Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
irwige
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Mon, 21 June 2004 13:25 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

My brother and i are considering entering into motorsport. we are aware of the various safety precautions and the like but am unsure what racing class and vehicle to go for that would have the best range of competition and also the most events and best atmosphere.

we are looking at a road class car (possibly an open wheeler but im more thinking something that i can apply my knowledge to) and something that is light tuned to keep costs down but also have enough performance to at least get the adrenaline pumping.

so my questions are as follows.

What Class of racing is best for the Sydney/Wollongogn/Southern Highlands area that would fit my above needs? the class needs to be a road class with limited or low modifications.

now for a car.

i have always loved the look of the older supras, the ones before the current shape (that i always ALWAYS forget the model number of) is it JZA70? either way, im looking for a car which has a good power delivery (perhaps a 1jz-gte) and a good chassis that lends itself to racing well.

im sue you guys get my drift, it will be a car that is solely used and modified for racing, so quality of interior and options wont be a consideration, just handling and power and handling (did i mention handling?)

cheers guys
  Send a private message to this user    
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Mon, 21 June 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am definitely not an expert but I wouldn't think the Supra you are thinking of would be a good idea. They are a bit heavy aren't they?
I think a reasonably good class would be improved production. I think this class is designated 3J. This has a few classes in itself I belive.
Try this website for info:
http://www.ipransw.com.au/

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Mon, 21 June 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The body you are talking about is the A70. It came with three engines. the 1G in the GA70 (crap), the 1JZ in the JZA70 (good engine, powerful, tend to break their turbos), and the 7M (more torque down low, but not as much power as 1JZ, and has head gasket troubles). Others I'm sure will fill you in on the specifics of each of these engines and their advantages.

But as Benjamin said, a A70 chassis is over 1500kg.
You could go with an MA61, if you could change the engine. As I understand, the 5M isn't much chop, but it is a 1100kg car. A 1JZ in a MA61 would be deadly. Either that or a RX7 Series 4 or 5. Of course this depends on what class you chose, and I don't know anything about the classes.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Mon, 21 June 2004 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u want to get into racing, join a cams affiliated car club, they will sort u out Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Tue, 22 June 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Mon, 21 June 2004 23:21

You could go with an MA61, if you could change the engine. As I understand, the 5M isn't much chop, but it is a 1100kg car.

If you added 200kg to that mark, you'd be a lot closer to the correct weight! I WISH it was 1100kg!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Tue, 22 June 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really? I had Hirogen check it out for me (his dad has 2.. well 2 and a half MA61s), and he said 1100kg. Still, 1,300kg is a lot less than 1500+kg.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Tue, 22 June 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really Smile Depending on spec it could be anywhere between like 1225kg and 1350kg...but nothing in the 1100's Smile
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Tue, 22 June 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just join a car club and enter in sprints, racing against the clock

If you want real racing, and want to be competitive, you'll have to decide on a series that suits you, and prepare to layout lots of the folding stuff Wink

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Tue, 22 June 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 19:48

Just join a car club and enter in sprints, racing against the clock

If you want real racing, and want to be competitive, you'll have to decide on a series that suits you, and prepare to layout lots of the folding stuff Wink

Napkins? I can get napkins pritty easily.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Tue, 22 June 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you sell a fuckload of napkins then you just might be able to go racing!! Freak
irwige
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Tue, 22 June 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im organising all i need to get my cams licence, ill look into the cams car clubs.

my brother is actually quite heavily into miatas/mx-5's and he is slowly swaying me to the dark side (ie not toyotas) as they do have very well organised track days and club meets and the car (although not incredibly fast) sticks to the road like glue.

i have a 1jz-gte on my soarer and am also a member of the ALSC and the turbos are far from unreliable if you look after them. with a good inlet and a high flow set of dumps and cat and exhaust you can boost them to 14.5-15psi no problems and not have to worry about the ceramic turbines stuffing up. also never heard of a gasket problem on them either.

sad to hear the older supra was so heavy, i really love the look of them and for some reason assumed they handled as good as they look.

i can get some sponsorship without too much trouble so folding stuff although not easy to come by, should be available in moderation.

keep the advice coming guys its appreciated.

ps. with all bias aside, what do you guys think of a miata/mx-5 as a track car? or is there some pitfalls with this idea that i will have obviously overlooked.

cheers.
irwige
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Tue, 22 June 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im organising all i need to get my cams licence, ill look into the cams car clubs.

my brother is actually quite heavily into miatas/mx-5's and he is slowly swaying me to the dark side (ie not toyotas) as they do have very well organised track days and club meets and the car (although not incredibly fast) sticks to the road like glue.

