Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What toyotas had low coolant sensors?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 03:01 Go to next message
Im looking for an overflow bottle off some kind of toyota to warn me if i ever get low on coolant.

My old fairmont had one of these and it saved me cooking the car when a radiator hose burst.
Anyone know what toyotas had them? Preferable a common one so i can have one on each supra Wink

Thanks
Blake

Oh and allan, i know ma45's had them Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow... Never knew these things existed...

Would it be possible to get the sensor out of a fairmont and mount it into your overflow bottle???
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didnt some MZ20 Soarers have them?

I seem to recall something about it somewhere in the past

But why bother?
Why not be normal and have a glance at the temp guage every minute or so?
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always watch the guages every time I drive... I check all the guages as I check the speedo...

I also check all levels weekly just to be sure...
goro
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my old uz v8 soarer had them.....
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why just fit any sort of float sensor?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the fairmont one was like a probe in the bottom of the filler bottle...

it saved my car from cooking..it told me before the engine even started to get hot.

I was wondering what this flashing bottle alarm was...pulled over to discover a split hose!

I believe 110% in them!

Plus ma61 overflow bottle is ugly and shit...i want a new, non orange one
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
float sensor tells u when its empty...not when its low thats all Confused
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it be possible to do the same sort of setup as the float sensor in a fuel tank hooked up to a gauge???
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Double Post... Delete me...

[Updated on: Tue, 15 June 2004 12:48]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be, but a lot easier to do it the way i want with a found overflow bottle somewhere Wink
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehe...

Why not search for a Ford overflow bottle like you had before???
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cos it had ford on it Razz

and it also has about 4 pipes..its the filler bottle as well
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 15 June 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 23:07

cos it had ford on it Razz

and it also has about 4 pipes..its the filler bottle as well

u have a ford engine.. may as well give it a nice home next to the bottle Razz
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Wed, 16 June 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah johal, because it is also the filler bottle, id have to fully re-route my radiator system..too much stuffing around...
So i have to look at zz30's what else?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Wed, 16 June 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id say it would only be in the full luxo barges
so most of the lexus range
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Wed, 16 June 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shame theres not many around at wrecker yards Sad

Anyone know ifthey are on mx83's or anything else?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Wed, 16 June 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe on the grande's?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 17 June 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for narrowing it down to one model fellas Wink
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 17 June 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow I didn't know toyota had these! cool Very Happy

I will have to get one

I would like it mounted kinda near the top of the radiator or something
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 17 June 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey motherfucker i said im getting 2 first damn it! Mad

Razz
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 17 June 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rofl

oh yeah.... Mad
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 17 June 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah bitch Evil or Very Mad
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 17 June 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Thu, 17 June 2004 17:46

hey motherfucker i said im getting 2 first damn it! Mad

Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing ... ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny bastard you are...
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 17 June 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what ever happenned to the old fashion way
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sat, 19 June 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can get the packages through repco with a sensor and all...the sensor is put in your rad so you know when your low of water...just needs a few wires to get it going.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sat, 19 June 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet...any idea how much ben?
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 20 June 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They retail for $90 through repco then just get a rad shop to put your sensor in your tank.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 20 June 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didnt get much of a chance to look around, but i noticed at a wreckers today, the one out of a coon filler bottle is actually like a float thing..very cheap looking! Laughing
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 20 June 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are not that cheap to buy. plus you still need the rest of the setup and a bottle to place it in. Keeping in mind if you use the coon bottle then it musty be setup at the right heights in comparison to the rad. better to go aftermarket if your car doesnt already have it.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 20 June 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah was just passing comment the stock coon one looks a bit cheap...my search goes on to find another one elsewhere!
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 20 June 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds good
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 11 July 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i still havent found a toyota one *sigh*

Anyone manage to find one out there somewhere?
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 11 July 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blake..if all else fails then i can get them built and just use a normal low water sensor with the aqua alert system on it...why nut just use a falcon one as they are easy to come by
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 11 July 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are also a filler bottle though, so they have about 4 hoses coming out...i guess i could always block them off though Confused

Whatd i be looking at for a grouse alloy one ?

[Updated on: Sun, 11 July 2004 10:15]

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Mon, 12 July 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well working on a Hiace the other day, pulled out the coolant bottle to find a low coolant sensor...

Seems all Hiace's have them... Well this one was around an early 90's model... RCH12R or something...

Happy hunting...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Mon, 12 July 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooooo i like the sound of it..dont have a description/ pics handy do you?

Was it big ?

[Updated on: Mon, 12 July 2004 11:25]

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Mon, 12 July 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Description??? Of the bottle???
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Mon, 12 July 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, the bottle.

Is it oval, or square or??

If its the right one i might pop by the wreckers tommorow and scab one out of a van Very Happy

thanks mate
Blake
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Mon, 12 July 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it's like half a square but cut diagonally if you get me...

