Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
icon6.gif  ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Thu, 10 June 2004 09:48 Go to next message
Picked up an ST162 last week.

Bought from original owner, 101,000 kms. Smile

Hasn't had any mods done to it besides a new sound system (Clarion HU, Clarion 4", 6") and central locking / imobiliser.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v298/st162/side_angle_small.jpg
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v298/st162/interior_smaller.jpg
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v298/st162/overhead_small.jpg
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v298/st162/interior_2_small.jpg
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v298/st162/rear_small.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 10 June 2004 11:18]

Send a private message to this user    
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Thu, 10 June 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
congratulations Patrick
thats looks a really nice car.
welcome to the 162 club
look after it.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Thu, 10 June 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice pickup there.
Remember if you need any help I'm sure alot of people here will jump at the opportunity (There's some nutters on here that will kill for the black interior), just don't ask me for help, because i dont know anything and am happy with a blue one.
Nah Just kidding Patrick, welcome aboard.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Thu, 10 June 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt even realise that black interior was such a rare commodity until I joined toymods and realised how much the guys here would kill to have it. i have had death threats, expect to get some too Patrick. Laughing Sillycar88 is one of those people Laughing
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Thu, 10 June 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol I had no idea myself.

It does look pretty nice. Anyone got a photo of their blue interiors? Razz I haven't seen them. I'm sure they're pretty good still. I also didn't realise the huge following the lil' ST162 has until I came accross this board! Some of the white ones look great. Is it true the "white lightning" edition was limited edition, as in how many approximately were made? Were there any performance differences?

So far it's been a really good value for money car compared to what I almost landed for the same price (I payed $4k) I'll see about that, love it so far anyway. Smile

-patrick
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Thu, 10 June 2004 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like a very straight ride, and the black interior is a thing of envy. I think that dash is different to mine as well (mine is/was an 1986 model) but I haven't actually looked at the inside of my car for so long that I've forgotten Smile
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Thu, 10 June 2004 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK heres a shot of my interior ages ago, so please ignore it because its a shit shot, oh also ignore the seat covers PLEASE I've only got them to protect the original seats Wink (Yeah I'm weird why wouldn't i just use the original seats anyway, because who am i protecting them from, MYSELF Laughing ) because the driver's seat has a rip in it ever since i bought it and have never been bothered to fix it. Now that I've actually seen the black interior I'll be sure to watch my back if i were you Patrick Laughing

NT: There was a pic of my interior here, but i removed it seeming it wasn't part of Pat's car, most have seen it now, so if you haven't, well all i can say is that everyone was too jealous to say anything.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 June 2004 12:13]

matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Patrick, welcome aboard! Looks like a really nice ST162 you've picked up there - one owner and REALLY low km, well done!!

I have a white '86 model myself, bought it from the original owner as well but mine had double the km yours has, lol. I like the black interior too, looks good. My interior's grey, which I really like too.

As for the White Lightning version, as I recall (I was in high school at the time) it was just a cosmetic thing with no mechanical mods at all. Just some stickers and all white paint job (and no doubt lots of options thrown in, eg sunroof, cruise etc.) It was in '89, when the ST162 was about to be replaced by the ST182 (5th gen), so it was one of those end-of-model special editions to keep interest alive before the new model hit. Not sure how many there were though.

Also, have you checked out the forums at celica.net? Lots of Melburnians there so you'll make plenty of new friends!

Cheers,
Matt
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
such as SR_TWINCAM lol Very Happy

yeah.. where has he gone anyway?

100 000ks dude that is like BRAND NEW! whoa.. you GOTTA be stoked dude that is awesome

I am at 220 000 now Very Happy but I have a nice new black interior too.... Evil or Very Mad
stereomike
Regular

February 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn, that's a beautiful interior! absolutely flawless! only thing i'd have any grief with would be that the gear stick cover looks a bit worn. but christ, all things considered, thats the sexiest interior i've seen!

i've got the blue interior, basically identical to sillycar88's.. i like it, but i'd definitely prefer black. wish i could find a black interior for a good price Sad
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it's the original gear knob, and it's coming off, it does 360's while I'm changing gears. I think I might screw it off and glue it back on properly cause I'd prefer to keep it original than put on an aftermarket one, unless I can find a nice leather one for a good price. SillyCar88, is your gearstick the same one as new? That one looks good if I can find one like that in black.

