Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon9.gif  Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen Thu, 17 June 2004 23:56 Go to next message
Yep - I have finally achieved a higher level of existence - "piston broke" Very Happy

Seriously, I had a SA63 15/16th MC re-built and bored out to 1 inch in the eastern States (thru a mate) ages ago and finally got around to fitting it to my RA23.

I went to bleed the brakes last night and the rod/pin in the booster has pushed the piston in but it will not return to its static position.

What the hell have I done and how do I fix it ?

Thanks everyone.
Cheers,
Mitch.
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen Fri, 18 June 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps try 'forcing' it back with some compressed air. I would then disassemble it to ensure no damage has been done to the seals. Make note of exactly how all the seals and bits fit together as you disassemble it. Reassemble with rubber grease or brake fluid if you plan on using it immediately.

I could only imagine the seals have bound to the bore - maybe the rubber grease got 'crusty' after sitting for a long period but that doesn't make any sense at all. I have had MCs sitting on the shelf for years with no issues at all. I recently used a 10 year old Crown one.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen Fri, 18 June 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks GT, this gives me a plan of attack and good tips on how to reassemble it.
I have re-used old MC's in the past with no problem at all, but in this case I thought "this time I will spend the money, get a 'new' one built up, and be 100% confident" , but - you know the story from there.....
Cheers,
Mitch.
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen Fri, 18 June 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've pull down an RA23 and an MA61 MC in the last 2 weeks, both had a crusty substance around the seals that had jammed the piston in. Not sure if it's a reaction between the grease and brake fluid or a result of sitting un-unsed. It's about the consistency of sand but breaks up into a powder when crushed (if it were dry that is). So it doesn't score the MC or anything. But I'm sur4e it wouldn't be good for the seals. Does anyone know what this stuff is or where it comes from???
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen Fri, 18 June 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know the answer but I'm going to tear mine down and found out the problem. Thanks mate,
Mitch.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen Fri, 18 June 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could it be moisture that causes this crap?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen Fri, 18 June 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes it can.

But in my case this thing was rebuilt without any rubber grease inside so when I first pushed the piston in, that was where it stayed.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers,
Mitch.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen Fri, 18 June 2004 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was exactly what I did when I attempted my first rebuild years ago. Thankfully it was a slave cylinder and the reseal kit cost a measly $5.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Help Needed - Master Cylinder Frozen Sat, 19 June 2004 11:54 Go to previous message
You got it in one GT ! Surprised
Thanks everyone.
Bled the brakes this arvo and while the pedal is low (still air in there somewhere) I do have enough brakes to trundle up and down my street......
An open exhaust on a 1G-GZE sure does get the neighbours out of their armchairs and running out their front doors Shocked Shocked Shocked
Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Unlocking Steering Column on RA28
Next Topic:3t piston rings on 3t-gte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 13:47:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004317045211792 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.