Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
roach
Newcomer

June 2004
RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Fri, 25 June 2004 01:22 Go to next message
'scuse the noob question.

There's no coolant flowing to my heater core. Why? Because the previous owner has chopped the hose at the firewall (engine bay side).

I've got the Haynes manual, but can't work out where to reconnect the hose to.

Can anyone help? Also, any ideas on why the prev owner would have done this?

Thanks
Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Fri, 25 June 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This was almost certainly done because the heater core is corroded through and leaking somewhere. I strongly recommend you pull it out and inspect it before re-connecting those hoses, or chances are you'll end up with wet feet!
roach
Newcomer

June 2004
Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Fri, 25 June 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers, will do that.

Can you tell me where to connect the hoses in the engine bay once the core is checked out?
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Fri, 25 June 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your still running the 18r-c engine I'll try and tell you from memory. Bear in mind that I'm about 11,000 miles away from the car at the moment. The send and return for the heater come from the front passenger side of the block. They connect to two big elongated nuts 27mm(I think) with hole connections at the side that protrudes from the block. Theres a small ballanceing pipe between the two. These run along the passengers side of the engine bay and enter through the bulkhead. The top pipe has a tap to regulate the hot water flow. Mayby somebody can send you an engine bay picture for a better idea.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Fri, 25 June 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a pic of my RA23 engine bay; the engine is an 18R-GEU but your 18R-C should be similar. Notice the two big black hoses going from either side of the exhaust manifold to the firewall; that's the heater circuit.

http://www.norbie.net/Celica/RA23_eng_l.jpg
roach
Newcomer

June 2004
Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Sat, 26 June 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys. I spent a few hours attempting to get the heater core out yesterday but then realised more dash than I expected needed to be removed. Ran out of daylight, so will try again today.

The pics and explanations are great help. Cheers!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Sat, 26 June 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought doing a heater core on an ra40 was the worst job ever till i got an MA70... thank fuck it wasnt the core on the supra!
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Sat, 26 June 2004 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, from memory when you want to get at the heater core, you have to remove most of the dash and get the whole airbox out. Not something that you want to do too often. But look on the bright side at least you'll be a lot quicker the next time.
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Fri, 02 July 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I need to do this on my RA23 this weekend for the first time,..

I am not looking forward to it, but driving to work with white knuckles and a fogged up window is just not fun anymore...

So can anyone tell me how long this will actually take?, I don't want to waste my entire Saturday... is this a 2-4 hour job?
or 5-8 hour job?

are there any shortcuts I can take?? Smile
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Fri, 02 July 2004 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It depends on how familiar you are with the car. Stripping the dash for the first time always takes the longest after you learn where things go you'll be faster. FOr myself i'd start early in the morning and hopefully be finished in three hours with everything going right. But one little bolt could hold you up half an hour, its always the way. Have you checked the heater core because if your stripping it out you need to have a replacement one to put in if you need to drive the car for work. I'd connect it up and let it build pressure to see if it leaks and were I stood before stripping it out.
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: RA40 Heater Core Hose Connections Mon, 05 July 2004 05:04 Go to previous message
All done,

I had it out in about 1 1/2 hours, and the I spent the rest of the day detailing everything i.e cleaning up all the wiring, tightening everything up, cleaning all parts, replaced all dash light bulbs,.... etc etc

I did test the old one, and it leaked pretty badly, I couldn't find a new one so I had the old one re cored for $145 with a 3 year warranty, so now I have a warm clean car Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 05:11]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Aftermarket Seats
Next Topic:Hiace Workshop Manual/ Engine upgrade?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 1 12:18:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057530403137207 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.