Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Mon, 14 June 2004 06:23 Go to next message
Hi , im looking at doing a 1JZ twin turbo swap into my MX73, I just wanted to hear from people that have done this swap before so I can get an idea how to go about it. ANY help would be great, i have already got the front sump 1JZGTE from a JZA70 Supra (I thought only CHasers had front sump 1JZ's). And a intercooler, K&N air intake, and eletric fan.

Just having some problems:

1. Uni joints and tail shaft on my cressida were stuffed, had a few people say that a shortened Hilux tail shaft could work.
2. speedo from the 1JZ to the MX73 is different
3. getting hold of a 2JZ water pump
  Send a private message to this user    
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Mon, 14 June 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy my MX83 look at it in the for sale section
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Mon, 14 June 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry you lost me, buy what exactly?
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Mon, 14 June 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy my cressi its ready to go and by the looks of things it'll bee going at a desent price...
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Mon, 14 June 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mx83toy wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 19:52

buy my cressi its ready to go and by the looks of things it'll bee going at a desent price...

hahaha, i have only just forked out $3000 to get my 1JZ swap started, I dont think i have the money to buy a complete new car lol. Razz
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Mon, 14 June 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats cool good luck man you'll find lots of help here these guyz helped me SO MUCH!!!!!! Thanx everyone
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Mon, 14 June 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm yeh i know wat u mean Sad Iv found out nothing Razz

C'mon there has to be a few people out there that have done this conversion, or know of anyone that has done it.

I really need help on this
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Mon, 14 June 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well since a 1JZ is similar to a 2JZ, and an MX73 is similar to an MA61 (especially in the engine bay), you might want to check out my engine conversion:

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Mon, 14 June 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day mate, I put a 1J in my brothers cressida at the beginning of the year, we used a JZX-83 1J and auto box, & as far as engine conversions go it wasn't really hard.

1. Tailshaft. At first we used the standard cressida shaft, with the new yoke weled onto the front of it, and that worked pretty good for a while. But the rear shaft has a rubber dampener built into it, & eventually the shaft starts twisting, & as it does this it also gets shorter, pulling the centre bearing out of its bracket & the yoke out of the back of the box. We were getting a weird clunking on deceleration, & ended up getting a new solid shaft made up for it.
I have no ideas about adapting different shafts, sorry about that.

2. Speedo. We had the ever faithful Mos do all our wiring, & he simply pulled out the electronic speedo drive from the gearbox & screwed in the original speedo drive from the old gearbox, then wired the computer up to use the electronic speedo sender in the dash. Dunno how yours is different?

3. Water pump. Not sure about using a 2j pump, as far as I know there's a 1J pump without the hydraulic fan pump available from Toyota for $200. And make sure you change it before the engine's in the car. Smile
We're still running the original pump with the hydraulic lines looped to a power steering reservoir.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Thu, 17 June 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers norbie! yeh it looks similar to what im doing, but i have a few things that have made it a bit more tricky. Like finding a suitable tailshaft and getting the speedo wiring sorted out.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Thu, 17 June 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your best bet with the tailshaft is to get a custom one made up, or get your original one modified (this isn't expensive). As for speedo wiring, they use a mechanical cable so there's no wiring to worry about!
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZGTE into MX73 Cressida Fri, 18 June 2004 08:20 Go to previous message
Yeh im thinking of modifying the Hilux one i have found. Found it in a wrecking yard, in great condition, just have to find suitable uni-joints now Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:jap spec T50 for 20V
Next Topic:engine cut out
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 12:17:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051670074462891 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.