Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TheCaptn
Newcomer

October 2003

Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Mon, 21 June 2004 12:06 Go to next message
Just looking for some input here.
My little Celica (ST162 with the 3SGE engine) broke down a couple of days ago, RACV bloke thought it was either a fuel pump seizure or an electrical problem (he couldn't find any power going to the pump but wasn't sure he was testing the right points since I haven't got a decent manual for it).

Anyway, the mechanic calls and says 'fuel pump' and quotes me $830 for replacement parts and labour (supposed to be a real bitch to get to).

I haven't got a clue here... I could understand the engine in my old VW, but this is well out of my league.
It's an offical Toyota dealer/mechanic, they use genuine parts and are probably at the expensive end of the labour scale. With that in mind is $830 a resonable kind of quote?

I don't mind so much if it's a bit steep... I mean, I gotta borrow the money from the folks, which I hate but I can deal. I just need to make sure I'm not getting ripped.
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Mon, 21 June 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are being ripped.
Big time.
If you are paying more than $50 / hour for labour, that is too much.
Sounds like they are selling you a $280 pump for $440 as well.
Buy a Haynes/Gregory's/Whatever manual and pull the pump out yourself. Buy and fit a new pump, either genuine Toyota or a Goss or whatever your budget and taste runs too.
I have a Haynes manual/book here and if you want, send me your address or a fax number and I will post/fax the pages.
I think you have to either drop the tank or pull the back seat base out to get to the tank. Either way, it is do-able with basic tools, time and care.
Before you do all this, get it tested to see if it is either the pump or a fault / fuse / problem with the wiring. No point changing the pump if its still working fine.
You will get much more satisfaction out of changing the pump yourself than paying $830.00.
Gee - what I could do with a ST162 an $800......!
Cheers,
Mitch.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Mon, 21 June 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
800 bux get you full zorsty! Smile

The Fuel pump IS A PAIN in these cars

You have to drop the tank which is a kinda pain, but that said, not impossible

in the 1990+ models you could do it with the tank in, but for the 162, it has to be out Sad uber crummy

anyway, trusty Haynes here, it don't look too bad... siphon a bit out if it is full anyway

Rob Wink
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Mon, 21 June 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or $800 could get you a custom front end with rose joints Smile

I'll 'third' that you are getting ripped, but I will also warn you that fiddling around with your fuel tank can be extremely dangerous - make sure you do it in a very well ventilated area on a cool day (that shouldn't be a problem in melbourne) - or if you can, get the tank fully siphoned and put the fuel back in later?

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Mon, 21 June 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably being the only person here who has actually changed the fuel pump in one of these (chances are FWDboy has done it) Rob knows what I am talking about, yeah I think your getting ripped, I did mine with a trolley jack, blocks of wood, and a socket set.

there should be a drain plug at the bottom of the tank, 86/87 had this 88/89 me and Rob found didn't Sad if you don't, how much fuel do you have left in your tank curently??? if there is not much say Quater or less you will be able to drop it anyway, other wise to syphon it out the best way is to remove some of the pipes off the front and drain it through there.

Good luck man thats all the info I can give

But yeah deffinatly ripped off with that price, Draza got a mechanic to replace his pump and including the pump it only costed about $400.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Mon, 21 June 2004 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Funnily enough, it's probably the only part of my car that I haven't fiddled with Smile

I'm surprised the 88/89 doesn't have a fuel tank drain plug - you sure?! That's a pretty wierd thing to change
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Mon, 21 June 2004 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah man, Rob can back me up on this one, since we did afterall do it on the road in front of his house Laughing Rolling Eyes
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Mon, 21 June 2004 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

yeah man, Rob can back me up on this one, since we did afterall do it on the road in front of his house

lol, yep, and Joel's dad even put some of the fuel you guys siphone dout in the Ford for the trip back to Canberra! hehe Very Happy
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Mon, 21 June 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like I said before, be sure its the pump before you drop the tank.
Bridge the +B and Fp pins in the diagnostic port and listen for noise from the fuel pump regulator. Squeeze the hose (upstream) from the fuel filter and feel if there is fuel in there.
If there is no pressure then check the 15 Amp EFI fuse, the 7.5Amp IGN fuse and the EFI main relay, and the Circuit Open Relay.
If the fuses and relay's are all OK, then its most likely your fuel pump and you will be dropping the tank.
There *should* be a drain plug alongside one of the tank straps.
I'm surprised that there is not on every model ST162.
Cheers,
Mitch.
TheCaptn
Newcomer

October 2003

Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Tue, 22 June 2004 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's no way in hell I'm gonna do it myself.
Sorry, but the only tools I own are a screw driver and... Well... Pretty much just that.
(Unless you count all the mini-sized electronics stuff.)

My choice is between letting this mechanic do the work, or getting the car towed to another one somewhere. If the other one is still gonna charge me 700+ there's no point.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Tue, 22 June 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well there is ALSO no way in hell that I will let you get charged $830 for a fuel pump replacement

Smile
TheCaptn
Newcomer

October 2003

Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Tue, 22 June 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just talked to him relaying some of these concerns... It took a while but he bumped it down to $750 which is the absolute lowest he can go.

You did it though Rob... I'm not paying $830. Very Happy
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Tue, 22 June 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ask another couple mechanics!!

I think $750 might still be quite a bit too high
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Tue, 22 June 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could always do *some* of the work yourself that you are comfortable with, and then let the pros do the rest? That might get the price down.

Still even if you went out, bought your own tools, got the manual, got the new fuel pump, you'd still be at least $500 better off. Maybe someone in melb off these forums could come down and give you a hand?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Tue, 22 June 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously dude, it's not complicated and $750 could buy a lot of stuff! People say it's a pain, and that you have to drop the tank, in reality, it's not a complicated thing anyway.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Celica (3SGE) fuel pump replacement cost? Wed, 23 June 2004 01:29 Go to previous message
Where bvouts in Melbourne r u mate?I have a haynes manual and some sorta mech ability n im sure SRTWINCAM and some of the other 162 biys can make an early cruise out of it, get it goin n then finish off the day with another cruise.Let us know n we'll see what we can do!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:problem fixed. please delete
Next Topic:1ggte dump pipes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:21:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051810741424561 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.