Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 01:54 Go to next message
Hey just wondering.. i've got a charcoal canister off a rodeo. I've connected it up to the vacuum from the engine, but i'm not sure where to connect the other line on the fuel tank. Is it just the small pipe comming out of the fuel tank at the top. The two on the right (looking from the boot) go to the pump and surge tank etc. But there's one to the left/centre that's blocked off which i think is what i want but i'm not sure.

I'm also just fitting an unleaded filler neck.

Would all this work with the factory fuel cap? someone told me it probably wouldn't because of the pressure or something.
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm i'm interested in that comment you made on the pressure.

When I undo my fuel cap get heaps of pressure coming out. Maybe need an later model/efi fuel cap? Instead of the original RA item.

As for the charcole canister, not 100% sure but mine connects to a pipe that runs along the passenger side of the engine bay, the metal pipe ends just around the shock tower then goes to a rubber line.

Maybe you can trace it from here if its still in your engine bay?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the small line going to the left from the top of the RA23 tank (3-4mm) looking from the rear, is the charcoal cannister line.
It runs down the passenger side of the underbody and along the left hand chassis rail in the engine bay to a spot near/below the battery tray.
I have only fitted an external electric high pressure fuel pump to my RA23 with 1G-GZE, so I can tell you for sure that I have had no pressurization problems.
One person I know had an arrangement with an in-tank high prsssure pump feeling the engine direct, and he had tank pressurization problems and drama's with his fuel cap.
I don't know for sure, but you should be okay with your low-pressure pump feeding your surge tank.
Fuel caps on RA23's (well mine anyway) are notorious for leaking fuel because the seals on the inside perish. Maybe its the local juice I use. Anyway - I have gone through 2 in 10 years. Problem is that when the tank is full it splashes up the neck to below the cap on right hand corners.
I have now fitted an unleaded neck restrictor to the standard fill pipewith a flap/trap door, from a AE8 something Corolla. I'm hoping that along with another new cap from Toyota will cure the problem. Shame they are $50 apiece new. I think its this unleaded fuel eats away the rubber....anyhoo...hope this helps you.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But how crap would a efi type fuel cap look!!!! Crying or Very Sad

there must be another way...

Anyways where does the rubber hose go after that? does it connect up to the fuel tank at the top where i was talking about in my original post?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here I am typing up a big long answer and Turbo RA28 beats me too it !!!! Smile
Yes, I have heard of tank pressure problems with RA23 tanks and it does not surprise me as this tank was never designed for anything other they an external pump drawing out the fuel.
Some early RA20's that went to the USA had a mechanical fuel injection set-up and an in-tank electric pump, and the part number for this fuel tank is different from the one fitted to the AUS-spec cars.
Mitch.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool thanks heaps guys.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That line runs down between the front of the tank and the back of the back seat before re-appearing behind your diff and heading north along the LHS of the underbody.
Mitch.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gotta give me a chance to reply dude !
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But obviously there'd be some type of valve I could use if i did get a pressure problem. How do they do it in custom fuel tanks.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't help you with your last questions.
All I can offer is that "in theory" you should not run into an tank pressure problems using a low-pressure external pump outside your fuel tank, to fill up your surge tank.

BTW, your signature.....nissan motor in a Classic Toyota "What more can I say?".....how about "Sorry" ?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 21 June 2004 04:24]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In regards to the pressure it probably depends how the surge tank setup is.

I have a low pressure pump feeding a surge tank, then a hi-flow pump from the surge tank to engine.

But the return line from the engine goes back to the surge tank, then the surge tank has an overflow back to the fuel tank.

So with a setup like that I assume the whole system could still pressurise itself if enough fuel is returning from the surge tank to the fuel tank?

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 14:02

So with a setup like that I assume the whole system could still pressurise itself if enough fuel is returning from the surge tank to the fuel tank?

I dont see how it could... youve always got the same amount of fuel.

AFAIK fuel tank pressure is caused by changing temperatures.
Ive plumbed my carb fuel return line to the old charcoal cannister line.
Because thats now blocked i also get a big release of pressure when i take the fuel cap off.
I wonder if drilling a very small hole (0.8mm) in the fuel cap would be a bad idea??
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 12:01

When I undo my fuel cap get heaps of pressure coming out. Maybe need an later model/efi fuel cap? Instead of the original RA item.

I cant see what differnce the cap would make becuase all you are doing is putting a restrictor in the neck so you can only put ulp due to the smaller hole. Even in newer cars which obviously all run on ulp get heaps of pressure comming out when you undo them. So i really dont see a problem.
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: fitting charcoal canister to ra23 Mon, 21 June 2004 07:44 Go to previous message
I thought that the other line on the fuel tank was for pressure release, correct me if I'm wrong.

The charcoal canister in my RA23 was stuffed so I took it up and blocked the lines.

TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 11:31

Hmm i'm interested in that comment you made on the pressure.

TurboRA28: I was getting the same problem with the pressure release when I undid my fuel cap until I unblocked what I would think is the pressure release line (the one that runs into the engine bay)

Maybe the same line that I had blocked is blocked on your car too?

The only reason it goes into the charcoal canister is to prevent the nasty petrol fumes getting into the atmosphere.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:custom extractor
Next Topic:s/c belt squeak. too tight or loose?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 06:03:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049619674682617 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.