Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
what colour design ? *poll* Sat, 26 June 2004 02:10 Go to next message
I would like some opinions of what people think would look good. I have two pics, one is wastegate's old car and the other is hedgehog sandwich's car. (Hope he doesn't mind me copying if I do as he is in another country Smile) Just look at the designs but the different colours would be yellow.

Here is a pic of my current engine bay (before it was pulled apart Smile) I don't have a heat shield anymore.

http://mk29.image.pbase.com/u39/bassaholic55/large/25404898.Registered001.jpg

Design 1: Wastegate's car. Same as this except I can only polish the pipes on the left, not the inlet plenum. And I don't have shiny intercooler pipes. Was going to repaint them black though.

http://www.jzgte.com/~nickc/albums/MySupra/Imgp2715.sized.jpg

Design 2: Hedgehog Sandwich's car. very similar to this except I have fan on other side and no shroud.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=1365233

What do you think?

[Updated on: Mon, 28 June 2004 00:30]

Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Which design?[ 11 vote(s) ]
1.Design 1 5 / 45%
2.Design 2 5 / 45%
3.Other (please specify) 1 / 9%

No Message Body

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thoroughly dislike colour matched designs...
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sat, 26 June 2004 13:06

you don't like any colour at all? I think that mine looks like crap compared to the other 2!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black is great on engines that have done a hard 120,000+ km

then you head off the hi-way at speed to add some dirt for hi-lighting

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma70supra/postoffroadadventureebay.jpg

grrrrrr
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sat, 26 June 2004 13:06

why, surely u dont hink the way it came out of the factory is cool

hey chis, chequer plate spark plug cover Very Happy Confused

i was thinking of painting my block, what colour u reckon
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed you dont mind if i paint my block and my g series diff (its rusty as fuck) yellow do ya? Dont want to be plageurising your style here...
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking of yellow too, same colour as my tappet cover
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my cam covers are gonna be pretty much the same as the blue one .. probably not AS pretty though
chris, with yours id probably go sorta the same as the red one(but yellow) considering your set up and the fin parts a nice black

[Updated on: Sat, 26 June 2004 11:51]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt say 'no colour' i said 'colour matched'

i think using one colour ad-nauseum is completely style-less. imho its just looks shit, and i wouldve preferred the functional black and alloy from factory until i worked out a proper colour scheme *puts flame suit on*

it takes quite a bit of skill to assemble a proper colour scheme and design an attractive spatial layout of colour... thats why graphic deisgn artists have jobs.

im not saying i could do any better, but i know what i do and dont like - and colour matched crap aint it

(ed flips through mid 90's motorcycle part catlogues and thanks christ the 'every bolt and alloy part must be anodised red' phase has passed)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and as for using yellow? nah, its not a copyrighted design dude, go ahead, like i care!

though i think each engine i build now will bare the same signature yellow for posterity Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: what colour engine ? Sat, 26 June 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed, man i have to agree...i the 1jzs look terrible when they are fully dressed up with one colour or mixed blotches...

You were lucky you pulled off a mad assed colour scheme for the 7m..it looks MO.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Mon, 28 June 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Mon, 28 June 2004 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no more votes?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Mon, 28 June 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris.. im starting mine today.. gonna polish all the pipes and make the timing belt cover and the grill a dark blue.. and cam covers a gunmetal colour
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Mon, 28 June 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aren't the cam covers already a greyish colour?

good luck on the polishing. I have been going for about 4 hours and i have nearly done one pipe Shocked
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Tue, 29 June 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well ive been going for about half the day.. polished all the pipes(ill polish them more soon though) and did some painting and tidying up
went from this
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/1jzb.jpg
to this today
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/baynow.jpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/baynow2.jpg
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Tue, 29 June 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you removed all those pipes and did the polishing in half a day? that is pretty good time Smile

Yeah, I have the front turbo outlet pipe looking the same as yours but my turbo inlet pipe is closer in shine to the top ones. I am in no rush, I just want it to look good. After pulling all this stuff off, I needed to see some difference Smile

BTW looks good and what sort of polisher are you using? bench grinder or drill? what sort of "spinny thing"? (technical term) Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Tue, 29 June 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hand polished lol
and nah.. i did it while it was still on the car.. my step dad has all the polishing stuff in his work car i think so ill use it tomorrow
im not taking it all off
im using autosol metal polish
how are u going about getting all the bumps out?.. i didnt really bother.. just a quick sand.
i was thinking about using a drill with brass brush end or something.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Tue, 29 June 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of the pipes I have off, I think there are only a couple of bits sticking out and I am just going over and over on them. If they smooth out then it is good and if it doesn't then it they arereally shiny bumps.

