Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
aw11 airfilter question Tue, 15 June 2004 09:25 Go to next message
alrite to aw11 owners out there

previously airfilter was in the boot resting inside half the airbox with the factory induction piping still runing out to the side vent. i found the piping was too long to be effective and boot goes heaps hot due to massive muffler underneath it, plus on dyno run gave me 4rwkw when opened the boot

so i've moved my airfilter into the engine bay next to the battery towards the firewall, actually sitting up right next to it. i have notice nothing difference since moving it there and have feeling i've lost performance coz last night i had trouble pulling away from a n15 sss.

y is this, has neone else notice improvement with airfilter relocation? and i've lost that really cool race car sound into my cabin aswell.

do u think my filter is bit too high and still suckin in hot air, that i should get a right angle piping and throw the filter further down towards the ground?
  Send a private message to this user    
serge
Regular

June 2002
Re: aw11 airfilter question Tue, 15 June 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate i'd just stick to the factory airbox.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 June 2004 09:47]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: aw11 airfilter question Tue, 15 June 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

previously airfilter was in the boot resting inside half the airbox with the factory induction piping still runing out to the side vent. i found the piping was too long to be effective and boot goes heaps hot due to massive muffler underneath it, plus on dyno run gave me 4rwkw when opened the boot

Long piping isn't going to make a big difference to overall power, moving the piping closer to the ground is going to move it closer to the source of the heat (muffler).

Stick with the factory filter location, you can modify the piping to be larger if you feel the need to...but reduce underbonnet temperatures - for example, ceramic coating the exhaust manifold or tungsten coating internals (such as exhaust valves).
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 airfilter question Tue, 15 June 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moving the air filter into the engine bay if far better than the stock location in the boot.
i relocated my battery into the boot where the air filter was and put the filter where the battery was. you will get much more air up through the engine bay than the boot location will ever see.
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/airfiltermod1_1.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/airfiltermod2_1.jpg

it would be better to have cut out the battery tray though.

i have it basically in the same position now with my 4agte, but facing back towards the rear as i have relocated the AFM.

Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: aw11 airfilter question Tue, 15 June 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i unlike lazy feral cut out the battery tray, so think of ferals but extend it further down and into the nice big arse hole that lets heaps of cold air upinto the engine bay.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: aw11 airfilter question Tue, 15 June 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy, u'll understand how badly the intake in the aw11s are if u seen it b4

yeah mines bit like feral, except i still have the battery there and pod is right up again firewall

im gonna try take the pod off, put a bending pipe and hang the pod off it vertical down onto the ground. i feel no difference maybe even less power the way it is. after the afm i used a soft rubbery hose off an EA-ED falcon. i hope it isnt too soft that it collapse as air is drawn in and effect it in ne way. but it shouldnt be a problem as hose was part off the falcons intake aswell

wish i had a dyno at home so i can see the result for myself.

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: aw11 airfilter question Tue, 15 June 2004 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you guys really think that putting the filter in the boot would make that much differance, I was damn impressed with teh size and path of the intake piping in the AW11. I was thinking this but wouldn't it be bad in the engine bay since, the main saving grace is the vent fan and the bit of air that flows up from underneath the car. I would have thought that having the path so long would create a sort of ram air effect (very slight) but is it becasue of all the corners?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 airfilter question Tue, 15 June 2004 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the side engine bay vent fan does bugger all for flow into the engine bay while the car is in motion. it's main purpose is for the fan to turn on when the sensor thats in the engine bay triggers it in situations like idleing at light etc. when there isnt any air flow up through the engine bay from underneathe.
the air flow up from the bottom through the engine bay is way more than you might think.

have a look into the side vent of a AW11, see where the hole for that restricted pipe work that runs through the boot to the filter is. it is up the top of the rubber surround that shrouds the hole cut for the side vent. so somehow the air that does pass through the side vent when in motion has to direct itself from the flow it would like to take (straight into the engine bay) upwards into the hole and then down the pipeing.
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: aw11 airfilter question Wed, 16 June 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 2c is the oem air piping that runs from the intake vent on the drivers side along the back of the boot brings in the coolest available air when the car is in motion. Toyota wouldnt have ran all that piping right around from the drivers side for no reason. If you want a pod type set up it is best to have it through in the boot positioned in front of the leftover oem piece where the main bit of the factory airbox used to be. that means there is still cold air being pushed into the boot when you are in motion. I just run K&N drop-in filter in the factory airbox tho'. Other idea is some kind of boot scoop to bring more outside air into the boot. Like some guys with boot mount IC's on their SW20's run a WRX scoop on their boot. Dunno really how much air flow you get down acroos that rear deck tho' when in motion? An' yeah it'd look a bit strange.
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: aw11 airfilter question Wed, 16 June 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um let me think?? Should I put my air intake in a box with no air flow. Or with a pod in an engine bay designed for arflow UMMMM LET ME THINK?? Laughing
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 airfilter question Wed, 16 June 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that why one of the first modifications AW11 owners through-out the world put their pod filter set-up in the engine bay wether it be a 4age or a 4agze?

yes toyota put the pipeing there for some reason, but not to force cold air into the air filter. maybe feed it a little as the engine sucks it in, but not force it.
have a good look at the air track from the side vent and tell me how air will be forced in there.

the natural aerodynamics of the AW11 has big air flow up through the engine bay. so why not use it?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: aw11 airfilter question Wed, 16 June 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it all makes sense to me, I did understand it before but I didn't realise what the front of the pipe looked like in the vent, I might see if I can mod that to be a bigger opening that sticks out further, to kind of catch the air.

pulcino that was not called for. No No No
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: aw11 airfilter question Wed, 16 June 2004 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the natural aerodynamics of the AW11 has big air flow up through the engine bay. so why not use it?
I'll have to have a look at that sometime but if it really is the case then I could see why the engine bay would be a good spot for a pod - have you chucked the two different set-ups on a dyno, what are the differences?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 airfilter question Thu, 17 June 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

have you chucked the two different set-ups on a dyno, what are the differences?

no i havnt had each set-up on a dyno.
i am going on what i have learnt after playing with my car since owning it from 1995 and researching the car and what other owners around the world have discovered and done.

i am sure someone out there has probably tried it on a dyno.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 June 2004 03:07]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: aw11 airfilter question Thu, 17 June 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only reason I'm so interested is because the family is contemplating rallying a AW11 MR2 in the F16 category in the ARC (if the category sticks around much longer). As you may know, rally car prep needs to be pretty thorough.

I guess I'll look it up sometime when we are further down the track.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: aw11 airfilter question Thu, 17 June 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is certainly a lot more air flow in the engine bay than there sis in the boot.

I have driven with the engine cover not clicked in to the latch and at speed the whole cover lifts up, now if you're getting that much pressure on the underside of that panel then I reckon there's enough decent air there for the intake.

You probably want to check on legalities for rallying the AW11 I know there used to be a lot of issues with the cabin space being too small to qualify. It'd also suck trying to find a way to carry two spare tyres in an AW11.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: aw11 airfilter question Thu, 17 June 2004 07:12 Go to previous message
Rallying AW11 is okay - looked it up awhile ago, alot of people have done it in state level competitions.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AW11 guys - check this
Next Topic:3T-GTE rebuild
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:08:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060529708862305 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.