Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:22 Go to next message
Hye all,

I am looking into instaling the HEi kit into my AE71.. with thge 4A-C, anyone had any luck with this kit? I am fairly good with electronics so putting it together isnt a problem..

Does it do away with me Distributor??..

Thanks in advance,

-Shaun.
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope.. this kit is add on only
it basically increases the spark duration to something like 0.9s

from what im told anyway (i wrok at gaycar)
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They work well and are easy to build! They dont completely do away with the distributor it is still used to tell the HEI when to fire the spark plugs. It is mainly used when your points keep failing!
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK... sooo it doesnt really do crap?..

Or does it reduce the load on the distributor.. and therefore... increse its lifetime.. what about how often I have to set it..

Oh yeah.. are you goys waiting here for me to write.. freakin hell that was quick..
-Cheers

Shaun.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Once you fit the HEI you will never have to change the distributor/points! The HEI kit is basicly a distributor on its own and it uses your standard distributor for the timing!

It also prevent any enegy lose between the coil and the plugs! Tis really why it is called what it is called!

[Updated on: Tue, 17 September 2002 06:35]

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah mate you will just find that the most of us have nothing better to do but cruise the forum all day long Razz

check out this thread
http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/msg.php?th=3783 &start=0&rid=844&S=ea619abfa0923b6320b 1592168b13204
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah huh! Exxxxcceeelleenntt..

Thats what I want.. hmm so it takes the signal off the distributor.. and distributes it, itself.. Yeah I thought it was goign to do something like that.. but when I read about it, it seems pretty useless..

But now I know more.. kewlies.. and what about that ummm timing thing.. hmm programmable something?.. Tried that?

-Shaun.
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh well that other thread prety much explains everything.. thanks for that..

I knew I had read about it on another forum.. but with Melbccr, toymods, CAA, Club 4AG and twincam 16, I get all mixed up..

Thanks

-Shaun
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't bother with the programmable thing! Just get your car tuned correctly and thats that Cool
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not sure that jaycar has a programmable timing kit (but i havent checked for ages, and i dont build our kits)... i know there is a few air/fuel mixture kits.....
yes cool1 is right... i checked it out today. They are very useful when you have dodgy timing, points, misfiring etc etc. Reduces the heavy power load on the distributor so that it can last a lot longer (poss not forever, but ages mroe)

If there's any other jaycar stuff you want, see my thread in "Parts for Sale", but i dont know if i can do kits
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: Jaycar HEI Tue, 17 September 2002 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I dont think Id bother with the programable thing..

Ahh I live in melb.. and I doubt it'd be worth me getting you to send it to me. especially when I live 10 mins drive away
*shrugs*

Actually my timing isnt too bad.. but somethign in 4-AC's seems to burn out points quickly, my local auto-elec has no idea.. and I cant really be bothered messing around with the car for ages.. so I will just get this kit soon and make it up. I will tell you all how it goes..

Oh yeah one more thing.. Does anyone know how much a waterpump for a 4AC is?.. Mine is leaking like a biiach!

-Shaun.
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Wed, 18 September 2002 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you just want a transistorised ignition, ie, no points, grab the dizzy and coil and ignitor off a ae82 with the 4ac. I pretty sure that most of them come with a solid state ignition.

Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Wed, 18 September 2002 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope i have an ae82 with the 4ac and its stil got points
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Jaycar HEI Wed, 18 September 2002 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The HEI kit takes load off the points, reducing arcing and echoing and shit like that, it provides (somewhat) more reliable ignition that a standard unit and allows the ignition coil more time to charge. Basically providing a better spark at higher revs, and reducing the load on the points and putting it on a more reliable transistor.

Programmable ignition kit wise, I'm not so sure it's worth it, maybe if you spend a gazillion years tuning it, it might help, but I'd leave the standard mechanical vacuum advance mechanisms on, the on/off vacuum advance of the programmable kit blows chunks.

Centripetal force doesn't always map the advance out accurately, there are alot of impulse forces in an engine, so in some ways the programmable kit is preferable in that respect.

