Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
ke55 poor fuel economy help Sat, 26 June 2004 14:18 Go to next message
ok well ive had everthing done, replaced all my plugs and leads my points where almost closed up my got a mechanic to fix it, then he adjusted the timing casue it was way off, brand new fuel filter put a can of carby cleaner thru the carby, and ran a tank of petrol treatment thru the car, im running it on BP Premium as its alot smoother than unleaded but im still only managing to get about 400km to a tank (being a 1.3L with no modifications i thought it would be a little more distance out of the tank) apparently the tanks rated at 36L but i always put about 40L when i fill it up ???? sometimes i can only get 300kms out of a tank and the tank goes to half empty after 100km. the only thing i havent replaced yet is the air filter, and i think one of the gaskets have gone on the fuel pump and its leaking a little bit of oil around there, could that be the problem? well id really like a bit of advise as this problem is a pain in the ass! the car runs really smoothly even when cold (although tends to stall when cold and the choke is on, but if its cold and i start it with the choke on then release the choke the car wont stall, but if i try to drive it without the choke it stalls, but runs fine with the choke - ok i know ive confused some of u but hey)

oh yea and the engine is a 4k out of an '82 ke70

thanks alot guys

[Updated on: Sat, 26 June 2004 14:21]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke55 poor fuel economy help Sat, 26 June 2004 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first of all, if it stalls when cold without the choke.. thats a good sign Wink
i find with my 4K that it needs more fuel when cold (as do mosty engines) and if it is fine when warm, and stalls when cold without choke, then idle and low speed mixtures are roughly ok.

points at 0.4mm, about 12-15deg advance without vacuum advance.
air filter will cause mor efuel to be drawn in, so replace that if you can. i found even with stocko 4K, changing from the stock air cleaner housing to just having a top and bottom plate on the stock paper filter helped quite a lot with highway running, and got a bit more economy out of it.. made it a shiteload more noisy tho Wink

any fuel leaks, whether they are from carby or fuel pump, will add to fuel consumption. is the oil level increasing, indicating fuel going thru the fuel pump diaphragm into the oil? (had this happen before)

it really depends on what type of driving you do.. if it is ONLY highway at around 100, you could get under 10L/100kms, but if it is only city, it could be up to 13-15L/100kms..
with my mods, and a shitty rich mixture, i get maybe 15-17L/100kms.. this is terrible, but there are lights every 50m, and it takes 30mins to go 4 or 5 km's Wink

if you are getting 300k's from a tank and it goes quickly down to half, i'd say it is a sender/gauge issue... as long as you get a decent reading when it is near empty, don't worry much..

you could try to lean out the idle mixture a bit, as that greatly affects running at low throttle (ie highway and most driving)... if you lean it and you lose power at highway speeds (when it is most noticable), then richen a little.

the other thing is to drive nice Wink i find it hard to do, but i can improve my highway running to 8L/100kms (@4500rpm), and try not to carry around excess weight..

now that i think about, the KE70's have the low profile air filter? something like a ramflo foam piece of crap will reduce restriction, but make noise.. ideally, you could use a carb bonnet from one of the vans with 5K's, and have a filter elsewhere (VN airbox with cold air ducting?)

anyhoo, see how you go Smile

Cya, Stewart
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 poor fuel economy help Sun, 27 June 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no the car stalls when i try to drive it without the choke BUT when its idling with the choke when i first start it it stalls. oh and im only runing a 4 speed manual which makes highway driving a pain in the ass.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: ke55 poor fuel economy help Thu, 01 July 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5k carby bonnet will make a corolla go like shit, no low down throttle response and restrictive top end, they're a van thing

you sure that's an oil leak around the fuel pump? not fuel leaking out?

i found the best device for getting fuel economy out of my motor is a vacuum gauge, it helps you see what sort of conditions your foot is putting the engine under and you can modify your driving to suit

if you're doing alot of city driving, then yes your fuel economy will suck. the accelerator pump can use a fair bit of fuel when it wants to, such is the life of driving a carburetted car

from memory the fuel tank in a ke55 is 45 or 46L

on the highway i get just under 10L/100km. if i really want to i can use a whole tank of fuel in a few hours. depends how you drive
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 poor fuel economy help Thu, 01 July 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea its definatly oil casue i checked it again today after i cleaned it and theres more there again. a new fuel pumpp is gona cost $105 which is about as much as i can pick up a 4k entire engine for! so i dont really think theres much worth in doing that so yeah. i dont think the fuel pumps shot neway. im getting around 10L/100kms with local driving, but i thought they would use less petrol than this? my fuel sender is gone too cause after 100kms its goes to half a tank on the gauge but sits there for another 100 and doesnt move its really strange but hey.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: ke55 poor fuel economy help Thu, 01 July 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the leak is from the pump body itself, then you're leaking fuel. a rebuild kit is usually $80-$90, or you can get a whole pump from the wreckers for $20-$30

if it's the gasket in between the pump and the spacer, or the spacer and the block, i have a printable one stored in the Files section of the Oldcorollas yahoo group, send a request to join and you can download the file and swap the gasket

as i said, it depends on how you drive, what i consider "normal" driving is actually quite lead-footed. it's very very easy to put a carburettor into inefficient vacuum conditions, which is when a vacuum gauge comes in useful. pumping of the accelerator pedal (such as during town driving) actuates the accelerator pump, which squirts extra fuel down the carb too

if you're willing to put up with slug-like acceleration as your EASE the throttle on out of intersections, you can definately get good economy out of a corolla. i managed to get about 7L/100km out of my last engine, but that's a 3K in a ke25, a 4k in a ke70 is more capacity and more weight to throw around, i'll admit that 3k didn't go as efficiently in the ke35 i owned before this car

try rebuilding the carburettor, and making sure all your vacuum crap is hooked up the correct way and working. i intend to sit down with a 4k-c carburettor soon (within the next couple of months anyway) and do a big writeup of how to remove the emissions crap for ideal performance, so keep an eye on the faq
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 poor fuel economy help Fri, 02 July 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah me and my mechainc have put it down to being the carby so im gona pick one up from the wreckers and see how it goes.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: ke55 poor fuel economy help Mon, 05 July 2004 06:02 Go to previous message
i'd be inclined to rebuild your current carburettor, most ones that are in the wreckers have been sitting for a while and are starting to corrode (white powder on aluminium) or just have crap in them anyway

nardek.com.au sell carby kits for K motors, part number 90-6, the last pair i bought were under $60 each. the ke20/30 gregories (book 112a) has a really good howto on rebuilding carbs
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Denso Nippon Iridiums Vs. NGK Iridiums
Next Topic:Aftermarket Seats
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 21:23:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046689510345459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.