Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Mon, 14 June 2004 08:39 Go to next message
ok i jsut cut the rust outa my wheel arch but ran outa time to do to much else but its pretty barron atm, jsut wondering ppls advise, ive been advised that fibreglass is an easy option, i dont want to use bog, i dont have acesss to a welder atm so its more of a temporary fix to prevent the rust from further spreading until i get the time to do it all prperly, i jsut removed about 2kg of bog (ok maybe not that much but look at the pics 50% of the whole was bog) so i dont really wana fill it all up again, i primered it up to stop it from gettin ne rust on it for the time being jsut wanted ppls advise

thanks

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=5017
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=5018
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=5019
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=5020
  Send a private message to this user    
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Tue, 15 June 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 2 bottom photo's are they before you stripped all the bog out of it? How long is a temporary fix? If it was me and it was temporary i'd clean the metal and remove all the rust, etch prime it and wait for it..... Stick race tape over the whole thing untill you fix it properlly. Thats just my thought.
sandman
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Tue, 15 June 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I would go hire a welder for half a day, get some sheet metal formed before this, and do it once...
Metal is dirt cheap (Especially for that much!) a sandbag and a hammer will shape it if your patient. a few zaps with the welder a quick smear of putty, a lick of paint..and you should get another 10 years outta the car before you have trouble in that spot again!
<$100 if ya careful!
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Tue, 15 June 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the top 2 are after i got all the bog out, the bottom 2 are the rusted sections of the pannel i cut out and sprayed with primer. i have sealed up the hole with some good tape so nothing can get inside it.

im going to buy a welder sometime, maybe in about 2 months or so, but im not going to hire one, i havent welded for a while so im not sure how good im going to be. wat would be the best type of welder, will a tig welder be good enough the weld up new brackets for seat rails ect? as well as pannels??

cheers

dom

oh yea i know i gotta get some rust disolver into the pannel i jsut ran outa light so yea
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Tue, 15 June 2004 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got get yourself some por15 and treat it properly.

tig would work but might buckle the panel - although anything you weld with will buckle the panel to some degree - tig or mig would be ideal for something like this. i've seen work done with a stick welder also but, unless you are VERY experienced with stick i wouldn't recommend it.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Tue, 15 June 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want a temp fix, then who cares what you do as long as it is half good. just grind out as much as you can and re bog it... cheap easy and fast and should last at least 6months before reappearing

but for a proper job look for another car at a wrecker and get that section cut out (obviously bigger than needed) and then come home, cut out your section (smaller than what you bought), measure everything up and try and get an exact fit(would need section purchased to end up about 1mm smaller all round) and brass weld the section, if you know how to brass weld then you prob wouldnt even need bog otherwise a skim is all that would be required to clean it up... that way the rust should never come back

thats what i would do if keeping the car, ie, restoration or going to restore
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Wed, 16 June 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck bog off i jsut removed about the whole gaurds full of the shit, why would i wana fill it all back up again, doesnt make sense.

as a tempory fix i had the idea, my mate has a ke30, using his car as a mould make a fibreglass wheel arch then jsut fibreglass it onto mine after ive rust treated it ect, or i could go crazy and make some fat ass custom gaurds haha
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Wed, 16 June 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also i gotta find out wat kind of welder i was using at school too eh, is a stick welder one that feeds the wire thru as u weld? fuck i got no idea, well wat ever it is i was good with that one and i didnt even use it for that long
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Wed, 16 June 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MIG feeds the wire through as you weld
TIG - i dunno anything about em..

Stick welder is an arc welder, u put a stick in a clampy thing and then weld hehe

TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
Re: advise on rust removal wat to do? repair.. (see pics) Thu, 17 June 2004 01:14 Go to previous message
You may find gards at the car yards will also contain rust (common spot in the old toys)

Tig is more expencive, yet good for tricky small work. It is alot slower and therfore will put more heat into the pannel - bad

if you take your time its ok. Also the tips on tigs wear and get contaminated if you touch the work etc

Mig is easyer to weld, cheaper, quicker and Fav. for pannels and exhaust, will weld pannels through to thick steel.

Arc/stick will weld heavy steal, is easy, and cheapest

(if it was for car work, get a mig, and try before you buy to make sure your happy, use gassless on pannels for cleaner weld, and do some welding on old pannels before you hack the car up Wink )
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Driveshaft worries
Next Topic:ke20; auto tunnel bigger than manual?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 09:17:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044488906860352 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.