Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AGZE stalls?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

4AGZE stalls? Wed, 22 October 2003 02:43 Go to next message
When I accelerate then put clutch the revs drop and dont stop. Im not sure why this is happeneing .... I dont have the oxygen sensor in yet (installing friday).

The engine is standard the only mods I have done is pod filter, front mounted standard intercooler, ABV mod.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Cheers
Andrew
  Send a private message to this user    
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 22 October 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone?

tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 22 October 2003 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate mine does the same sometimes, dont know why either.
I hooked up the green wire from the computer to the brake circuit, which stopped it droping revs when i stopped at lights, but it didnt stop the occasional stall when i put the clutch in.
Is it Air flow or Map??
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 22 October 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the MAP version 4agze.

Can anymore ideas about a solution to this problem?

Cheers
Andrew
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 22 October 2003 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It may need a speed input. Heard of the same thing happening with some 1G engines. Fitting a speed sensor was the solution.

Grant
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 22 October 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My next question is where do I get a speed sensor from and how do I install it? How much are they?

Any info you can give would help

Cheers
Andrew
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 22 October 2003 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when I did my GZE conversion, the car did almost the same thing, I had some old plugs in it at the time, so changed them out with some new NGK's and the problem went away... My car has everything wired the same as a factory ae92 GTZ, as I used the complete set of looms from the GTZ, along with the dash etc so no wires were cut/spliced...

The front mount intercooler piping can also have an effect on the idle...
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 22 October 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The thing is it idles perfect no fluctuation at all. The only thing is does is dies when I put the clutch in to stop.

AttentionSeca
Regular

October 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 22 October 2003 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude I know jack shit about cars Razz but my car does shit like that when I dont have the air flow sensor in.
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Thu, 23 October 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone else?

SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Thu, 23 October 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not really all that helpful but my N14 pulsar used to do this. I never worked out why. Ended up selling it.
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Thu, 23 October 2003 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone fixed this problem .... it seems heaps of ppl have had this problem but so far no solutions .... weird. Very Happy

jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Fri, 24 October 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem, with new spark plugs it went away, my idle was normal unless coming to a stop when you put the clutch in... then it would drop really low and almost stall...
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Fri, 24 October 2003 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What alternative is there for spark plugs for the 4agze? I dont want to have to spend shitloads on original plugs they are way to expensive.

Thanks guys
Andrew
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Fri, 24 October 2003 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just buy a normal plug of the same specs as the GZE ones - platinum plugs aren't really much cop, anyways.

As for the idle, what exactly does 'the ABV mod' consist of? My guess is something sloppy around there is causing you grief. Also be sure ALL the wires to the ECU (e.g. speed input) are hooked up, as you can't expect everything to work if you don't!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Fri, 24 October 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be your TPS (Throttle position sensor) wire or the sensor itself.

I had a similar problem and it was my idle up valve it was stuck on and ECU had tuned itself to idle around 700rpm with the idle up on and it would shudder at about 3-400 when it clicked off. I changed the idle up valve and reset / retuned the ECU and all's good now.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Fri, 24 October 2003 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the 12 pin plug on the ECU there should be a pin called the "ELS2", and another called "ELS1" (can be identified by taking off the top of the ECU, the board is labelled)

ELS1 = Stop lamp switch
ELS2 = Idle up diode

These both detect large electrical loads and compensate to the running of the engine by increasing RPM slightly (esp at idle). I would suggest getting these wired up if they are not already.

Also with the speed sensor, have a look at http://www.twincam.org in the FAQ section and have a look at the speed sensor mod someone did for their 20V. Looks easy as!

P.S. If you haev a GZE, why are you complaining about the cost of spark plugs?
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Fri, 24 October 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL - Thanks for the info. Lets hope everything works out ok now

I complain about the price of plugs mainly because I have to get new plugs for my wrx as well and they are expensive. Confused

Cheers
Andrew

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2003 15:53]

krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Sat, 25 October 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK I have wired up the ELS1 = Stop lamp switch (already connected)ELS2 = Idle up diode .... It increased the idle a touch but didnt really do anything about the car stalling when I put the clutch in.

