Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
AE101 Expansion Plans Sun, 13 June 2004 05:13 Go to next message
Hey there guys and girls,

My names Asiri, long time reader, first time poster:D Anyway my venerable AE101 has been yelling out at me to slot a new power source between her struts, so through spoken word, I've been told to come on here, and talk to you guys as to the best options. And before anyone asks, yes I have used the search funtction. So far shes had abit of work done to it, just mainly audio, and visual mods.

My budget ranges from $5000 - $10 000

Option 1 - Asiri "The Day Dreamer"
3SGTE I know it would involve changing engine mounts, and the cost alone would be enough to justify invading a small defencless third world nation to fund, however what am I looking at in terms of cost, motor, and time frame. I'd also require a Transmission swap as my current box is an auto. Razz I know its a very generic question, but I need some background notes prepared before I start this journey.

Option 2 - 20 Valve Conversions (Preferably AE111 with 6 Speed. I got this priced today from Charlie at the Good Performance Center, where my mates getting a hybrid B20B with a B16A head thrown into his lude, he quoted my $6500 - $7000 for motor, and gearbox, installed, and tuned. I know this is pretty expensive, as I've seen this conversion done with figures of $3K -$4K in the pricing department.

Again, thanks in advance, for any hints, and or advice.

Cheers
Asiri
  Send a private message to this user    
Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Sun, 13 June 2004 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your budget extends to $10 000, then a 3sgte conversion is quite possible. It's becoming more common (into ae92's anyway), and it's just a matter of finding a workshop that has done this conversion before and knows what they are doing.

In brisbane, I know crossley street and race engineering has done one recently.

My personal opinion, don't bother with the 20v. I know people who have done both gze and 20v conversions and they would pick the gze over the 20v any day. I have recently done a gze conversion into my ae92 sx, and it's a big improvement over the 4age. An ae111 6 speed halfcut will cost you $3000, plus labour, parts, etc.

Your other option is to put in a gze from an ae101. Probably the cheapest option, and everything will bolt in. But if I had $10k I would go the 3sgte.

Also, go to www.twincam.org and ask there as well.
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Sun, 13 June 2004 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm located in sunny Sydney, in the Hills District to be exact. After going down the custom paint, stereo, wheels path, I've finally decided its time to invest in the motor and suspension.
Heres a list of mods done so far:

Toyota Corolla AE101 1995 Sedan
Stock Motor - 7AFE
Hurricane Headers - Liverpool Exhaust
Highflow Cat - Liverpool Exhaust
2.25inch Stainless Steel Exhaust through to a relatively generic muffler 4.5 inch tip. - Liverpool Exhaust
Lowered 2.75inches allround on King Springs
18inch Enkei GZeros, with 205/35 R18 Rubber
Respray in Candy Apple Red with marbelising, and, wait for it,
AIR BRUSHING !!!! Razz Yes, I know, but I like it.

Stereo - This is my true passion:
Clarion VRX925 DVD Player
Audison VRX6.420.2
Dynaudio System 340
Dynaudio Esotar Tweeters
JL Audio 12w7
Xtant X1001 Monoblock

Other than that, shes an auto, which too would need to be changed when I get the engine conversion done.

Thanks for the reply Rob83, I'll try and justify my reasoning for not going down the GZE route, and opting for the 20 valve, again feel free to prove me wrong guys its all a learning curve for myself:

I'm under the impression that the 20valve has VVTI, which in my books means, amongst other things, a much smoother drive, as compared to a regular EFI motor such as the GZE. I could be wrong, but I'm primarily after a smooth and comfortable drive. When speaking to a mechanic, he told me that AE111 Halfcuts with the 6 speed Transmission are extremely rare, and gave me a figure near the $5K mark for the motor and gearbox alone, and another $2.5k for labour. I've rung around 5 or so workshops, and some have even laughed at me when I asked them about the pricing and availability of AE111 halfcuts and gearboxes.

Basically in short, I suppose I'm asking as to which work shops in Sydney would be adept at performing the 3SG Conversion, and what price roughly do you think I'd be looking at. The reason I"m asking is, I wouldn't want to go and say I've got 10k to offer, and the convo could set me back $8k, which would leave me with the other $2k to spend on suspension mods.

As for the 20valve, and GZE options, again, what price do you guys think I'd be looking at for the AE111 and 6 speed half cut and labour. Again, sorry for the generic nature of the questions.

