Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Which gen 1g for st141 Mon, 28 June 2004 09:08 Go to next message
Just wondering which gen 1g would be best for a st141 and would anyone know of anyone in the sydney/western sydney area tht does drive in drive out conversions?
I've been searching around but i cant find anything that realy helps that much.

Cheers
Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Mon, 28 June 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put a Gen III in with the only issue being the sump & oil pickup, both of which are easily replaced ror modified to suit.

I would go the Gen III as it's a later motor and a lot more likely to be in good condition. Also I think they make more power stock, but don't quote me on this or ask me the reasons why, they could well just run more boost.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Mon, 28 June 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would i need to do a brake upgrade if i just put an NA 1G in it? I've heard some people say that you would and some say that it wouldnt be nessecary
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Mon, 28 June 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably not necessary for engineering, but you'd be nuts not to do it. Ventilated disc brakes from an RA60 Celica are a direct bolt up and this will be a big improvement over what you have.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Tue, 29 June 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just put a 1g into a rt142 avante, as said, I fighted a front bulg sump and oil pickup.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Tue, 29 June 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much would those brakes set me back if i was to do it myself?
and what else would i be looking at spending if i can get the upgrade done
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Wed, 30 June 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what ever a wrecker wants to sell em for I got my ones for nothing off a mate, but I recon $100 to $200 would get you the entire strut and brakes.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Wed, 30 June 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfft.

My Celica->Corona brake upgrade cost me thirty dollars. Go to a wrecker, ask in advance how much they want for the calipers and rotors off a celica. If it sounds like too much, go somewhere else. If it sounds like only a little too much, try to bargain, say "I'll go pull them off the car now if you'll do it $10 cheap, and I don't need a receipt or anything like that"

You don't need the struts, this is just an added headache, extra labour, and they may not fit anyway - I didn't bother trying as it wasn't necessary!

On top of the calipers/rotors, budget an extra $30 per side for new brake hoses, probably another $20 for brake fluid, and at least $50 for brake pads (up to two or three hundred for really good race-type ones).
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Wed, 30 June 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that all you need, i might ring up places tommorrow and have a looky around Smile
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Wed, 30 June 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hell of a lot cheaper then getting it done at a shop, asked for a quote when i went into a betterbrakes and got a rough quote of around $1000-1500 for parts and labour.

Might just do the brake upgrade myself and get some much needed hands on experience.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Thu, 01 July 2004 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh I have a stupid question, when doing a brake upgrade should I just concentrate on the front brakes or upgrade the rear brakes too?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Thu, 01 July 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fronts do 70-80% of the work, so upgrading the rears usually doesn't do much.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Which gen 1g for st141 Sun, 04 July 2004 21:18 Go to previous message
Oh good dont feal like wasting money on upgrading rear brakes unless needed to Very Happy
Thanks for the help people
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Brake Booster 4agze
Next Topic:18R-Geu water pumps?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 09:20:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.1552619934082 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.