Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
speedjunky
Newcomer

May 2002
Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 15 May 2002 10:19 Go to next message
Im just checking up on some small things before I begin my project.

My understanding is that torque and revs kill gearboxes so I was wondering what a W58 supra box could handle? Its being mated to a 3SGTE which will most likey be fairly stock to begin with other than ECU of course.

But the aim is to have around 200rwkw or more in future which I guess would be anywhere from 300-400Nm of torque? Rev limit will be somewhere around 7000-7500rpm. With the car being about 650-680kg, what chance do I have of the gearbox staying in one peice?

Should I be looking at stronger solutions to begin with ?
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 15 May 2002 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A quote from the Supra forums:

"The W58 is pretty tough, I made 480rwhp through it for a couple years, with a best 60' time of 1.72."

This guy has a turbocharged 2JZ-GE in his JZA80. hehehe

The W58 is a very tough box indeed and should be OK for what you want to do, but if you want something stronger you'll be looking at an R154 ('Supra turbo' box), or something aftermarket and horrifically expensive.

Make sure you do in fact get a W58 and not a lesser W55-7 box as these came out on shitty 4 cylinders or relatively torque deficient 1GGE's (sorry Rob!).

Cheers Dave.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 15 May 2002 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

*rob runs out to his car with a magnet again*

but my sandwitch plate is... nevermind... Grin Laughing Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 15 May 2002 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mind you, the W58 is strong in all versions, but the one from the Mk4 Supra is the strongest of the lot.
kevz0r
Regular

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 15 May 2002 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the older W58's (ie. the one before the MKIV), the problem is going to be the input shaft
However in saying that, it should still be good up to about 5-600HP. so i'd say you should be fine Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:02]

willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 15 May 2002 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should know this already but what box would be in my RA23? is it a W50? And how much hp would this hold? would it handle 250hp (engine) ok? I know that ain't much but it's all i'm after for my street car.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:25]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 15 May 2002 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too true, there was an upgrade with a bigger input shaft (and bearings I think) in 93.5, but the original is still a very sturdy box.

How's that 5MGTE going Kev?
Darren
Regular

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 15 May 2002 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good box, just don't shift too hard.

I broke 2 through flat changing. Seized 2nd gear onto the main shaft in both cases.

Darren.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 16 May 2002 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Tomato Twisted Evil (Just kidding I just really wanted to use that guy !)

I thought the strength of W55, W57 and W58 were all comparible. Everything I have read suggests they are equal in handling the punishment and it is just the ratios that vary between them.

Am I misinformed ?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 16 May 2002 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod, what I have heard is that the W58 is slightly sturdier than the W55-7. This is via wreckers and a gearbox reconditioner I have spoken to, so really it's qualified hearsay and speculation and may need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Given that importers will try to pass all 3 of them off as one and the same (ie same price), might as well get the W58.
That said, even Toyota has persisted with the W58 behind the 2JZGE's (albeit in slightly upgraded form), rather than using the W55-7. You could surmise from that that Toyota believe it is the stronger box.

Oh and you want funny icons: here are some -http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/ruinkai/flipa.gif
http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/geno/asshole.gif
http://216.40.201.38/otn/funny/smileysex5.gif
http://www.unique-hardware.co.uk/server-smilies/contrib/tweetz/moon.gifhttp://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/edoom/throwup.gif
http://216.40.201.38/contrib/tweetz/bootyshake.gif
http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/puke/repuke.gif

[Updated on: Sun, 08 February 2004 01:09] by Moderator

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon7.gif  Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 16 May 2002 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Tomato,

I recon the gearbox guys would have a better idea than most so I'll make a mental note.....W58......Better..... Nod

BTW Love that first icon ! There is something about the bird that means you just don't grow out of thinging its cool !

Then again maybe thats because I haven't grown up yet ! hehehe

speedjunky
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 16 May 2002 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks greatly guys.

Is there any identifying marks to look for on the W58 box to know that its from the later model Mk4 ?

And will this change anything to do with mating to the 3SGTE via a modified 1S bellhousing ?

Cheers
Edgy
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 16 May 2002 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.redta22.freewebsitehosting.com/gearboxes_s.jpg

Hey can anyone tell me what type of gearbox is the middle one in this pic, i know it's a supra box, and was wondering whether it's a W58?????