It's only 60 bucks plus the time to put it in, so if you've got both of those to waste you can always try it and/or scrap it.
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh thanks.. Yeah I wont bother with the programable crap..

it usually takes me about 15 mins to tune the sucker.. once every month or so... so I am not too fussed.. and I want to get some electronic ignition happening. hehe

-Shaun.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got the kit today and only took an hour to build but i suggest you take your time if you are not used to building such kits as there is many different ways you can build it depending on what tye of ignition system your car has, hopefully i'll have it in the car this afternoon and let you all know how it goes Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how lazy am i.. i work at jaycar and i still havent even got one... Rolling Eyes
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a question guys, Rolling Eyes

you have a wire which connects the coil to the points,
and on this kit you have a wire which you also have to connect up to the points, now do i just add it on so it then has ie, two wires connected or get rid of the other one and just have the kit's wire connected to the points and make it run completly through the kit?

so question is, do i have both wires connected to the points, one from coil one from kit or just the one from the kit?
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm an hour huh?.. HGmm that seems pretty reasonable

It'll take me like about 2 am the min.. heh I am pretty slow..

Tell us how it goes.

Smile
Shaun.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E wrote on Thu, 19 September 2002 13:54

Just a question guys, Rolling Eyes

you have a wire which connects the coil to the points,
and on this kit you have a wire which you also have to connect up to the points, now do i just add it on so it then has ie, two wires connected or get rid of the other one and just have the kit's wire connected to the points and make it run completly through the kit?

so question is, do i have both wires connected to the points, one from coil one from kit or just the one from the kit?

Thats gotta be in the instructions. You cant have read em too well Razz

The wire from the points to the coil wont be used anymore.
A wire will go from the points to the HEI and then another wire from the HEI to the coil.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well went to hook it all up and doesn't work, when you connect the wire to the negative side of the coil it just shorts the engine and turns it off,

got the shits with it at the moment so might have another go tomorrow, one of the components is busted i reckon its the Q1 transistor, all i can say is it better start working or i'm going at it with a hammer Evil or Very Mad
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dumbass!!!
you can always email silicon chip if you have major problems... they are generally pretty good.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i'm subscribed to silli chip and they were very good once but tend to take ages to reply, anyway i couldn't help myself and pulled it all out again tested Q1 transistor and yup its rooted, so tomorrow i'll be making a trip out to maquarie dicksmith power house and get myself another transistor and all should be good, also got the rev limiter cranking again today Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy god i love the sound of it bouncing off the limiter Evil or Very Mad
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF are you doing?
Have you really read the installation instructions??

It sounds like your trying to hook up the HEI unit while the points->coil wire is still connected.

No wonder the output tranny got fried.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Thu, 19 September 2002 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i read the instructions and it says nothing except in one diagram it says where the wires should be connected, pretty much the only thing it says in the instructions is how to tune it by shorting out the ballast resistor now i can think of many ways to short it out but don't know which one i should do, and a whole page of the instructions just talks about converting your points to a hall effect sensor,

also how could it stuff the transistor if you left the wire from the coil to the points on? that would cause most of the power to just run straight from the coil to the points rather then running through the ignition kit,

so by having that wire still connected it would have meant there was less load placed on the ignition kit then if it was the only one connected. and don't say it could have been cause by back emf as there is that many fat diodes in it thats just not possible,

the problem with it is that when i took the transistor out to do a resistence check you touch one lead to the heat sink plate of the transistor and then touch the middle lead "yep power runs through" thats good, touch it to the left lead "power runs through, thats BAD" then touch it to the right lead "power runs through BAD again" thats why it was shorting the coil out when it was connected, i've only ever had faults products whenever i bought kits from dick smith never had a jay car one F**K out on me before, i just hope its one of those one in a million things.
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: Jaycar HEI Fri, 20 September 2002 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm that doesnt sound too good..

Hmm I think that connecting them would do some danage. But I am not going to get into an argument over it. Hope you get it all working..

I think that Hall effect sensor measures magnetic flux change (?) and on the gaycar site, it says that it will do away with points totally.. hmm that'd be good...

-Shaun.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Jaycar HEI Fri, 20 September 2002 06:40 Go to previous message
yeah it explains how to remove your points and install a hall effect sensor,

well they didn't have the bit in stock but have odered it and i should get it sometime next week Crying or Very Sad but i'm not dissapointed as i got the rev limiter kit working again and also car has gone back to the power out put when i first got it tunned, as they replaced the points when they tunned it and yesterday hen i touched the wire connected to he points it just fell out Rolling Eyes so did that up properley so its making a good connection and no more missings at high revs Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Seeking 3TG pistons
Next Topic:Shock position?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 10:34:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062081813812256 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.