Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Fri, 11 June 2004 08:51 Go to next message
Ive been considering this one for a while, and thought i would open it up to the people of Toymods.
I am putting a full cage in my sprinter and have either of two options.

One, i can cut through the dash in order to keep as few bends in the cage as possible.

Or Two, i can go around the dash, but have more bends and hence a higher chance of structural collapse in an accident.

In both cases im also considering putting a bar from the cage through the firewall to the strut tower, and i think i would be able to do this in either setup.

What do you guys think? Also anyone know the RTA legalities on this topic, i havnt been able to get onto the engineer i normally talk to in the ACT because he is on holidays.

Opinions?
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Fri, 11 June 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cage strength should be your first priority.

no point increasing your inertia in a crash without having extra strength to show for it..

will you have enough space for headroom (legality wise) to be able to register it?

as a general rule, full cages are a no-no in NSW.. ACT might be more lenient tho..

[Updated on: Fri, 11 June 2004 09:05]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Fri, 11 June 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i am more partial to having the cage run through the dash. And i was under the impression that a full cage was legal in the ACT, but i cant find out for a little while. The RTA are useless there, and ill probably just wait until im back in Canberra for a little while.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Fri, 11 June 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Run it throught the dash, and build and register the car as a rally car. That way, when you come to sell it, you have a market for the car, unlike an AE86 with an illegal cage in it!
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Fri, 11 June 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In NSW it is posible to get your car registered (with the appropriate engineers certificate) normally with a half cage in place.

The car will then be registered as a two seater. Make sure the main hoop of the cage is at least 30cm from where your head is going to be when you are in the car. Might as well get it built to CAMS spec as well.

You can then have the front section of the cage made so it can be bolted in and out - which means going around and under the dash I guess.

If you do go the option of getting it registered as a rally car you will find that your on road activites are quite restrictive.

Either way I think you better confirm the legalities in ACT for such a mod. Also talk to CAMS as you don't want cage they will not register.

Cheers
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Fri, 11 June 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i had been referring to my CAMS manual quite extensively until it coagulated in an accident involving a liquid spill (mmm coffee). And so i need a new one as the pages around the cages section are impregnated with coffee and quite brown.

Was a 2000 edition anyway, needed updating.

As for rally registration, i would much rather have my car free to take to track meets. Rally reg is very restrictive in the ACT from memory, although ill have to confirm this one.
Im pretty sure we are allowed to have full cages in the ACT although talking to a friend who is still back there is making me doubt that now for some reason. If we arnt i may make the front arms and cross brace boltable in, but whether i do this on the dash or to the floor is another matter. Hiding the boltable pads on the dash would be VERY easy to do, or indeed to build them just under the dash and swap the dash for a non cutout dash when not using the full cage.

Ill have to figure it all out now, grrr RTA being so useless.
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sat, 12 June 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the front/dash of a sprinter similar to the ae82 hatch? I ran my front legs in a straight line down from where the roof hits the windscreen to a point roughly where the floor turns up into the firewall, this missed the dash although i had to cut a small section away from the plastic lower part of the dash on each side. You may have to relocate the electrics that attach to the kick panel. We then replaced the bolt-in bar under the dash (that the steering column and under dash parts attach to) with a welded in member. We also put bars through the firewall and onto the front strut towers as well. If you want I can email you some photos of what it all looks like. Here in QLD we can have a full cage on the road but it must be engineering certified and seating capacity changed. I can also try and scan the '04 cams manual bits you need if you want them too.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sat, 12 June 2004 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im picking up my '04 CAMS manual as part of the plethora of things to do on Tuesday, but some pictures would be great.
I think my email is in my profile.
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too easy, piccies on the way.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
through dash, for sure.

what you may want to look into doing is taking ALL of the interior trim out and welding the cage to whatever pillars it runs along too.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a safety 21 from cusco if you can

around dash, winner design!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the "safety 21" CAMS approved? or does it just have bling factor witht he name?
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You've got to make sure that it is to a cams design if you want to get a logbook and compete in cams sanctioned events. Always use the latest cams manual for the spec. too cos the buggers change it.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sun, 13 June 2004 21:12

Safety-21 is NOT a CAMS approved design. It is a cosmetic cage made out of 2" steel which has little chance of protecting you in an accident other than a roll over.

Basically useless. I have access to one if i wanted it though.
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is pretty much no replacement for a fully welded in rops, not in CAMS eyes anyway. In a way it's good 'cos it's the safest option for a car, which by the sounds of other posts of yours takai, is going to be a rwd weapon that should be capable of some ridiculous corner speeds. In another way it's bad 'cos it means that you've no longer got a nice street car, it's now a racecar and this seems to turn a lot of guys away from rallying, having to have 2 cars, a nice drive car and your toy.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Sun, 13 June 2004 22:06

ae86drift wrote on Sun, 13 June 2004 21:12

Safety-21 is NOT a CAMS approved design. It is a cosmetic cage made out of 2" steel which has little chance of protecting you in an accident other than a roll over.

Basically useless. I have access to one if i wanted it though.

actually works well in a rollover. well from the cusco promo dvd i saw...
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in any case.

