Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What tyres do u guys run?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 01:24 Go to next message
Went and got a quote today for some new rubber - Bridgstone Potenza G3's. 580 fitted including alignment etc. Now this is a reasonable price at $132bux a tyre fitted.What i want to know is how long on average do these tyres last? i know they're great tyres and are a duel compound etc, but will they run down quickly (i dont do wheel spins) Are there any other brands or types that u recommend for an st162? ATM im running yokohamas which ive been quite happy with actually. Oh and im on stock 14*5.5 or whatever.

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just bought my second set of Falken Azenis ST115s.. Needless to say I was damn happy with them or else I wouldn't have bought another set of the same.

They pretty much needed replacement between around 12-18 months, but I managed to make them last till the end of the second year. No burnouts or anything, but a fair bit of hard acceleration/cornering/braking in that time.

I've found the grip to be exceptional, however having said that, if I was to change to something else I might like that better still..

Quoted $145 each (for 195/50/15) although the guy stuffed up and only charged me $120 each hehehe
Ozzie
Regular

December 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bridgestone RE88. Pretty good for $95/ea Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought some Silverstones on wiso's recommendation and have been very very happy

I like them better than my old falkens
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bridgestones are ok, just make sure you get upper price bracket ones, but otherwise one word

YOKOHAMA, get some a539's i got quoted $129 incl fitting balance etc and if you arent impressed with them get slicks lol

they last well too, but depending on how u drive some re92 ( bridgy ) will be fine
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stuC: i'm looking at getting GIII's aswell for my 14" rims, but i am also after other opinons.i was told to go for a yogi a539's too..but wouldn't the GIII's be a better performing tyre??for hard cornering and braking/and wet.. Confused
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got Bridgestone Potenza RE711's in 205/60R15. They've been discontinued now, but the G3's are supposed to be their replacement.

If they are anything like the RE711's (which according to my mate with the exact same size G3's on a Silvia they are), they'll be grippy as hell, awesome in the wet, and if mine are anything to go by, last about 40k kms.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what i wanna hear! Very Happy i reckon the thread pattern looks cool too. Razz
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
front > yokohama A539 185 x 55 x 14
back > bridgestone grid 2 185 x 60 x 14
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bridgestone Eagers:- 245/55/14's on the front and 265s on the rears
Nice and grippy(that may be the tyre size and not the tyre though Razz), not too bad in the wet, have had them for about 50000km's and still have about 40% tread, maybe more. I dont know HOW i've managed this as i tend to corner hard and fast and occasionally get a bit sideways.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use brigestone grid 3's

ive been happy with them, obviously a softer compound will grip better but these are still good and lasted for ages. including 2 trips to the track
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Potenza RE540S in 225/45/17

Unreal tyres - cant beleive they are street legal.

Sticky as anything - and wear well too.

But $$$$
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAd yokohamas - though they were pretty shot when i got the car - now on Goodyear Eagle F1 gs-2's and so far im having very good run out of them ..

The traction on the Gt4 is already awesome but multiplied - especially in the wet with these tyres ..

it just doesnt slip !
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fronts: 195/60/14 Potenza GIII
Rears: Whatever I finds, I keeps.

The potenzas have performed quite well. Nice grip in all conditions and saved me from a few sticky situations. Lasted pretty well considering the abuse they cop (although the edges are chewed out) and for 130 bucks fitted not too pricey.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got 205/60/16 Bridgestone Potenza GIII's on the front, great tyres had them all around on my old TA23. At the moment I've got 205/60/16 Falken Azenis on the back, which as they wear out will be cahnged to the GIII's, damn fine tyre, they also have nice rim protector to protect your rims. Handle good wet & dry. At that size though, tad more expensive....$245 a piece...
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like I'm on the poverty pack end.

I just got fitted for $89 each 4 x dunlop grand prix.