I got a polishing bit that goes on the drill but the cordless drill I was using wasn't fast enough so have to use the electric one. After it is looking really shiny, I will clean it with metho and then hit it with some autosol.

later
chris
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Tue, 29 June 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah, I spent about an hour sanding them all before I started using the machine and it doesn't do too much hey Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Tue, 29 June 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the polishing bit made out of?.. i might give one a shot tomorrow?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Tue, 29 June 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it could be called stitched metal or something like that. I will check when i get home for you.

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Tue, 29 June 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet thanks.. all mine is sorta shiny.. but still bumpy.. i wanna get it down to be a nice finish
it looks decent now.. but can always get better...
i got a whole day off tomorrow aswell so ill just keep going at it then
a marked improvement though
and when i can be bothered im taking cam covers back to bare metal and polishing them to a reflective finish
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Tue, 29 June 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is my first polished pipe Smile nearly finished, just a couple of little bits to do.

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL605/2355202/4634310/58385423.jpg
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its still too bumpy to get a really nice finish Sad
whats that thing you used to shine them up?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is too bumpy?

I am sorry but I have already thrown the packet out Rolling Eyes
Just go to a tool shop and ask them. Just say you want to polish some aluminium and they will know. You need some cutting compound as well.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay..thats it.. im done for now
polished pipes some more.. painted the bit over top of radiator and a few small things as well as just more cleaning and hid the boost gauge line
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/bay/bay5.jpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/bay/bay3.jpg
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where is the shroud for your fan? that is huge! hehe
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That looks pritty good Jag. Nice blue. Although your colour scheme seems to be white, blue, chrome, balck and red. Probably one too many colours in there, but it's not my engine (I wish it was though, mmmm 1JZ).

Just wondering, how do the guys in the top pics get their intake/exhaust pipes so shiny? Do they just polish it for days on end or do they spray them with a chrome paint or something?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant help the colours..
id replace the red with blue.. but they are too expensive to worry about it!
sif fan shroud.. its getting fucked off in favour of some thermo's soon
and white and black dont really count as part of the colour scheme..
and the pipes are just shiney alloy.. no-where near chrome hehe
it looks better than it does.. so thats all that matters
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i too would love to know how they get the pipes so shiny. Wastegate told me it took him about 12 hours all up for all those bits.

I have spent about 5 on that one pipe and it still doesn't look as good as his??? care to share the secrets?? Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its simple.. his were all PERECTLY flat before he started
as soon as its bumpy.. its alot gayer to polish
sand them till they are FLAT and they will be easy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you would start with a rough sand paper to get it a bit thinner and then get smoother ones as you go. Can you get some sort of machine that sands but can do little bits at a time?

what sort of paint did you use on the timing belt cover and coil pack cover?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get some silicon spray on the hoses

Allan
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Wed, 30 June 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats silicone spray do?
and chris.. i just washed them with degreaser and then washed them normally... hit them with some 1200 wet and dry and got it all.. then washed that off..
2 layers of primer and then 3-4 of the blue
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Thu, 01 July 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 09:57

whats silicone spray do?
and chris.. i just washed them with degreaser and then washed them normally... hit them with some 1200 wet and dry and got it all.. then washed that off..
2 layers of primer and then 3-4 of the blue

Similar shit to WD40, but it makes it shiny. if you want them really shiny then use a alloy wheel polish
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what colour design ? *poll* Thu, 01 July 2004 12:04 Go to previous message
im just using autosol metal polish
reckon something else would be better?

[Updated on: Thu, 01 July 2004 12:06]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ideas of how to transport a body with no drivetrain
Next Topic:A Lesson Learned