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2002 06:46]

Edgy
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 16 May 2002 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:10]

HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sat, 18 May 2002 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA23 celicas have the W50 box.

It seems RA65s have W58s as well, i remember seeing it on the plate of my RA65 coupe.

cheers
Qorky
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sat, 18 May 2002 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do w58's bolt straight into a ra23 ?
or 57 or 55's ?

[Updated on: Sat, 18 May 2002 10:40]

celica_freak
Regular

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 02 June 2002 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a web site out there that has actual fact sheets from toyota that state the 58 as the better box i found this page by typing w 58 boxes in the broser.
it also gave the factory kw capabillity

[Updated on: Sun, 02 June 2002 16:18]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Mon, 03 June 2002 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know if you'd be able to tell the difference between the two boxes from just that picture. Externally, they almost look identical.

That site you are referring to has the maximum power that the boxes came out with from factory. Both of the boxes have proven they can handle a lot more than stock.

Mind you, I think I'd give it a better chance of living behind a 300kW 3SGTE than a 300kW 1JZGTE or something. Torque is the killing factor here...
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Mon, 03 June 2002 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would have thought Toyota used the W58 in later engines because of the ratios, not the power-handling. W55 has a lower top speed and shorter ratios and might just be silly in a monster engine.
FWIW My RA65 came with (if anyone cares; highly unlikely)

Trans:
aluminum-cased W55
weight: 35kg
reverse 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
-4.091 3.566 2.056 1.384 1.000 0.850

Diff:
F372
7.5" ring gear diam
3.583 ratio
2 pinion gears

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Mon, 03 June 2002 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, take a look at the gearing and weight for the W57 vs. the W58. They weigh the same, and have every gear the same bar 5th where on the W58 its further overdriven.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for putting this back up Ed Smile

When people say that the W58 is stronger (lets exclude the 2JZ model one), other than the steel sandwich plate, can anyone tell me exactly the differences, not just that they've *heard* it's stronger?

What are the common failures in the boxes, and wouldn't these most likely be the same for all of them, I haven't heard of anyone breaking a W58 in a different way to a W57?

Sorry, this is my just woken up ramblings, but it got me curious, there is so little the different from what I can tell, and I can't see how just having a steel sandwich plate (which you could just swap could you not?) can make a box stronger.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll just bump this for the weekday people tomorrow Very Happy
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
franky...

imho id say the the upgraded steel sandwich plate makes a significant difference to box strength. the sandwich plate contains the gear shaft mounts and bearings, and is one of the only things holding the shafts 'together', stopping them from separating from each other under high load (which is exactly what the shaft gears try to do to each other)... thus having this plate made of steel, as opposed to alloy, allows MUCH greater sepration loads to be applied to the shaft before their mountings in the sandwich plate yield...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...so....if you replaced the alloy sandwich plate on the W57 with a steel one, you'd effectibely have something just as strong?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep

this is assuming that the shaft sizes and bearings are otherwise idendical...

then again, if you had a steel sandwhich plate, it obviously came out of a w58 (or w59) - so why wouldnt you be using that?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm talking theoretically here Razz Since when is it only you gets to ponder useless stuff because you can? Razz

I'm just wondering about all this stuff for when I try to flog off my W57 to some bogan for his V8 Smile

Oh, and don't forget to send that stuff tomorrow (I know it's off topic, but you're not on ICQ)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 09 February 2004 01:10

I'm talking theoretically here Razz Since when is it only you gets to ponder useless stuff because you can? Razz

Oh, and don't forget to send that stuff tomorrow (I know it's off topic, but you're not on ICQ)

since when do i ponder useless stuf...
like the 1mzfe, or the 3mzfe, or the 3sgte or the m70 blah blah blah... Laughing

and yeah, thanks for the reminder - i had forgotten.

ON TOPIC - yes you could use any of the above points to win over the bogan v8 buyer..