I might put the sheepskins back on the seats come to think of it. (you can see them in the overhead shot)

Another thing is my radio antenna is broken, which I heard is a common problem (in the states anyway, cold weather maybe?) Has anyone had this problem and found a cost effective way of fixing it? Just Toyota quoted around $600 for one, and Autobarn have these "universal" ones that don't quite "universally fit". Someone told me about S2000 rubber antennas but I'm not sure if they'd fit.
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is mad interior!!!!!! (i had to say it)
I'll have to use a full bottle of armorall to get close to that... hehe

Congrates on the car, come on a cruise a join all the st162's!!!!!
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah pat, it is the orginal knob i gave another one to SR_TWINCAM but that came from a 2nd gen celica, I'm not sure about the antenna, because i don't have one (never came with one Laughing ) but i just covered up the hole with a cap that fits perfect, as i dont listen to radio (it sucks) I'll probably bog it up when i get a respray.

Haha sheepskins now that is well and truely 80s, i bet even matt86sx has the first sheepskins that ever came out. Laughing Sorry Matt i had to.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea mate the 99% of ST162 arial's are broken . I think its because people like to listen to the radio while going thru a car wash. fortunately i fit into that 1% . I can feel more death threats coming on.
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I don't listen to the radio much anyway, but AM stations can be good in the morning for the news sometimes etc. Probably not worth fixing unless I can get an S2000 rubber one that fits...

Warrior do you have any pics here of your ST162? (the envy of all other owners Smile)

General question: are most of your ST162's fairly loud? I never noticed it at first but i was driving with the windows down the other day and it seemed really loud when accelerating. Nice sound in any case. I doubt it's the new muffler fitted it isn't much different to the old one (which had rust in it, the reason I changed it)

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are normally i little noisy. however if it starts to get excessively noisy then have your exhaust manifold checked...they are prone to cracking at the bend.

give us ur email ill send ya some pics i dont have them hosted anywhere.

lol Laughing "the envy of all other owners" Laughing

patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Fri, 11 June 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, problem:

This car seems a bit too noisy now. I haven't thought anything of it, until tonight. I'm driving through maccas drive through late at night, and the guy behind me yells out his window, "hey man your cars smokin'!" Pfft. Don't think so buddy - oh shit it is too! Like a freaking smoke machine out the back! My exhaust is leaking this white smoke (very visable at night) after being driven for about five minutes. If I turn on the engine and let it idle it's ok. I pop the hood and see if that's smoking too, but everything at first glance seems fine. No smoke or doesn't seem to be too hot or anything, the temp gauge says it's fine too. I have a feeling it could be exactly what you said warrior, the exhaust manifold. Would that make sense (the white smoke!) But then again my car just got serviced and they just replaced the muffler so wouldn't they have seen it needs some attention?

Grr! ...Any ideas?

Embarassed

ps:

found this on google, think it holds any relevance?

Quote:

White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (Where it is not meant to be).

Wouldn't it be great if the head gasket was gone allready... Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Fri, 11 June 2004 17:52]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sat, 12 June 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err - white smoke is generally not a good thing, it can be caused simply by condensation in the exhaust pipe if the air going into the engine is particularly cold (thus lowering the saturation point) and the air is also semi-humid - sometimes when the engine is cold itself it can cause this.

If however your car is visibly blowing smoke during the day or when these other conditions aren't met (ie engine fully warmed up, air not too humid etc) then chances are you are burning through coolant. Check the radiator levels frequently if you are stil unsure, or better yet, take it to a mechanic and get it tested for combustion gases in the radiator etc. If you haven't had the car checked over by a mechanic yet, then it's always a good idea to do so when you've purchased the car.

Having said that, I don't know of anyone here who has had a blown head gasket on their 3S-GE?
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sat, 12 June 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive blown a head gasket... due to a cracked top tank on the radiator.

btw.. if the white smoke has a blue tinge... then its issues.. oil rings.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sat, 12 June 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or valve stem seals, or back to the head gasket (both can leak oil into the combustion chamber).

The oil rings on the ST162 are (as usual in jap engines) reasonably soft because they'd rather wear rings down than wear cylinder bores down -> compared to a chunk of american iron, for example, where there must be at least a foot of clearance between cylinders. As such, rings tend to be the first sign of an *ageing* engine, which usually means 200,000+ kilometers, not 100,000 or so.
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sat, 12 June 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spot one fwdboy!
oil stem seals caused be motor to crack a few pistons... (i was driving hard knowing the condition of the motor)
patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sat, 12 June 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. Probably should have mentioned that it was at about 2 am and it was particularly chilly. Plus, upon starting it and taking it around the block today, it didn't blow anything suspicious.

