Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 02:01 Go to next message
Hi all, Great website!

I am 17 and looking for my first car. I am currently looking at getting a Sprinter (AE86 i think) in preferably unmodified form or with very few mods. Would I be able to get one in good - v.good condition for under $8000? I live 3 hrs south of Perth, so I would prefer to buy from inside WA.

The reason for the need of unmodified form is my parents will not let me have a high power car (especially if it is more powerful than my dad's BMW X5! Cool ). Yet I want the potential for really good performance.

Note: This is an inquiry only!

Thanks Everybody
  Send a private message to this user    
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good luck Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 01 June 2004 02:22]

digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know, no extra stuff, like aftermarket suspension, exhausts, bigger supercharger, etc.

I am well aware that the sprinter did not come standard with the GZE engine. Thats why I specified "4A-GZE Sprinter"
truenolevin
Regular

September 2003
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u can find a stock 4ac one.. i can supply u with the rest of the stuff u need
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much will the stock form of the sprinter (4AC) set me back? Again good to very good condition plz.
JealousKat
Regular

April 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man i have a 4AGZE corolla. do your parents know the quality of these engines? dude they boot pretty hard so i would be careful if they are not keen on modified cars.
good luck but... check out Les' car in this forum. it has everything you need.

good luck champ!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
digitalpho3nix wrote on Tue, 01 June 2004 12:01

my parents will not let me have a high power car

Um ... and a 4AGZE is therefore a low power engine? Rolling Eyes

I am sure that insurance will prove your downfall if you do find one ...
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, to my parents it 'seems' relatively low powered compared to the high power 300kw+ cars i always talk about. It's a tactic, in order to get a reasonably powered car, Instead of a bum Laser or gay-ass bogan old commodores!
UUP-46X
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dude insurance is goin to kick you in the nuts, i'm 20 & it's goin to hurt my pocket a heap, anyways good luck, & check this one out,

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=36022&start=0&rid=3534&S=dc3d3fe524a 465b1854dfc693b9fc14d

Cheers,

Michael
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmmmmmmmmm?!

[walks away to look at the 4AGZE in the shed and the Sprinter in the backyard!]
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surprised CLG, you live in Perth. I live in Dunsborough! Whats the condition of those 'assets' of yours...
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For $8000 they could be made to be in very good condition!!!
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stuff that... I have only got $8k to spend anyway! Very Happy
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG is probably your best bet at getting a 4agze sprinter in good condition in perth i'd say...
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes

[gives up and goes to extract blood from a stone - it's easier sometimes!]
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JealousKat wrote on Tue, 01 June 2004 15:01

hey man i have a 4AGZE corolla. do your parents know the quality of these engines? dude they boot pretty hard so i would be careful if they are not keen on modified cars.
good luck but... check out Les' car in this forum. it has everything you need.

i reckon - get mine (see my signature)
good luck champ!

[Updated on: Tue, 01 June 2004 09:18]

CRAB-86
Regular

September 2003
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GLG is your man! I would take him up on his offer, I can vouch for his excellent workmanship/good customer service.
Cheers
Crab
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 01 June 2004 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets hear it for Clint! yay!

(im being serious by the way, not being a smart arse, ive never seen anyone else on here that comes as highly recommended as Clint for buying parts, or getting work done)

[Updated on: Tue, 01 June 2004 15:27]

truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Fri, 11 June 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thort u said u had 8k, CLG offers u one and u say "stuff that" hrmmmmmm Rolling Eyes
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Sat, 12 June 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG will make it super nice for you.. !
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Sat, 12 June 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres a hint - dont spend 8k on ur first car. now u did say that ur parents have beamers etc, so im guessing this is all daddies money anyways.

but u will crash this car, 90% chance

so u really should just get an old corolla (manual, rwd, cheap to fix) the wet season is here, pick one up for $500, weld the diff and go hard!

thatll teach u some car control, and when u crash it (notice i say when, not if) it doesnt matter coz its only a corolla...
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Sat, 12 June 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I am 17 and looking for my first car. I am currently looking at getting a Sprinter (AE86 i think) in preferably unmodified form or with very few mods.

this is abit confusing. You say you want a 4AGZE sprinter in your topic and then you state that you are after an 'unmodified' one or with a 'few mods' ?

The reason for the need of unmodified form is my parents will not let me have a high power car (especially if it is more powerful than my dad's BMW X5! Cool ). Yet I want the potential for really good performance.