I got them on mucho special with them normally being something like ~$115 each. Smile
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx for ur input guys - by the sound of things the G3s arent a bad buy - i especially like that they're good in the wet. Looks like il probs be gettin a set of these. Thanx again
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 10 May 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got 235/45/rz17 Dunlop FM901's on my soarer... bloody awesome tire, grippy as hell... sturdy, they also have a rim proptecter rib to ..... protect your rims..
cost me like 250 each including fitting I think.
Great buy Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Tue, 11 May 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 20:28

I've got 205/60/16 Bridgestone Potenza GIII's on the front, great tyres had them all around on my old TA23. At the moment I've got 205/60/16 Falken Azenis on the back, which as they wear out will be cahnged to the GIII's, damn fine tyre, they also have nice rim protector to protect your rims. Handle good wet & dry. At that size though, tad more expensive....$245 a piece...

Damn, that size must just suck. The last quote I got for them in 225/50R16 was only $215 fitted and balanced.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Tue, 11 May 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run cheapies "Firenza" - $165 each (215 45 17). They are not bad. Wear well and are pretty grippy. Not teriffic in the wet though but still more than adequate. Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 00:56]

ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Tue, 11 May 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have Yokahama, have lasted ages and seem to grip well
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Tue, 11 May 2004 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bridgesonte RE711s 195/60/R14 on all four paws...about to go onto GIII 205/50/R15 when I grab 15" mags.

RE711s -> Sidewall seems a bit soft and squirms on transition, but performs pretty darn well in the wet (especially given it has no circumferential groove from what I can remember). Really nice tyre and pretty good price, for better performance you have to pay $100 more per tyre.

With tyres you get what you pay for generally, if you want cheap performance, get a cheap tyre, if you want good performance, don't pay less than $150 per corner (RRP)
mikeyc
Newcomer

March 2004
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Wed, 12 May 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have tried the good-year egal f1's and i was very impresed with them in the wet but prob not wothe the extra cash. i like simex.they are an import brand that are very cheap. $89.00 each for 195/50/15. they are a soft compound which are great in the dry and less than grippy in the wet. this was exactly what i wanted. have fitted these on a aw11 mr2 and a AWD famillia turbo.
now i have k-mart $50 specials om my ke carolla. plenty of tire for the power Rolling Eyes

mike
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Fri, 14 May 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyo RA1 205/55R14. Practically all that is going in that size. $225ea and probably won't last long. If the cost/benefit ratio doesn't stack up I'll try Sumitomo HTR200 205/60R14 next time.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sat, 15 May 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im running the goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 on the celica grip fantasticly. life is a bit average though.. i got only 14,000km out of the last set with no burnouts
ive repleaced them with the same again and am very happy.. not cheap though around 200bucks for a 215/40/zr17

thrown a set of yokohama a539'n on the mr2 as goodyear no longer make the 165/60/14 for it in gs-d2. i dont think the a539's are quite as sticky as the gs-d2. still a great tyre though.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sun, 16 May 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i run GT radials Champiro HPZ 205/50ZR15 and they are fucking great. i haven't got they lose yet, even in wet (can spin them in wet) but not yet side ways in wet, and i usally try to push that to see the limit but at same time push my luck, lol. Had Gs-D2's (185/60R14) on front only but did get they loose on a 3 nerly 4 wheel drift in wet, and this on the mountain roads were i live.

The gt radials have a lifetimes garanty and cost me $142 each fitted balance.

Nezza Cool
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Fri, 18 June 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k was told today by a tyre guy at beaurepairs that the G3s are a great tyre but go hard really quickly, anyone hear of this?I know he could just be tryin to sell me some other trye but yeah. And anyone hear much about the Dunlop sport3000A(210 fitted for 15s)?THey're stock on xr6,turbo and xr8 - i reckon they were pretty grippy when i took a turbo ute for a spin but anyone else now of these - looks like its a toss-up between g3's,a539s or the dunlops. Shit....
Cheers guys
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Fri, 18 June 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would they go hard really quickly? From what I gather they are an evolution of the RE711. And if that's anything to go by, they ain't going to go hard any time soon, mine are still soft as shit.
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sun, 20 June 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to answer the question, and contribute nothing to discussion.. Avon acb10s. Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sun, 20 June 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
squal - the sumitomos have amazing grip - I definitly recommend them!
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Fri, 25 June 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyo proxes t1-s are great, mcuh grippier than azenis
Serran
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sat, 26 June 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
falken fk451's 235/35/19 $300 a corner

although i dont take my ride on track.. they suffice more than enough for me with the car's cornering ability.