I might aso bring up at this point my personal doubt on the much publicised 'fact' that "ALL w58's had steel sandwich plates". more than 3 people i know know - myself included - when pulling apart a ma61 with w58 comp plates, have discovered ALLOY sandwich plates. now i know the box I pulled out was original (have logs from past owners (2 of), and the ratios correspond to w58 (not w57)... so im a little confused to say the least...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've also heard people say the same thing and as you said, why would you retrofit an alloy one!? Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theoretically? (for conclusion, scroll down)

imho, most ppl will dump the clutch once or twice, if not more often. the shock loading at the base of the teeth while doing this is what kill sprobably 95+% of boxes. it takes only a SINGLE over-load event to initiate a crack at the base of the tooth, usually starting from machining marks.

the hardest thing is to get the crack started. once it has started, all it takes is either a few more overloads, or just lots of high load cycles from spirited driving (ie not clutch dumps or flat changes), and the teeth will break off.

bearings are immensely strong! check out the load ratings of the bearings of the size used in gearboxes. i would be guessing they can take a tonne or two of force, which is more than will be generated by the gears pushing each other away.

while it's tru that steel will have a higher tensile strength than alloy, the difference may not be that huge relative to the magnitude of loads we are talking about here.
i'd venture a guss that the alloy has a tensile strength of around 100-300MPa, and the steel maybe 300-500MPa. to cause the shafts to move further away from each other by elastically deforming the snadwich plate i think is unlikely (but possible?)

i do think you would have more luck bending the shafts tho. again, this is more likely to cause a tooth overload situation due to 'not nice' loading angles on the teeth when the shaft bends...

anyway, i'd love to see some pictures of broken gearboxes (WIFTT Wink ).
for reference, here's a tooth of one of my K boxes. the tooth has cracked almost halfway thru by fatigue before finally breaking!! all due to flatchanging Wink
http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/pics/gtooth.jpg

so, the moral of the story is:
if you treat the gearbox bad, even once, you can drastically shorten it's life, even in low power situations.
if you are nice to it, it will last a lot longer.
if you really want to make it last, get a set of dogbox gears made Wink

Cya, Stewart
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stew... i wasnt thinking so much of the purely lateral load of the shaft on the bearing and sandwich plate, rather i was thnking of the where the shaft enters the plate as the fulcrum of rotation, resulting from force applied at a distance (ie at a gear along the shaft) resulting in a torque around said fulcrum.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh k.
in that case i'd think that the bearings have enough play in them to acommodate a few degrees of shaft bending before affecting the plate itself. the alloy plate will deflect before the steel one, no doubt, but depends if you can induce a situation which results in bending loads on the plate, before anything else breaks?

hmm, i confess i have not seen the internals of the W box, but if it is anything like the K box, with the input and mainshaft on the same axis, and the mainshaft only supported at one end, and bearing between main and input shaft... it would be possible to fuxor things up nicely.
if it's like the T series, where the mainshaft is supported directly with bearings in two places... less likely?

i guess what i'm thnking is that the bearings will have more free play in them than the amount of shaft, sandwich plate, or case deflection you could possibly induce?
we need some real life failures of W boxes from high power apps, and not just second gear Wink we know how that happens Razz (well the teeth at least)
Cya, Stewart
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you think about it from the other aspect, the box is also attached to the alloy case is it not? Couldn't the differences in flexing between that and the steel plate cause hypothetical problems of their own? Okay, this is nit-picking, but you get what I mean.

As oldcorollas said though, we really need to see what happened broken W5X boxes to see how they really broke.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 09 February 2004 01:55

As oldcorollas said though, we really need to see what happened broken W5X boxes to see how they really broke.

precisely - this is all pissing in the wind without some kind of evidence for or against any of these ideas.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so start collecting and in about 4 or 5 weeks when i finish my PhD, send me some broken bits to analyse Cool
Cya, Stewart

ps, i'll also get that 4AGZE piston thing done then too Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Sun, 08 February 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a broken second-gen W58 sitting in my garage right now. Three teeth are missing from 3rd gear, more than likely a result of flat-changing at 7000rpm and maximum boost. No evidence of damage to the bearings, shafts or plate.

Not sure if that's very useful, but there you go!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Mon, 09 February 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That'll do it Smile Whats the likelihood that the exact same thing would've happened to a W57 or even an earlier W58 given the situation?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Mon, 09 February 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll let you know when my W57 snaps... I'm sure it can't be too much longer!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Mon, 09 February 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chunks of this thread that went off topic have been moved to:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=28846&rid=92&S=c5202163cebb1441b11372f45 fdb293e&pl_view=&start=0#msg_251069

please continue the v8 vs turbo 6 thread there Smile

cheers
ed
wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Tue, 09 March 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the late model W58 has a bigger input bearing. the one that came behind non turbo jza sup's. it should hold more torque.
the 82-93 W58's are all the same as far as i have seen just have differnt BH's for the engines and differnt shifter locations for the various models. friend's got one holding up to a 12psi 7mgte thats been "worked" by myself. Very Happy works fawlessly but the clutch is another story..