Your dad will be in for a shock. When and if you get a 4AGZE sprinter, line him up on the way to work and give him a go, i can gaurantee you he will be wondering how much caffeine he'd had for breaky Laughing

Arch - couldn't have said it better myself.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Sat, 12 June 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i do agree with arch and audioslaver, BUT, if his parents are all cashed out, as i suspect they are...i dont think they are gonna want "an old smelly corolla" dropping oil in the driveway.......

im sure his parents would like to c him in a nice new reliable corolla, ae111 onwards...not some rust bucket that was really slow even in there day, dont get me wrong i LOVE old corollas but if the money is there i wouldnt get a newer car, NO older than an 86

if i were really poor and wanted cheap reliable transport then yeh ke30, but im sure his parents dont wanna be messin around with an 'unsafe' rustbucket,

as i said i agree with u guys but u have to look at it from his parents perspective...... Very Happy
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Sun, 13 June 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough if his parents have got the cash...

but dude, ask yourself this - would your parents be willing to fork out another 8k once u write off this 4agze sprinter? im guessing they wont be happy about it.

also, i just dont wanna see another sprinter end up wrapped around a pole..

trust me, old corolla is the way to go, even if u only have it for a few months, the knowledge/experience gained will be worth it
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Sun, 13 June 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't care what his parents think or if he totals it, just show me the money?!!!
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Mon, 14 June 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arch. i agree mostly with what u are saying but

a) if he crashes it, his parents obviously have the $$ to comp insure it, prolly bout $2000 - $3500 per year

b) he will respect the car more

c) cant bear to see another 86 wrapped around a tree, a LOT of people i know with 86's have crashed them, it happens u repair it, and im sure he wont be struggling for money when it comes time for repairs.....

but yes an old corolla would be good as a second car......
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Mon, 14 June 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 4agze sprinter is not a good 1st car...repeat not a good first car! The power to weight output of a GZE ae86 could be around 10kg/kW which is comparitive to like the new bmw z3s and z4s! This is very exessive for a beginner driver. To be driven safely on the road with suitable control, a GZE sprinter requires a resonable amount of suspension and braking upgrades.

I'm with Arch, I reckon if you have ambitions to own a GZE sprinter, start with a RWD corolla. Despite being a grandmas car, you should be able to find a respectable KE70 for around 1.5K. Driving this car hard will learn you some skills of how to handle a RWD. You can than move on from this and then upgragde to a sprinter and then upgrade power, suspension etc. By doing this you will learn so much more than purchasing a modded ae86, and by the time you have it to how you want it, you will understand how you car works, and how to control it and fix it when it fuks up or you crash it.

A stock sprinter could set you back anywhere between 2k and 4k, mostly depending on the owner's knowledge of how rare these cars are! Good luck...

digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Mon, 14 June 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am currently studying the viability of a Corolla GTi or even perhaps a Pulsar SSS. The Sprinter option is still on the cards, although I am a little concerned with the insurance premiums associated with it. If possible I want to buy a stock car (which pretty much rules out a GZE Sprinter), but the POTENTIAL for simple future modifications is a prerequisite.

As for everyone who reckons I am gonna crash my first car, I am trying to minimise this risk by taking a couple of BMW advanced driver training courses. So, I am not really interested in going fast until I am really confident in my driving skills. It's no fun if you end up in hospital.

I am particularly keen on a form of Corolla though, because there is a shiteload of info floating around about them, and it is apparently a good platform to start learning the technical in's and out's of cars in general.
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Mon, 14 June 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
digitalpho3nix wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 00:04

As for everyone who reckons I am gonna crash my first car, I am trying to minimise this risk by taking a couple of BMW advanced driver training courses. So, I am not really interested in going fast until I am really confident in my driving skills. It's no fun if you end up in hospital.

The risk can also be minimised by starting with a low powered car! I guess it depends though on how you drive it. If your young and interested in drifting, expect to crash. If you like to drive more sensibly and like to drag your risks may be greatly minimised. I take it that you are not interested in drifting as you have expressed interest in FWD cars. Just beware of understeer!

All the best in finding the right car,
Joel
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Mon, 14 June 2004 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Sun, 13 June 2004 14:36

also, i just dont wanna see another sprinter end up wrapped around a pole.

lol, The dude that bought my old KE70 said that his previous car was a sprinter, and he wrote it off trying to drift it in the wet with his car full of his mates in the wet. He wrapped it around a stoby!
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 15 June 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, your right there. Not interested in Drifting, unlike many others who are after an AE86 (I would get a 180SX or a Silvia if I wanted to drift). My boss has one; its a turbocharged GZE, its so wicked! The only things I will be doing on the road is the occasional drag off the lights. Other than that, I will drive quite sensibly. Even perhaps enter it in the local hill-climb once I get some more experience... But yeah, Corolla GTi (or SX if I can get my hands on one) or a Pulsar SSS.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 15 June 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Better to start off with a FF car. Less scary to understeer than oversteer for relatively new drivers. Knock urself out with handbrake turns till u get sick of it then go for an fr car.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 15 June 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
digitalpho3nix wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 08:22

perhaps enter it in the local hill-climb

All I'm gonna say is: "The Meelup Beach Hill Climb is absolutely awesome in a R32 GTR!!!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Tue, 15 June 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, you've been to the Meelup Hill Climb CLG! I live about 5 or 6 mins from there. Is the R32 you are referring to the yellow one that raced there a few years back? That was a wicked car. 'Nuff said.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 4A-GZE engined Sprinter wanted Fri, 18 June 2004 01:07 Go to previous message
No, I've done it in a couple of 32's, a grey one and a white one, a Renault Alpine, my RA28 Celica, and a few others.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:86 for sub 2K
Next Topic:For Sale 1984 Sprinter 4AGZE Sydney
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 19:04:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069022178649902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.