nanking have an equivalent 35/19 but have read 90% disapproval rate on another forum dedicated to lex's.

even though 19's aren't cheap.. any other price comparisons for these sets of tyres in syd?
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sat, 26 June 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had my Goodyear eagle F1's on the front of my FWD sillycar for over a year, and done 45,000+km. 30% tread left, after daily hard cornering, and launching at pretty-much every traffic light I stop at. juvenille though I may be, The tyres have stood up really well. They looked llike they'd been shelved for a fair while when they were fitted, as there were some small cracks on the edges of some of the tread blocks and they were fairly hard. They're pretty decent value at $145 each in 195/60/R14. ACE in the wet, plenty of braking grip wet or dry.

That said, you seem to have your heart set on the G3's, don't think I've driven on those at work. The S-03's are awesome, but they'd wanna be for the outrageous price!!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sat, 26 June 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was gonna get s03's but decided on fm901's and am glad i went with mine
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sun, 27 June 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 20 June 2004 19:42

I have them on the MA70 is it just my supra or are thay crap in the wet? (good in the dry) (thay are cheap only set me back $430/set fitted)
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sun, 27 June 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 20 June 2004 19:42

Good o hear; probably try them. What size do you use? How's the tread life? What car?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Sun, 27 June 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i run Michelin MXF Sport, grip well and look good.
used to use Khumo Ectas (before they where silicone compound).
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Mon, 28 June 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Sat, 26 June 2004 11:30

I've had my Goodyear eagle F1's on the front of my FWD sillycar for over a year, and done 45,000+km.

i have no idea how ppl get that sort of life out of the F1's i had my last set for 14,000km in a 215/40/17. nice and sticky but soft as.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Tue, 29 June 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had Eagle F1's at the front and GTRadial Champiro's at the back. I thought that the GT's were not so crash hot. I thought they look crap and certainly didn't grip as much as I would have liked. They were shit in the wet and when combined with the F1's up front it was not fun...
I now have Yokohama A539's ($139.70 each. fit&bal) at the rear and when the front's go I'll put the Yokies at the front too.

The Yokies also look sweet as!

Ben
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Tue, 29 June 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran Bridgestone S03's on the Supra.

Before those I had Azenis ST115.
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Tue, 29 June 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got the Dunlop sp3000A on the front of the Supra in 235/45/17 and they're pretty good. They're definitely better than the shit Kumho Ecsta's on the back which I wouldn't piss on.
Rich
davatron
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Wed, 30 June 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm running yokohama ES100's front and rear at the moment. ($185/tyre)
They're incredible, thing handles like a slot car. Makes sliding tricky/expensive though Rolling Eyes
dave.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Wed, 30 June 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got cheapie bfgoodrich's on the back and Trampio Gu:wn's by Toyo on the front. 205x50x15
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Wed, 30 June 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
black rubber ones... 4 of them, and a spare.

Falken something or others... not sure but they seem to give good traction, im not sure how they work under hard cornering as they just hit the guards
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Wed, 30 June 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bridgestone GIII's are pretty sweet
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What tyres do u guys run? Wed, 30 June 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like I am the only person with Simex's Embarassed

cant remember what size on the front
back: 225/60/15's. From the limited driving I have done they have worked pretty well Smile I got them as I heard of a fella with an r33 gts-t raving about them. Was running low 13's with minimal mods and a 60foot time compared to other cars with more mods etc.

will eventually get to test them out when my luck turns and I can drive to the track Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: What tyres do u guys run? Wed, 30 June 2004 23:55 Go to previous message
your car is cursed.. i think next time you have to drive to willowbank and make sure u dont EVER turn the car off lol
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Front mirrors?
Next Topic:[AE86] The 2004 Tokyo Custom Carage AE86 Festival!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:54:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11063194274902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.