worry about.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Thu, 24 June 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aftermarket exhaust... yes actually apart from the shell i dont think i have anything stock on my car LOL oh except the suspension.. at least till i get the coiliovers on Smile
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Thu, 24 June 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 4AC AE82 has been popping pretty much all of it's life. Even when I replaced the engine the same popping was there.

Sounds great through the 2" sports system! More like a BOOM than a pop Very Happy
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AC makes POP sound when not accelerating? Thu, 24 June 2004 08:04 Go to previous message
If you disconnect a a polution pump they will pop until you block the ports in the manifold with proper plugs.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE92 Sedan / Hatch rear seat belt question
Next Topic:JDM early model blinker same as AUS spec?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:49:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088760852813721 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.