Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Suspension Height Problems Wed, 23 June 2004 07:57 Go to next message
I am having a lot of problems with the height of my car, I want it to be standard height, I have got standard height springs in it, but it still seems really low.

Its an AW11 MR2, they should have ground clearance of 130mm approx, but mines scrapes 100mm approx.

Was wondering if it had short stroke shocks, would that limit the height the spring could go? (I think it would) cause I had to compress the spring a long way to get them on.

Are there any distinct ways you can tell short stroke shocks from regular stroke?

Or is there something else I am missing?

PS. I have short strokes on my celica but I don't wanna go an pull them apart again to check them.
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension Height Problems Thu, 24 June 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel, you know you want it to be low riderz so it is teh best for cruizin for da honeyz!

Seriously though the only reason I can think of that would make standard springs sit the car 30mm lower is due to them sagging with age. I am assuming you have fitted standard springs that are old not new?

A short stroke shock could only bring the car lower with a standard spring if the static position of the car has the short stroke shock "topped out". To find out if this is the case just jack up the car and if the wheels don't drop at all then it's the short stroke of the shock that is decreasing your cars height. If you jack up the car and the wheels drop then it will be that your springs have "sagged" and cannot not hold the car at it's stock height.

This simple check should answer your questions.

I may however be completely wrong as I am not qualified in anything to do with automobiles Very Happy

Shane.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Suspension Height Problems Thu, 24 June 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the idea man. They dropped along way, so that rules that out.

Would a spring really sag that much though? 30mm is a fair old distance.

I actually got a set of aftermarket stock height springs so they are stiffer, alot stiffer
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suspension Height Problems Thu, 24 June 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that eliminates one problem Smile that would have been a bad problem anyhow as a shock completely extended in a static position is bad mmmkay!

Springs sagging 30mm over time (10 years) is very common, sagging much more than that in standard springs is even more common. Many people who have cars in excess of 10 years old are sadly dissappointed when they buy a new set of 2 inch lower than standard aftermarket springs only to find that their car is the same height or higher Shocked because their old springs had sagged so much Laughing.

So the conclusion would be that your shocks (short stroke or not) are not making your car lower than standard and the springs that you are running have compressed to a new static height 30mm lower than the standard springs were when new! Or the springs were in fact never going to position the car at the same height as the factory originals?

Good luck with it!

MR2 are awesome little cars, can't wait to see it on the road.

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Suspension Height Problems Thu, 24 June 2004 15:18 Go to previous message
yeah man Thanks

Can't wait to get it on the road either, it won't be real straight line power but hey will be generally more fun me thinks. If all goes well hoping to have it up by wakefield in august Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae82 100kw
Next Topic:need help!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:35:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043840408325195 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.