Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
clutch shudder in 1st gear only Mon, 14 June 2004 04:04 Go to next message
Guys

I've had a new clutch installed 3 weeks ago.. Was working fine till yesterday when it started going werid.

After the car has warmed up I cant seem to take off in 1st gear and the thing shudders until the clutch has bitten and is reving over 3/4k then it goes smooth. All other gears are fine but i can only seem to use 2nd gear as take off as im affriad ill do damage.

What could be the cause of this? I've checked the torque mounts and they seem ok.. Engine mounts are ok.

Could this be incorrect clutch alignment?
  Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: clutch shudder in 1st gear only Mon, 14 June 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok the clutch is once again not disengaging Sad

i had bled the clutch and now it wont go in gears. reverse clashes. its a 3 week old clutch i have no trashed it or down any high revving take offs maybe the odd 7k rpm change.

what could it be?

there seems to be vibration from the engine which goes away slight when the clutch is pushed in and the mounts look fine.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: clutch shudder in 1st gear only Mon, 14 June 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will it go into gears once it has warmed up?

[Updated on: Mon, 14 June 2004 05:22]

SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: clutch shudder in 1st gear only Mon, 14 June 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we'll ive just tried adjusting the pedal and nothing. for some strange reason its worse now.

i came home to maybe give the clutch a bleed. it was driving fine going into gears but it started to be reluclant upshifting to 2nd and 1st. having bleed the clutch it now wont go in anygear when the engine is on. Sad

looks like ill have to get another clutch face again. argh why the hell.

BTW

Exedy part # - TYD035U clutch disc

is this the heavy duty type? its also used in the 1.8L Mr2's and 7AFE's.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch shudder in 1st gear only Mon, 14 June 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I gather that you have adjusted the clutch pedal so that its got maximum travel?...ie the pedal starts to exert pressure straight away?

Did you replace the clutch and pressure plate, or just the clutch?

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging....have you thought that it might be a pressure plate problem, or a master/slave issue (are either leaking, btw this isn't definite, the master may have an internal leak as well which won't leak?...), or of course adjustment.

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch shudder in 1st gear only Mon, 14 June 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I gather that you have adjusted the clutch pedal so that its got maximum travel?...ie the pedal starts to exert pressure straight away?

Did you replace the clutch and pressure plate, or just the clutch?

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging....have you thought that it might be a pressure plate problem, or a master/slave issue (are either leaking, btw this isn't definite, the master may have an internal leak as well which won't leak?...), or of course adjustment.

Cheers
Wilbo
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: clutch shudder in 1st gear only Mon, 14 June 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeap its set at maximum travel tried adjusting just then still no luck.

found out that my front gearbox torque mount is loose Sad one of the threads was on the way out.

dad reckons ive stuffed up the syncros in the gearbox but i highly doubt it.

the hole kit was swapped over. new pressure plate, clutch disc. just not the release bearing as i still have it here brand new..
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: clutch shudder in 1st gear only Tue, 15 June 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had this exact problem with my the clutch in my sprinter, at first I just had trouble getting it into gear every now and then, and then when I stopped at a set of lights, I couldn't get it into gear, and when I tried reverse it just crunched.
Got it towed to a garage and he said that heaps of bolts were loose, and that the master cylinder was screwed.(im pretty sure it was the master) and I also think he said something about 2pieces being not lined up properly?
I'll find the paper work a bit later and list the stuff that was causing the problem.
Hope this helps a bit.
-Whitchy-
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: clutch shudder in 1st gear only Tue, 15 June 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witchy

Thats what I assume now..

I had bled the master cylinder clutch line and it now goes into all most every forward gear. still wont budge into reverse

i have found one of the bell housing threads lose. will check it out.. sucks having your daily driver off the road arghhhh
toynado
Regular

May 2004
Re: clutch shudder in 1st gear only Tue, 15 June 2004 19:02 Go to previous message
flywheel wuz not resurfaced?
that can cause new clutch judder...
if it's bad enuf i imagine it could damage the friction disk
but i'd make sure it's not insufficient hydraulic pressure first
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:duz the cat converter work as a spark arrestor?
Next Topic:TwinSpot Calipers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:31:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046029090881348 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.