Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MFX_AE86
Regular

May 2004
Only running 5psi on GZE Mon, 14 June 2004 05:09 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Well after a long haul getting the GZE going in my sprinter in the 1st place with the relay for the charger being fucked & the alternator dying in the ass + a few xtra bit that didnt go my way, now my GZE isnt running past 5psi

I have checked for vac leaks but since im cluless when it comes to chargers I hoped that maybe you guys could suggest WTF is going on

thanks
Dave
  Send a private message to this user    
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Mon, 14 June 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I take it you are a running a boost gauge, where about have you connected it to? Stock GZE should be about 8psi boost, which I reckon is measured at the SC. In discussing this with a mate who has GZE, he reckons that the boost into the throttle body and manifold is alot less, once the air has gone through the intercooler? He thinks a stock intercooler robs you of a few psi. I'm not too sure about this, but that his theory. I can't see how boost could be lost provided that everything in the system is air tight? I aint too sure.
MFX_AE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Mon, 14 June 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gauge is on the smal vac pipe on the throttle body... the GZE just seems pretty gutless so i have 2 loosing boost some where.

thanks
dave
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Mon, 14 June 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4ageeza wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 14:56

In discussing this with a mate who has GZE, he reckons that the boost into the throttle body and manifold is alot less, once the air has gone through the intercooler? He thinks a stock intercooler robs you of a few psi. I'm not too sure about this, but that his theory. I can't see how boost could be lost provided that everything in the system is air tight? I aint too sure.

If it wasn't air-tight you would be able to hear it bloody well and you would be losing lots of boost for sure.
A stock intercooler may add lag to the boost, but the air isn't going to go anywhere and you certainly shouldn't lose 30% of your boost because of it.

Putting a boost guage on a vacuum pipe is some kind of oxy-moron isn't it?
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Mon, 14 June 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...what sort of GZE is it? AFM by any chance?
MFX_AE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Tue, 15 June 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it is the AFM type of GZE....

Dave

[Updated on: Tue, 15 June 2004 01:16]

Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Thu, 17 June 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an 86 model aw11 mr2 with afm motor. when i got it it only would make 5psi, ONCE it made 6. i swapped the charger to an ae92 one and it makes 9-10 now... i think it was a thing on the old version gze's to have a larger pulley on the sc12. the ae92 pulley will just bolt on , without needing a new belt or anything. if you were losing boost your engine would go nuts (ive had a boost leak before) and it wont work properly, it would bog down and not run very well at all , if anything.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Thu, 17 June 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the sc12 that came on the aw11 should still provide 8psi from factory.
best place to tee the boost guage is into the vacum line that runs from the inlet manifold to the brown fuel vsv soleniod, it see's boost and vacum after the TB and i/c.

you could be losing boost through a stuffed ABV. see if you can plug the pipe from the s/c outlet pipe to the ABV and see if that makes a difference in your boost level.
otherwise you can remove it all together and make a aluminium plate to bolt where it was and block the outlet pipe from the s/c.
MFX_AE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Thu, 17 June 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i have the boost gauge hooked up there (at that brown solenoid)at the moment & it reads 5psi....

so you rekon that i should block the pipe coming of the S/C outlet that goes to the standard Bov (im assuming, like i said i know crap all about s/c's)?

thanks
dave
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Thu, 17 June 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if the ABV (air bypass valve) is leaking, it will recirculate some of your boost around and around through the s/c instead of pushing it into the engine.
i am saying block it off (the pipe from the s/c oulet pipe to the ABV) to see if it is in-fact the ABV that is causeing the problem. it might not be, but you gotta try all avenues. Smile

how long since the i/c was cleaned? (if it's the factory gze one?) it might have a build-up of oil sludge in it, a good flush out with general purpose thinners probably wouldnt hurt.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Thu, 17 June 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep the solutions comming feral, im pretty sure my GZE isnt pushing much boost either, ill be getting a boost guage soon to confirm

So ill be exploring these avenues soon as well Smile

MFX_AE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Thu, 17 June 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i will definatley be trying those 2 things tommorow...

thanks for that feral I will post my findings

dave
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Fri, 18 June 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Listen to feral. As instructed I blocked my AFM off and shes been hammering ever since then.

A good pod filter with fat piping also helps. I gained 1-2PSI

Also flush the intercooler out. Heaps of shit came out of mine and I gained a 1 PSI.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Sat, 19 June 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i really hope that was your ABV you blocked off dude... Very Happy
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Sat, 19 June 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fantastic info here! My afm gze with 175mm nevo pully and front mounted stock IC is getting around 11psi, so I'll have to try some of these things. I've heard 12psi is about right for an afm gze with a big nevo kit.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Sat, 19 June 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik wrote on Sat, 19 June 2004 10:27

Fantastic info here! My afm gze with 175mm nevo pully and front mounted stock IC is getting around 11psi, so I'll have to try some of these things. I've heard 12psi is about right for an afm gze with a big nevo kit.

What was it running before you put the pulley on?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Sat, 19 June 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edit: Double Post

[Updated on: Sat, 19 June 2004 08:56]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Sat, 19 June 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunatly I dont know, as I bought the car with the big pully on it.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Sat, 19 June 2004 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe yeah I meant ABV.

Yeah I got a AFM GZE with Nevo 175mm in my AW11. I see 12 on cold nights in second/third gear. I havent been on freeway yet.
MFX_AE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Mon, 02 August 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O.k... I did as was written above & now its stalling.... grr

So im gonna set the pipe back to the ABV. Just to make sure im doing the right thing can someone post a pick of the ABV in the engine bay.

Thanks
Dave
MFX_AE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Only running 5psi on GZE Fri, 06 August 2004 06:42 Go to previous message
Any other ideas on what it could be ?

Dave
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RWD 4A-GE 100kW Intake manifold - how to guide