Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » s/c belt squeak. too tight or loose?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
s/c belt squeak. too tight or loose? Sun, 20 June 2004 12:34 Go to next message
fridays, finally decided to change the s/c waterpump belt and aircon alt belt on friday at last, old one had major cracks and even few hole thru it

story is i tightened the belt up test drove it = ok. drove it all sat = ok.

comes sunday a belt noise at higher rpm. did a few test in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear it starts to squeak from ~5500rpm onwards. stopped by, at idle gave it a rev and no noise, so it must be the s/c belt, since its the only thing which turns on with load. everytime i jab the accelerator during driving it duz a slight squeak aswell

neway duz it sound like s/c belt. if so is it too loose or is it too tight atm? its so hard to adjust this belt since the longest bit to feel is still to short and it feel same tightness as u tighten it up, which is damn tight

ne opinion? i like to tightened it up bit more to c but not sure if its overtightened atm and i might damage somethin as i tightened it more

also am i loosing boost if its squeakin like this?
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: s/c belt squeak. too tight or loose? Sun, 20 June 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too loose id say..ie its slipping o the pulleys

this happened to my ma61 when i replaced the water pump

too tight you would be able to see/ smell it burning..

[Updated on: Sun, 20 June 2004 12:38]

old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: s/c belt squeak. too tight or loose? Sun, 20 June 2004 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my gze used to squeel after 5500 rpm. Please tighten your belt. Remember they are meant to be damn tight. (thats what Ive read!)
Also try some belt dressing. I know its a bandaid solution but it helps.

My boost gauge would tell me I would lose 1-2 PSI when this squeeling starts. I would see it drop off after 5500 rpm.

I dont have probs anymore.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: s/c belt squeak. too tight or loose? Sun, 20 June 2004 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can buy stuff in a spray can called belt grip or something like that. spray that on, tension it up and your away
Russ
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: s/c belt squeak. too tight or loose? Mon, 21 June 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate, sounds like its too loose.

I had to change my belt heaps of times. It is too loose if it starts to squeal about 5500 - 6000rpm. This basically means you are losing boost. I was running about 12 pound and when the belt was squealing, i would peak at about 9 pound, and then drop to about 7 pound or so.

These belts are designed to be really tight. saying that though, if you tighten the belt to much you will here the stress on the supercharger / belt tensioner bearings.

What measured the tension by - looking down at the engine, then grab the s/c belt. try to wiggle it up and down, and see hou much movement you have got. Optimum tension is so you can move the belt about 2 or so mm from the resting postion up or down.

Its pretty important to get the tension right - just ask the old bearings that were in my belt tensioner. Its just a matter of fiddling.

Russ
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: s/c belt squeak. too tight or loose? Mon, 21 June 2004 07:00 Go to previous message
yeah thanx people
i was pissed off hearing the squeak again this morning on the way to work, so i tightened up the bolt anotha 5 turns

test drove it squeak gone, heaps good now, was so anoying driving under 5500rpm all sunday.

nehow all is good, just hope i didnt tightened it too tight
i'll do that 2mm up and down test thingy next time i get into my car
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fitting charcoal canister to ra23
Next Topic:1G-gte Conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 04:45:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047328472137451 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.