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 09:10]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 14 April 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the strength of a W50 box?
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
icon10.gif  Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 14 April 2004 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh guys, just that i can understand the whole topic better,
Will someone please define 'Flatchanging' for me pleassseeeeee Embarassed

cheers
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 14 April 2004 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dispatcher wrote on Wed, 14 April 2004 22:27

Ahh guys, just that i can understand the whole topic better,
Will someone please define 'Flatchanging' for me pleassseeeeee Embarassed

cheers

Hit redline in a gear, clutch in, slam into next gear, dump clutch, with you accelerator barely leaving the floor
wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Wed, 14 April 2004 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not alot. I've munched 2 with a mostly stock 18rg. But both had high milage on them when i got them. The last one i had lasted till i sold the car.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am looking for a W box to suit a approx 200kw 4A engine, I dont want the extra weight of the larger boxes if i can avoid it, do you guys think the W55 is a good choice? Its for a sprinter so the ratios might be good for it too.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A W55/57/58 are all going to be a fine choice for a 200kW 4A. Nothing bigger required.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks, I want to go for the lighter more risky option of the W55 because i heard running the W57 feels like the engine has a 20kg flywheel compared to when its running a T50. Buts if thats how it is then I accept it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The W55/57/58 are all basically the same weight, as essentially they are all the same box, aside from gearing and the steel sandwich plate on the W58.

Providing you have the right flywheel, it's not going to seem like a 20kg flywheel as well!

[Updated on: Thu, 17 June 2004 12:24]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a load of crap....
weigh a steel plated w58 vs an alloy plater 57, there is VERY MINIMAL difference.
Do you enjoy pulling out drivelines? If not, just put the 58 in!

w58 - r154 - now there is a serious difference there!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I said any of them will be fine, as a) they all weigh basically the same, but also, because the torque of a 200kW 1.6l 4A isn't going to be enough to worry any of them.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wasnt having a poke at you jcmf Smile

Yes the torque of a mighty 4a wont smash too many of the w5' series unless flat changing occurs
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope no flat changing is going to happen here. I guess I will start looking at Coronas with the picture in my hand. Thanks guys
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, look at celicas and supras.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicas it is (cheaper!!)
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hopefully this should clear things up for everyone out there that wants to know bout boxes...

please note i found the site and dont know its accuracy

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBy Subject/Gearboxes.html
wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Thu, 17 June 2004 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the W55 is just as strong as the W58 early verison.
plus you'll have the benifit of a lower 1st and 2nd gear.
That will help you get into the power band quicker.(like the stock 3tgte) Especially with an A series engine..
W55's have been known to hold 390rwhp R series engines here in the states.. running 11.3's with 1.60 60fts.

toynado
Regular

May 2004
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Fri, 18 June 2004 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 88 hilux has a w56
but i broke the reverse shaft in 2 on a datsun (now nissan) pickup by dropping the clutch from a standing start at high revs in reverse
downey off road says a 350 chevy's torque will waste the w tranny's 2nd gear/shaft
wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Fri, 18 June 2004 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any tranny will break if it's beat on.

W58's have been known to hold 500ftlbs in drag supras here in the states. Yes eventually they will break but some had lasted the entire season to.
Barney
Regular

July 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Mon, 21 June 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a auto 7MGTE in my soarer. looking at slappin a manual in it

now is the W58 pretty much my only choice here? coz im having a pretty hard time finding one. could i go for a W55 or even a W50? the cars all stock and i dont intend on pushing it hard. no flat changes, no clutch dumping.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Mon, 21 June 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An R154 would be a better option, if you get one from an MA70 Supra it should all just bolt right in to your car.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Strength of W58 gearbox Mon, 21 June 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
And i have a bellhousing for a 7mgte to an r154 if you find a box out of a jza70/ one without a bellhousing Smile
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cheap and easy mods for AE93 'Rolla GTi?
Next Topic:GT4 front bar on an ST162
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:25:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087089538574219 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.