Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Multimeter anybody?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Multimeter anybody? Fri, 25 June 2004 02:19 Go to next message
HI, I was wondering if anybody has tested their cold start ballist resistor function recently. To the best of my knowledge, when you turn the key in an RA40, you bypass the ballist resistor and the coil gets a full 12 volt current from the starting motor. Has anybody tested their coil with a multimeter and noticed a rise in current? If so, do you know where the connection between the starter and the coil input is? I am trying to make up for the previous owners half assed improvements (We've all been there). Thanks for your help.
  Send a private message to this user    
tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: Multimeter anybody? Fri, 25 June 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. there is no such thing as a 12 volt 'current'. current and voltage are different entities.

2. there is no connection between your starter motor and your coil.

3. you cannot possibly notice a rise in current with your multi meter. Think Voltage-voltage voltage!

4. yes you will get a rise in voltage, that is what a coil is designed to do, take 12-14 Volts and build it up to very high voltage (low current).

I have nerver heard of any ballast resistor in an ignition system (not to say it doesn't exist).

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Multimeter anybody? Fri, 25 June 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Older ignition systems commonly had ballast resistors; the idea was to run the coil off ~8v most of the time, but while cranking the resistor is bypassed, thus increasing the strength of the spark as the coil is getting the full 12v (which of course is multiplied to thousands of volts). If you buy an ignition coil from Repco et al you'll notice that some are designed for use with a ballast resistor, and some without.

As for the original question, there should be two separate power feeds for the ignition coil. One circuit is live when the ignition switch is in the "on" position and this goes through the ballast resistor; the other circuit is live when the ignition switch is in the "start" position (ie when cranking) and this bypasses the ballast resistor.

If you can get your hands on a circuit diagram for your car (or pretty much any Toyota from the era) it should be pretty obvious what's going on.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Multimeter anybody? Fri, 25 June 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haynes manuals sometimes have a wiring diagram, as well as a wiring map, which gives locations and connectors of some things

or you could try having a look in the factory manuals for your car at your local toyota dealer service, if you ask nicely they often let you take photocopies too

my ballast resistor sufficiently annoyed me to remove it, and fit a coil "for use without ballast resistor". to my understanding, these coils just have an internal resistance
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Multimeter anybody? Fri, 25 June 2004 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys,
I'll have to have a look through the circuit diagram. I'm not an automotive electrician by any twist of the imagination so I reckon that I ment voltage instead of current. Thanks for the reply though.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Multimeter anybody? Sat, 26 June 2004 00:06 Go to previous message
In answer to tripmcneily's 1-4,I have to say

I'm not a Gynecologist but i'll take a good look!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE71 - AE86 DIFFERENCE
Next Topic:Timing Chain stuffed - no, it's all good now.....or is it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:59:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048441886901855 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.