Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 09:29 Go to next message
Maybe not really techy but thought maybe better responses in here..

I was wondering if anyone has one of these and report on how good it is.

They are at Bunnings for $98 140amp.

I've done a fair bit of TIG welding so stick is pretty agricultural in comparison, but I was thinking it might be good for around the house and the odd bits and pieces. I've used stick on some pretty heavy stuff but can you do the thinner walled tubing etc with stick? I know it won't be as neat as with a TIG or MIG (eg. welding 2 bits of mild steel exhust bits together).

I just don't know if I want a gas bottle lying around if I don't really use it that much.. I also know there are gasless MIGs but these are fairly pricey and I'm wondering how much better they would be than stick (I haven't used one).

Thanks.
Any opinions greatly appreciated.
Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2004 09:51]

Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Although I am not a hardcore welder I have used:
TIG
MIG
ARC
OXY

TIG does 99% of jobs you'd ever need to do
MIG is a poor mans TIG
ARC is for making big chunky welds that have slag and shit all over them
OXY is good for people like you and I that just want to weld the occasional bit of pipe or whatever together

I would grab the OXY dude... the ARC will be a pain in the arse!

I am probably biased because i'm a firebug though!
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want a cheap "welder"
get a "turbo torch" or gas axe...i see them all the time at plumbing and refrigeration\AC supply places
the ones with the portable MAP gas bottle on the bottom
i use them in place of an Oxy\acetylene set all the time(usually because i cant be bothered to haul up 2 20kg bottles up a ladder or something). make a nice enough flame to easily braze\solder pipe with

but...for $98 and if you're not a serious welder AND dont mind nice messy welds..then i guess it wouldnt be a waste of money Smile
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't seen these turbo torches or MAP gas bottles but I'll check it out. Thanks for the replies. Oxy set would be good but I've only seen them with the 2 fairly big bottles. Kind of thought that about stick, just havent used it much so thought maybe you could produce half decent welds with decent practice. (They are fat sticks of metal though...)

I enjoyed doing the TIG, got really neat with it towards the end. Aluminium was always a test though (didn't perfect that), having to clean the piece, juggle the heat etc, don't touch the job piece with electrode etc...

I don't know know - was thinking of justr buying it..but will do a bit more homework now
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why does everyone suggest stick welds are shit? its the operater thats using it, you should be able to put down a stick weld just as neat as a mig weld
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything made by GMC is absolutly CRAP, nothing of theirs ever lasts!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad and i do all our welding with a 30+ y.o Stick worked. As good or better than and mig welder would do. migs are just heaps easier to use!
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im a boilermaker by trade, and totally agree with you v8 man. all this winging about slag, if you put down a decent weld the slag will just fall off, no chipping required.

also, mig, tig, arc, oxy ect all have there place it all depends on the job and whats required of the job Smile
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is GMC really that bad Simon?? I thought it might be good to buy new as they have probably a year warranty..but maybe spend more you reckon and get better brand. I know the GMC cordless drills are shit - but I thought with a welder they're basically just windings etc...but I don't really know.

I'm skeptical now. Was looking 4wd to a cheap welder..anybody know
a brand that is comparable in price but better product?

Thanks everyone for the help Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2004 11:33]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol with welders u get what you pay for, and 98 bucks isnt going to buy you much.

a mate of mine just bought a 1200 buck mig and its exceptionally good, does a good job every single time!
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You get what you pay for...
Enuf said.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

I've had a GMC 100mm grinder for about 3 years and it cops a flogging a few times a week and its still going strong Smile
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know you get a good one for a grand - but I just dont know how much I will use it so hard to justify. Cool 1 has had some good results with his grinder Confused , maybe they're not so bad (GMC that is).

Hmm decisions Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your only going to use it once or twice a month, it will do just fine.
Many people like to think you have to spend big dollars on industrial tools that will only be used a dozen times a year, this is not the case.
Fair enough spending a few hundred dollars on a set of good quality spanners as they will last a life time, however this cannot be said for a welder.
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For 98 bucks who cares, give it a go. At the end of the day it's a transformer and the only moving part is the mechanism that changes the current to give you a difference in power, what can break? It's not like a MIG with wire feed and gas etc. As for the welds, the comments above say it all. For general handyman type work you won't go wrong.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good call paddles and cool1 - You've sold me!! I think I'll start with this - if I end up using it quite a bit then maybe move onto MIG or something better.

Off to Bunnings we go Cool
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 21:51

Many people like to think you have to spend big dollars on industrial tools that will only be used a dozen times a year, this is not the case.
Fair enough spending a few hundred dollars on a set of good quality spanners as they will last a life time, however this cannot be said for a welder.

but if you have a decent one they last forever Smile Ours is 30 years old and still going strong, Its one by COMPAK.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 22:08

Cool1 wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 21:51

but if you have a decent one they last forever Smile Ours is 30 years old and still going strong, Its one by COMPAK.