FWDboy, I got a mechanic to check it pre-purchase, and got it serviced post purchase. It was in great nick coming out of the mechanic.

Hopefuly it was just condensation in the exhaust and it won't happen during the day, although I think I've seen it happen before.

In any case I think I'll get it checked if it happens again. Thanks for your help guys.

dar_sbb

I notice in your signature you state you've bored your engine to 2.2l. What does this involve? One of the first Celica's I test drove had the same thing done to it but I'm not sure how it's done. Not that I'm interested in doing it, just curious. Thanks.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 June 2004 03:52]

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sat, 12 June 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick
sounds like water in the engine No No No
which 9/10 times is a head gasket.
or your mechanic has put a little too much oil in it.
(doesnt hurt to check)
good luck mate.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sat, 12 June 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha, my car has just recently started its hissy fit with white smoke, its not too bad at the moment, but i know its pointing to HG, but i aint doing anything cos you all know why (sig.) but still i taking it easy its just the handbrake and tyres getting a workout for now. Anyway not good Pat, something you wanna avoid if you just bought a car, mine only had a slight issue with rust when i first got it.

By the way where in Melb are you?
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sun, 13 June 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had to get it bored after 3 pistons cracked, the bore was scratched so i went all out.

patrick
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sun, 13 June 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to the mechanic he checked the head gaskets before and they were fine. Well it's really bizare. Since, it hasn't smoked at at all. I took it out last night (not as cold out, but still cold) and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I mean, there was exhaust coming out (obviously Wink) but it seemed fine. It looked a bit white, but more like normal exhaust, less like steam.

Hopefuly condensation?

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sun, 13 June 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you should get a t-kay test (I think that is what they call it)...any engine tuner/mechanic should be able to perform it.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Sun, 13 June 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It might be an idea to get someone else to drive the car and you follow closely behind because you'll really be able to see what is coming out of the exhaust when the engine is under full load (ie throttle wide open in second/third)...or you could drive the car and get someone who has a fair idea of what screwed HG exhaust fumes look like to follow you.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Tue, 15 June 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SillyCar88 wrote on Fri, 11 June 2004 15:50

Yeah pat, it is the orginal knob i gave another one to SR_TWINCAM but that came from a 2nd gen celica, I'm not sure about the antenna, because i don't have one (never came with one Laughing ) but i just covered up the hole with a cap that fits perfect, as i dont listen to radio (it sucks) I'll probably bog it up when i get a respray.

Haha sheepskins now that is well and truely 80s, i bet even matt86sx has the first sheepskins that ever came out. Laughing Sorry Matt i had to.

Haha, funny you should say that.......

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p50ea4f277509427f1823422c7df5c725/f844cdc1.jpg

These were in my car when I bought it (honest!), I bought it off the original lady owner which might explain why they are there. I actually don't mind them, so I've never bothered to take them off. Plus I've had a look under them at the seats themselves and they are a bit stained and stuff.....I guess they put the covers there to cover them up.

So yeh don't knock the sheepskin seatcovers! Laughing

-Matt
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Tue, 15 June 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warrior wrote on Sat, 12 June 2004 17:03

Patrick
sounds like water in the engine No No No
which 9/10 times is a head gasket.
or your mechanic has put a little too much oil in it.

I'd agree...had the same problem a few years ago in my rolla. Check so that there's no oil being mixed up with water, cause that can cause a few probs as well Razz

Good luck with it.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Tue, 15 June 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt86sx wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 11:51

Haha, funny you should say that.......

These were in my car when I bought it (honest!), I bought it off the original lady owner which might explain why they are there. I actually don't mind them, so I've never bothered to take them off. Plus I've had a look under them at the seats themselves and they are a bit stained and stuff.....I guess they put the covers there to cover them up.

So yeh don't knock the sheepskin seatcovers! Laughing

-Matt

Nah I won't, they probably look better than my rice coverups (oh yeah the pic. didnt work doesnt matter I have a fair idea), anyway the 80's rock because i was born and the st162 was also born, put the 2 together and you get a Perfect Match Heart
Also come to think of it wasn't that also born in the 80s
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ||Celica ST162 SX 89|| Tue, 15 June 2004 23:25 Go to previous message
Mad Grrrr.......stupid picture......worked OK when I previewed it! Well never mind, I'm sure you've seen sheepskin covers before, haha.

-Matt
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:CELICA GT4 PROFILE AND PICS (Lookalike)
Next Topic:PROJECT BUMPBAR
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 11:16:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068948268890381 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.