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Sun, 20 June 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to dig this up because I am experiencing the exact same problem. Has anyone resolved their problems in relation to the clutch in stalling problem?

[Updated on: Sun, 20 June 2004 12:17]

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Sun, 20 June 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when u did front mount did u modify any of the alloy pipes bolted to intake or throttle body section as some of these have fine ports for air
i know when fitted to ae86 they have to be turned 180 degrees and u loose these ports
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Sun, 20 June 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same problem here, AE92 AFM GZE with front mount and standard AE92 GZE ECU Crying or Very Sad

Anyone running an 86 with a GZE that DOESN'T have this problem? or if they did how did they fix it?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Sun, 20 June 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno but I'm having the same prob with my 20v. Every time I put the clutch in it stalls. Gotta heel-toe every time I come to a set of lights or corner Mad Seems new plugs are the only proven solution so far, so I'll buy some new one's tomorrow and let you know what happens.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Mon, 21 June 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 00:33

Dunno but I'm having the same prob with my 20v. Every time I put the clutch in it stalls. Gotta heel-toe every time I come to a set of lights or corner Mad Seems new plugs are the only proven solution so far, so I'll buy some new one's tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Ahh cool, I'm interested to see if it fixes your probs.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Mon, 21 June 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did new plugs and such which improved the situation immensely, as did increasing the idle a little bit. I now occasionally have bouncing idle which i put down to a leaky ABV.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Mon, 21 June 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 4agze done the same thing, had front mount and abv mod and nevo.

only ever died after hard on the throttle then quick off it then just wouldn't go to idle and stalled, i never worked it out, just got used to it by giving it a quick tap of the accelerator when i put the clutch in and it was enough to help.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Tue, 22 June 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update, it happens more frequently to me if the car is under a heavier electrical load...ie headlights + stereo on. Earth leak?
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Tue, 22 June 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
min has done the same thing a couple of times only on hard decel then stalls when i come to a stop. it doesnt restart easily afterwards either im running a VR4 frontmount no speed sensor and no O2 sensor.
is it a thing with front mount coolers? or is it just coincidence that most that have experienced this problem are running a FMIC? (GZE people anyway)
btw my idle is around 1600RPM due to 3SGE throttle body not having a low enuf adjustment in it currently (needs mods to the bypass valve)

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2004 14:31]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Tue, 22 June 2004 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I bought new plugs for it and, although it runs better, it did not fix the prob. So I went to see Dale last night and we went for a quick drive with the M/T handset in and it turned out to be the setting that controls fuel to keep it at idle after taking my foot off the accelerator. It was cutting the fuel almost completely (from what I gather) causing it to stall.

It's all good now! I guess this doesn't help you guys running stock ECU tho. I guess if you haven't already, change the plugs as this seems to have helped a lot of ppl.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
amwtoy
Regular

March 2004
Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 23 June 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This isn't just a 4AGE problem, and it doesn't seem to be a fuel/air thing either. My 18RG has been doing it over the last couple weeks and i've tried everything mix-wise (forced air intake vs ramflos, high idle vs low idle etc). It's damn scary when you need to downshift on the highway and your car nearly dies while the clutch is in! Today i put in new spark plugs and replaced all the high tension leads (spark leads and coil to dizzy) and it seemed a lot smoother... Hopefully it'll stay that way. If it doesn't i think it'll be off to an electrician to replace all the leads around the battery and coil.

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE stalls? Wed, 23 June 2004 11:50 Go to previous message
i had the problem with my 4agte, specialy since i have a atmo BOV. stalling out when comeing to a stop from too much fuel.
on the AFM there is a bypass screw, if you are stalling out from a exsessive rich mixture when coming off revs to a idle you can adjust the bypass screw to stop it.
it doesnt stall at all anymore.

i notice some of you say you have no 02 sensor, that makes the engine run rich too doesnt it?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:URGENT : AE86 4A-GE EFI Fuel Pump Replacement Options?
Next Topic:help with Ae-86 flasher can problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:38:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068290233612061 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.