Quote:

In both cases im also considering putting a bar from the cage through the firewall to the strut tower, and i think i would be able to do this in either setup.

this is the best design if your building a dedicated race car.
above and beyond the best for structural rigidity and safety in accidents

but once that firewall is cut, you can kiss the road registerable part goodbye. no WAY in hell will anyone let this onroad on a full rego, MAYEB a rally rego but thats useless for road going, weekend warrior.

also, as far as i know, only way to rego ae86's in aus is to be fitted with half cage and rego'd as 2 seaters as per youngys previous post.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, thats why i said in anything other than a roll over Garth. Ive seen the same CUSCO promo as you.

But i want my cage for roll over as well as significant side impact which is where most of the hits are from the sides.

Thanks for the kind words paddles, i am going this far as i already have a second car, and the AE86 will be a mostly dedicated race car. I say mostly as at first ill have to drive it to the track etc as i dont have a trailer. Therefore the cage will have to be RTA approved as well as ROPS.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
right.
sorry. must have misread.

i have the impression the cusco was a fairly robust and semi-legal full cage. you have heard otherwise? i wouldnt exactly call it "cosmetic". obviously not a 'race car' cage, but still fairly good at protecting the driver in a roll over i would imagine.

i think your going to have issues getting 'CAMS approved' and 'road legal' in the same cage design. especially with the nazi attitude of the RTA in nsw and ACT. not to mention the ridgid rules of the CAMS scrutineers.

but correct me if im wrong by all means! because that would bring much joy to many people with ae86's i believe! Smile
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, a Cusco Safety21 copy (3" tube rather than the 2 or 2.5 which is used normally) is a perfectly acceptable ROPS cage. But to put it quite simply the design is useless for anything other than rolling it. And when it comes down to it on road rally, and most circuit events a side impact is heaps more likely than a roll.
Rolling mostly occurs during rallys and other uneven surface events.
But even for this i woudlnt trust the Safety21 on its own, to put it quite simply a 6point non crossbraced cage just isnt strong enough. Even the CAMS regulations specify at least one crossbrace in the main hoop and roof area.

Now it all depends on the RTA, but from everything ive heard the ACT RTA are actually pretty good about it. Infact from talking to some BMSC people there are actually a couple of people who run full cages in road-legal cars.

As for the cosmetic comment, i (and many different engineers) use this to term a generic bolt in cage which may provide some structural integrity but not a great deal, and are mainly produced in order that street cars can look good. No offense intended if its being used for a proper purpose.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Sun, 13 June 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paddles: can i post those pictures for other people to see?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Mon, 14 June 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a bit on an aside to this, a recent CAMS newsletter hinted that further roll cage changes are planned by the governing body, the FIA. Now along with the requirement for additional cross bracing in the roof and the front hoop legs, there will be new provisions made for a bolt-in set-up.
Try the CAMS website for the latest details.
Mitch.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Mon, 14 June 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, ill be sure to ask for a paper copy of that newsletter tomorrow.
Should be interesting.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Mon, 14 June 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could you give a link for those details on the CAMS website please. As all I found was:

The Roll Over Protection Section of the CAMS web site is currently being reviewed as a result of rule changes coming into force for 2004.

An updated set of information will be posted soon (last updated 17 March 2004).

For more information please contact the CAMS National Office.
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Mon, 14 June 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah takai, post em up. I'm wondering if you should maybe have a chat with a local car builder in the ACT to find out what the requirements are to get it road rego'd. It sounds as if we've got it a bit different up here in QLD because a cams design rops can be approved by our dept of transport for road use. Something else you should be aware of is that if you ever want to do an event that is an FIA sanctioned event (eg. targa tassie) then you will need to have the cage built to an FIA standard, this used to be an additional cross brace but i think it has changed to additional corner bracing as well. Mine is a CAMS spec only 'cos I only do club level and state championship level events. The thing that all you other guys with the bolt in "off the shelf" type cages should be considering is that a correctly installed cage is the backbone of your car and along with the seam welding it will considerably stiffen and strengthen the shell, that's why you build it from strut tower to strut tower, I just can't see how a bolt in basic cage will do this.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Mon, 14 June 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok here they are guys

http://www.dysfunction.ws/galleryapp/cages

As for checking details, i currently live in Melbourne, but all my affiliations are with ACT clubs and i still have my ACT licence. But i am going back for a holiday soon, so i will be able to make some enquiries.

EDIT: Oh yeah, ill be making a second shell eventually. Most likely next year. So i want something which is reasonably portable. To the extent that i can cut it out of this car and reweld it in the next shell. The next shell will be the next level. Fully seam, stitch and spot welded.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 June 2004 13:05]

stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Roll Cage: Through Dash, or Around Dash. Tue, 15 June 2004 11:35 Go to previous message
It will be very unlikely that you will be able to transport a properly welded cage from one car to another Sad . The only way you could do so is by cutting off the roof No No No . A good cage is put together like a jigsaw puzzle, and every piece is cut to exacting size, so once you try to cut it out nothing will fit properly. Also if you re-weld over an area that has been previously weld/then cut away and cleaned up it will lose its structural integrity. My advice would be, if you are building another shell, then wait and put a proper cage in that one only Very Happy .

Cheers

Jeff Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:split near the top of my radiator
Next Topic:4AGTE exhaust
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 10:19:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072021484375 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.