Neat little bottle, easy to mount... Mount at the top and the bottom...
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Mon, 12 July 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

You can use a window-washer bottle also. A lot of these have low-water sensors. I'm assuming you're talking about the overflow bottle for a pressurised radiator system? So, you only need something that will take about a litre or so - cos not much goes in and out of the bottle, and a washer bottle will suffice for such a task.

Failing that, you can get any type of bottle or resovoir you wish (prolly Toyota one is better) and fit a level sensor in it yourself. Water sensor kits can be bought from Dickhead Smiths or Jaycar and they cost about $10. They have an output that can drive a LED or relay or whatever you fancy.

Mind you though, if your pressure system is sucking out the water from the resovoir and it isn't being replaced, I'd have a long and serious look at your coolant system for leaks.

seeyuzz
river
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Mon, 12 July 2004 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think its just easier to do it the nice one check up a week that takes 4 seconds(providing the hood is still up)
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 13 July 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats not the purpose of it thought johal, Im more worried that when im racing around a track/ doing whatever one day, i get a puncture in my core/ tank for whatever reason. I'd like to know my car is loosng coolant rapidly before i boil an engine thats cost me an arm and a leg!

Good idea re the washer bottle...in most instances they are more attractive to loook at as well!

Blake
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 13 July 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id do it if it cost me shit all lol
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Tue, 13 July 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably $15 Smile
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 15 July 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I gave this some thought and maybe someone here can clarify this for me...

If you're running a pressure radiator system and you get a leak somewhere, the pressue will force out the water, and as there is a leak in the system, it won't suck water back in from the resovoir, will it?

Normally the hot water goes out, via pressure, into the resovoir when the coolant is hot, but, after it has cooled down there is a vacuum in the radiator (due to the coolant cooling) and this sucks the fluid back from the resovoir.

Please illuminate me!

seeyuzz
river
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 15 July 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your assumptions are correct Smile
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 15 July 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Okay. Help me out with this one, then....

You're racing around the track and the engine is hot and has expelled some coolant into the resovoir, as per normal.

If you get a leak in your system (other than in the resovoir itself) the coolant will leak out, but won't suck the resovoir amount back into the radiator. Ergo, your resovoir may say its okay and has coolant, but the main cooling system is losing water and the engine is over heating. Won't this be the case?

If so, a sensor on the resovoir level won't help you in this situation, will it?

What would be better is a flow meter that detects water flowing through the pipes and if it gets zero (or little) flow then it can flag this as a problem. It would have to tie in with the thermostat 'cos when cold there is very little flow until the thermostat opens.

Does this sound reasonable?

seeyuzz
river
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 15 July 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what I was thinking...

Hmmm... Now you've got us all thinking...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 15 July 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds like a lot of trouble Sad

The easiest would be a sensor in the bottom rad tank...
The overflow bottle sensor would do me, 302s dont Blow head gaskets Wink

Edit: However i may need something different for the ma70 Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2004 11:28]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 15 July 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old desiel ford courier utes have low coolant sensors in the radiator - two i think - they go close-circuit on no coolant and turn on an irritating buzzer in the cabin.

They (or the wiring) are slightly prone to false triggering - particularly if the rad's been boiled over a few times. (well the ones i've come into contact had)

As for checking the overflow bottle - use your eyes when bonnet is lifted - by the time you've seen a light, the damage's been done...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 15 July 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the 500ml thats in the overflow bottle can leak out pretty quick if you have spat a rad hose or something Confused
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 15 July 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you blow a hose, you're not going to suck the contents of the overflow bottle back into the engine.

unless you're remoting the pressured fill cap?

eitherway - the steam from under the hood and rising temp guage should give you enough warning to shut down

i'd worry about other stuff - maybe oil temp (seeing as your have a cooler) or/and oil pressure (ditto).
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Thu, 15 July 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have oil pressure and oil temp already Smile

My reason for doing this - just the fact that on my old coon, when it split the top rad hose, the alarm going off told me there was no coolant before the car even started going above normal!

hence my thinking its a great idea...

Blake
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 01 August 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woot! i got one today from a wreckers...sure enough out of a hiace..mine was an old school one so hopefully the sensor works!!
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 01 August 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol... Go the HiAce!!!

What model did it come out of???
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 01 August 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh damn..good question! an oldie Wink

Thanks for telling me they had them btw!
And no, taragos dont have them either!
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Sun, 01 August 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries dude...

Glad that my knowledge comes in handy sometimes...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: What toyotas had low coolant sensors? Mon, 02 August 2004 10:39 Go to previous message
"bows down to you"

Thanks man seriously...otherwise i could spend all day at work trying to find one without looking hard enough Smile

Blake
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:160kw 4AGZE?
Next Topic:Chaser/pimp cruiser ideas?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 00:12:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010213851928711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.