Cheers
Soapy

Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Mon, 14 June 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't see how the 20v would be a smoother ride, you really have to rev the crap out of it to get the full performance from it.

Rolin Automotive (http://www.japparts.com.au/) on the gold coast has a blacktop halfcut with 6 speed listed as in stock for $3000. You'd have to get it transported to sydney, but that's only a couple of hundred dollars. Still cheaper than $5k, which in my opinion is a joke.
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Mon, 14 June 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I don't think they've update that page in a while, as they were one of the first places I called, and they said it was sold. I'm seriously leaning towards the 3SGTE, as I said, a rough ball park figure would be what I'm after.

Basically covering, Realistic Price, Conversion costs, including gearbox, and if any particular workshops in Sydney have previously undertaken such a conversion in any FWD variant of corolla, doesn't have to be an AE101.

As long as I can sit down, and have them really talk me through whats involved, and the feasibility of it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the 3SGTE convo done, its just upon approaching some work shops they seem hesitant to give me a quote let alone even acknowledge that the jobs doable. I don't understand. Heres what I figure I'd be looking at, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

Motor and gearbox: $3500 - $4000
Labour (thats incl everything, computer, dyno, new mounts, etc): $4000 - $5000

Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Mon, 14 June 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't help you with labour quotes, etc. since I have never done a 3sgte conversion nor do I personally know anyone who has done one.

However this link might answer some of your questions regarding what's involved:

http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 5568

Also post there and ask if there any workshops in sydney that have undertaken this conversion.
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Mon, 14 June 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sent you a pm!
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Mon, 14 June 2004 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Croydon autosports, BD4's have done a 3SGTE conversions to AE92, which only have minor differences between your AE102
Quote:

Still cheaper than $5k, which in my opinion is a joke.

Have to agree, and most have 80,000+ km, I only paid $3500 in 2000 for mine, with 30,000 on the clock, but in sydney, that is the going rate, don't know why?
heruur
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Mon, 14 June 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soap,
any pics of your car?
sounds pretty sweet..

btw,whats stopping you from forced induction?
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Mon, 14 June 2004 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dabbid - PM Replied to my friend !!! Very Happy

Rod83 - Thanks for all the replies mate. And again, I can't agree more, when he started spewing forth figures of $5k for motor and gearbox, my brain just started shutting down, unfortunately I had to spend the rest of the time faining interest, as he, like soooooo many other workshops I visited (don't worry no names will be divulged mods !!!) initially started to talk me out of what I had originally planned, and tried flogging of exsisting stock to me, its so frustrating.

Johnny - Truth be known, your car is actually responsible for this decision, lol, I love what you've done, and look forward to meeting you one day so I can have a look. 20valve blacktop, and 6 speed box, nice !!!! I'll get in contact with BD4's and Croydon soon, however I'm extremely hesitant to go and get a quote, yes there great workshops, and there quality is reknowned, unfortunately I shudder to think what they'll quote, after seeing what they quoted my friend for a simple 20 valve conversion. Again, I'm sure there justified in charging those amounts, but I'd like to see the whole conversion fall under the $9-$10k mark.
I'll be getting my licence back after 6 looooooooooong months on the 4th of July, so thats when I'll take her out to those above mentioned places.

heruur - Believe it or not, I've got a digital camera, unfortunately I also have a younger sister (no comments boys) and shes allways got the damn camera, but its time I got off my lazy arse and took some shots. I'll post pics up tomorrow, after I was her today, Razz

As allways, thanks for the replies guys !!!!

Cheers
Soapy
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE101 Expansion Plans Tue, 15 June 2004 04:50 Go to previous message
Quote:

so I can have a look

Be quick the car will be on sale soon as we are just starting a new one... FX-GT Corolla Seca (Three door version of mine)
Quote:

one day so I can have a look. 20valve blacktop, and 6 speed box, nice !!!!

The six is behind a 110WHP 7A, the Blacktop resides in an AE82 the Fiancee drives..... have got complete wiring diagrams for B/T's drawn up. Mine also incl the actual colours which the standard 20V ECU's need to hookup to in AE82, 92 and 102's body wires, Cool I'm working on the S/T 20V and GZE as we speak.... thinking of doing a few more after that 1G, etc..... Just need to find time Crying or Very Sad....
But for real HP in yours the 3SGTE is a weapon, will be expensive to do. B/T is ok to put around, but they need to be revved to get the best out of them ie no torque.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:crank case breather, do i need it
Next Topic:Power Steering work (from Celica)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 03:22:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037729740142822 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.