Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?")

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 01:46 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Just wondering if there's anyone here with views or opinions on the best muffler design for getting a free-flowing exhaust with minimum noise.

I've decided to bite the bullet after 4 years and want to get the exhaust gases moving a bit better, however want to try and keep the decibels down as much as possible.

Most FWD 4AGE Corollas that I see with sports exhausts tend to piss me off a bit, and I'll be really annoyed if I end up with a system that:
a) Is too loud
b) Drones
c) Sounds like a giant fart has been stuck up the car's arse!

I'm not really interested in big shiney fuck-off mufflers or specific brand names, I just want something that works.

My current plans are to keep the factory headers in place at the moment, and go for a pipe diameter of around 2 inches (with mandrel bends).

Ideally I'll be able to unbolt the rear pipe (muffler) and bolt the standard one back on if I ever have to make a long trip and don't want the noise, but I'd prefer for it to not be so noisy that this is always necessary.

Are there any thoughts/opinions/experience on what works well for the 4AGE in terms of muffling?

And has anyone had the same aim as me in the past and been successful/unsuccessful in ever making it happen?

Anyone?
  Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've often thought about this myself, and I decided I'll just get a professional guy to make the system up and just tell him what pipe diameters I want and that if he makes it too loud I'll jam the whole system up his arse (or just get a resonator put in, whichever he is more comfortable doing).

Generally speaking - 2 inch pipe with mandrel bends won't be too farty on a 4A-GE, although the factory headers may not help too much with fartiness.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know that 4ages exp in rollas are veyr hard to keep quiet with a zorst in Sad
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 12:54

I know that 4ages exp in rollas are veyr hard to keep quiet with a zorst in Sad

I know - There's got to be some sort of trade off in terms of noise for flow, which i'm prepared to accept.

I just want to see if I'm going to be able to minimise it as much as possible, and still make some worthwhile gains in terms of performance.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 12:50

although the factory headers may not help too much with fartiness.

Why exactly would that be Question
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once you have worked out how to get rid of back pressure noise, put in one of those exhaust open/close solinoid valves, so on long trips/cops you just flick the switch and it shuts your car up be limiting the gas flow (kinda like a on/off muffler)
you can get them at muffler men for about 500 i think. expensive, but they to the job.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
start your exhaust big, and get smaller
the biggest gains are made closes to the engine, where the gasses are still hot

so you want a good set of extractors (4-2-1, or 4-1, depending on what you want), 2" or 2.25" pipe to a high flow cat, then into a 2" pipe, back to a fairly standard muffler on the back (a giant rice can at the end will make very little difference over a reasonably flowing oval muffler)

If you're like me, you want something dead quiet at idle, and once you start screaming up the rev range you dont mind the noise.

interestingly, despite the fact I have a 3" system on my car with no cat, at idle you can barely hear it.
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had this idea in my head for a while. Might not get maximum hp but will have a nice note and hp plus retains a fair bit of torque.

4/2/1 extractors
2 1/4 all the way.
Standard cat. (I think)
a welded 2.5 exhaust.
(standard cat with a chopped tip. Buy a tip from autobarn according to torque/noise requirements.)

This should work good. I'm running something similar atm. Quiet. But at high rpm great note and sound. Very inconspicious exhaust. Good performance. Relatively cheap.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would personally recommend a Lukey Super Turbo muffler - triple pass ducted design... very high flow, and dead quiet.

PS: Lukey super turbos are just re-branded Magnaflow mufflers, so check out their site if you want the details (catalogue is the same)

c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought lukeys were walker
mangaflow is american, very nice stainless stuff

any way, on my car 4age i've got

4-2-1 extractors via IDB, via stewart wilkins racing, via liverpool exhausts.

then into a generic straight through centre inlet offset outlet, proper straight through.

then into a shiney fuck off 3A racing cannon, it's my car Razz

all 2.25 piping, no bad bends as it's under axle, it's easier for exhaust moron to bend, they are lazy and i'm cheap, works good

originally it had a resonator where the staight through was, too damn loud, i'd recommend two straight through mufflers at a minimum on any 4ag powered car. Induction noise will be loud if you have a pod, and you can regulate that with your foot. I can't stand drone. Save your ears people.

dodgydan
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a Exhaust system on my SX rolla. Goes like this:

- Cat Back (normal sad cat)

- Two inch pipping all the way(no hot dog)

- Then a Muffler with a 3 inch i think.. Dump tip

and its pritty loud doesnt fart alot tho only at higher revs in low gears. Want to make the car less noisy.. would a standard muffler help in some noise reduction? but keeping the two inch pipping?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c2888 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 16:34

i thought lukeys were walker
mangaflow is american,

yep, lukey is walker, and walker is prctically magnaflow
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak the Walker/Lukey book we have at work has some nice tips on exhaust accoustics. i decided to go with the stainless straight through glass pack muffler they make. being on a turbo it's not too loud anyways. the glass pack resonators they do put inline would quieten a system down a fair bit if it where too loud. i have even seen glass pack exhaust tips on the net.

this is my current set-up
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/zor1.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/zor5.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/ali5.jpg
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Fri, 05 March 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anybody tried making a twin exhaust from the cat back. All the tuning benefits other than dumping the exhaust gas should be had by the design of the exhaust in front of the cat. So running a dual exhaust or a pipe down each side of the rear of the car should halve the volume of exhaust gas in each pipe and so enable the use of smaller mufflers to get greater silencing effect. Plus an exhaust tip on each side of the rear would look pretty schmick methinks. Rolling Eyes
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Tue, 09 March 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice above guys - Some of it has been very helpful.

Ed - Thanks for the tip on Lukey. I didn't know much about them however saw on the weekend that my mate's rally car uses a Lukey muffler and that's quiet enough for my liking.

Also found an interesting muffler review/comparo on Autospeed in case anyone's interested.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0 383&P=6

Draven:
Quote:

the biggest gains are made closes to the engine, where the gasses are still hot

so you want a good set of extractors (4-2-1, or 4-1, depending on what you want), 2" or 2.25" pipe to a high flow cat, then into a 2" pipe, back to a fairly standard muffler on the back

Would adding another free-flowing muffler at the middle of the car cause too much restriction do you think, or would it quieten things down nicely while still allowing better than standard flow?

Quote:

If you're like me, you want something dead quiet at idle, and once you start screaming up the rev range you dont mind the noise.

interestingly, despite the fact I have a 3" system on my car with no cat, at idle you can barely hear it.

Yeah - But I've got a 4A, not a 1J! Mad Razz
franky
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Tue, 22 June 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think ull find this link intresting....theres 3 pages to go to on the bottom which give u flow tests in cfm and noise in db of various mufflers

check it out!
franky
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Tue, 22 June 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also has muffler sound recorded toO (mp3)!
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Best Muffler Construction? (or "How to make a 4AGE quiet?") Wed, 23 June 2004 08:57 Go to previous message
What's wrong with the standard muffler? Even with the loudest muffler you'll only gain around 7 kw. And since you want a quiet system you won't gain that much anyway. The $200 or so dollars could be better spent IMHO.

Failing that have you seen those Honda MUGEN style mufflers which are canons with an additional pipe on the side to drown out noise? I've seen a FTO with one of those but it wasn't moving so I can't tell you how it sounds.
There's a pic at http://www.carreview.com/Exhaust/Mufflers/Mugen,Tw in,Loop,System/PRD_54527_2872crx.aspx

[Updated on: Wed, 23 June 2004 09:01]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4A-GE into KE55 Corolla
Next Topic:KE25 Engine Conversion - 4k to 2tg!! How Easy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:04:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014926195144653 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.