i have a 1jz-gte on my soarer and am also a member of the ALSC and the turbos are far from unreliable if you look after them. with a good inlet and a high flow set of dumps and cat and exhaust you can boost them to 14.5-15psi no problems and not have to worry about the ceramic turbines stuffing up. also never heard of a gasket problem on them either.

sad to hear the older supra was so heavy, i really love the look of them and for some reason assumed they handled as good as they look.

i can get some sponsorship without too much trouble so folding stuff although not easy to come by, should be available in moderation.

keep the advice coming guys its appreciated.

ps. with all bias aside, what do you guys think of a miata/mx-5 as a track car? or is there some pitfalls with this idea that i will have obviously overlooked.

cheers.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Tue, 22 June 2004 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the Miata would be a grouse track car, all bias aside Wink

I think the bigest problem is if you just want to run club events you will HAVE to get a roll cage (as opposed to full roofed cars u can get away with it in lower forms of competition)

In my car club (TCCAv) there is a bloke with an MX5 and anohter with a Twin turbo soarer, both fly

I would prefer something small like the MX5 for track, but thats me, i like small cars... The soarer although big, still abslutely hammers and is a force to be reconed with Smile

But if you want to do serious competition, you will have to choose the car and build it to the specs of the series you choose. I dont know much about this though...

Sprints u can pretty much bring anything and compete, in victoria we have the Group 5 championship, which is just a series of club run sprint events which make up a championship. Serveral people on here compeate in group 5 sprints regulary
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Wed, 23 June 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just joined the wollongong sporting car club and have gotten my CAMS license.

the WSCC host mainly speed events like hillclimbs but once you are in a CAMS affiliated club and have the required license u can compete in all sorts of speed events organised by other clubs as long as u contact them and enter in the manner they require or the event organisers invite entrants from other clubs.

ive yet to compete but am prepping a car for hillclimb and should be able to soonly.

be prepared to be handicapped in most/all events if u want to enter a vehicle with forced induction. You may find u will be in a class that you aren't competitive in.

- decide how u wanna race
- join club
- get CAMS license
- get CAMS book
- build car to requirements in CAMS book
- have fun
Cool
lyle-act
Regular

June 2004
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Wed, 23 June 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VERY expensive getting into motor sport.

I was looking into those "Aussie Racers" or what ever its called racing that was "cheap" and it was around $25k for the car and then around $1500 per race, and then all the work needed on thecars after each race... it became quite expensive.

If you have the cash though, BOOYA!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Wed, 23 June 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lyle-act wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 15:15

VERY expensive getting into motor sport.

depends

Club membership approx $40 per yr
CAMS 2S license $83 per yr
CAMS book $44
Entering hillclimbs or other events approx $60-$200

speed events allow you to use your road car as long as u pass certain scrutineering requirments... so tack on another $1000 or so.

you might not be competitive but u will have fun and find your footing, and u can go on from there.

first stand... then walk Cool
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Wed, 23 June 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 17:00

Really? I had Hirogen check it out for me (his dad has 2.. well 2 and a half MA61s), and he said 1100kg. Still, 1,300kg is a lot less than 1500+kg.

What I said was the tare on the rego said 1100, not that it actually weighed that much.
irwige
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Wed, 23 June 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the insight guys.

keep it coming

making notes.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Wed, 23 June 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hirogen wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 17:11

Shraka wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 17:00

What I said was the tare on the rego said 1100, not that it actually weighed that much.

Oh okay. Well even if it is 1300, is lighter than nearly 1600kg.
lyle-act
Regular

June 2004
Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Thu, 24 June 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 23 June 2004 15:57

depends

Club membership approx $40 per yr
CAMS 2S license $83 per yr
CAMS book $44
Entering hillclimbs or other events approx $60-$200

speed events allow you to use your road car as long as u pass certain scrutineering requirments... so tack on another $1000 or so.

you might not be competitive but u will have fun and find your footing, and u can go on from there.

first stand... then walk Cool

hill climbs are the shiz.. ^_^
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Opinions on Race Classes and Vehicles appreciated. Thu, 24 June 2004 09:08 Go to previous message
Just use what you have for a couple of events then go from there.
A club hillclimb or supersprint would be a good start or just spend the $30k plus and buy a clubman.Best value for money as far as speed handling etc and top ten outright or better is nice when the other 60 odd cars should have shat all over you.

Most of all have fun and good luck.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1986 Celica SX VS Nissan Maxima
Next Topic:not me
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 06:04:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.023319959640503 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.