So you bought one this century, but its 30 years old?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad bought it when he was in his 20s, hes now 55
it gets used almost every week and has done all welding work around my house, to our cars and the lot

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2004 12:13]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you need to get out and smell the roses. This is the 21 century! We now have colour TV and lots of people in this world that dont want to pay good dollars for good shit.
My point?? Everything these days is built to a price and is not made to last.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah ok i see what you mean. My welder is too old school for this conversation Smile
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GMC crap normally has a year warranty, so who cares if it doesn't last. as long as you don't mind goin back to the store when it breaks
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought myself a 170amp MIG under 12 months ago - its gas/no gas so you can do either - i have a small bottle of argon mix which seems to do the trick no issues there.

i've seen arc welds done before - with arc, experience matters. i am a hopeless arc welder, but, MIGging is heaps easier in comparison and for me much neater than arc (again i am a shit arc welder namely due to lack of experience)

for 98 bucks you can't go too far wrong. i dare say spend the extra and get a GOOD helmet - one of those that goes dark when the arc is struck - they start at around $250 (how much is your eyesight worth, believe me its cheap) and learn to use the stick welder, practice practice practice basically.

i wouldn't use oxy personally as i don't like the idea of the two explosive gas bottles that come with it ; yes the MIG uses a gas bottle but the primary gas is argon is inert, just, if you have a leak, pray its in an open area (otherwise you will die from asphyixciation(sp))

if you really wanna spend some serious chaching - get yourself a TIG - awesome device.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Tue, 22 June 2004 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Grega - about how much did you get your mig for?

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Wed, 23 June 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't really like the dimming helmet that much - I was welding a chassis together (light gauge tubing) and as there were more members being added they got in the road of the sensor, so I ended up just using the standard flip down one. That said for most things they are better (the ones that dim that is) .

I'm still in 2 minds on what to buy - I'm too indecesive
Rolling Eyes
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Wed, 23 June 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just short of $800 if memory serves. its a SIP Coppermate 170

remember to check up on duty cycle if you intend laying down large welds full on...
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Thu, 24 June 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a farm-bred mofo, raised on arc-welding. If you have got 10 years experiance at arc-welding, you can do a pretty good job 90% of the time. I've seen the guys at work do mig-welding and they nail it 1st time every time, and they're lucky to weld once every other month. They're are mechanics by trade not welders.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Thu, 24 June 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the feedback - fair few responses Very Happy .
I popped into bunnings but no bunnings seem to have them at the moment. It has a 2 year warranty though comes with handshield, slag chipper and some rods I think. Good way to get started I think. I know how handy MIG is, maybe after this I might upgrade, can't lose for this price though. The duty cycle is only 25% 47 amps though (I don't know if that means you can run it for 1.25mins at 47 amps without giving it a rest). The welder next to it on the shelf looked pretty much the same but that was $230..had same duty cycle and was also made in Italy Confused Shocked .

There was also a CIG weld for $210 that had a fan. If I was spending that much though I would probably consider a MIG.

I got some good articles today (from a guy at work) on welding choice...and another on TIG welding if anyone is interested. Would have been handy before I did my welding course.

Thanks everyone,
Ben
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Thu, 24 June 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, those articles would be interesting. I guess they are on paper, any chance of scanning them in?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Thu, 24 June 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - I can scan them in, there's quite a few pages so might make a pdf out of it and host it.

Wont be for a little while though
commander
Regular

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Wed, 07 July 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lincoln wire feed
$300-400

works great.... handy core 100

welder ..... uuummm 60 amp alternator driven by a 1/2 hp motor

or run it off your alternator ...under the bonnet...

no..,. mate , no joke, the jeeps used to come with a second alternator JUST for welding.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Wed, 07 July 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Funny you should dig this post up. Got this welder out of the tradingpost on weekend stuff the bunnings one... got a MIG instead

http://hosting.picgoo.com/uploads7/img_0046.jpg

http://hosting.picgoo.com/uploads7/img_0049.jpg

I'm going to get some gas..but I have some fluxed wire but can't seem to weld with it. I have tried switching terminals but no good (is this what you're meant to do)

Are you selling the lincoln?

That's interesting about the jeeps
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: GMC ARC Welder **Opinions Please** Wed, 07 July 2004 11:15 Go to previous message
Also the guy kept the regulator - does anybody know where would be the cheapest place to get a decent regulator?

Thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze No Spark!
Next Topic:V160/V161 6 Speed gearbox info req'd
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:38:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079340934753418 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.