Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » am i crazy?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

am i crazy? Tue, 14 May 2002 21:35 Go to next message
i found a cheap rotary which happens to be a 13bt twin turbo and im thinking very seriously of putting this into my ra65

how much fuel would a rotary like this use ?...more than a hugely worked v8 ?

also how much power about, does anybody know ?...if it goes ahead it will be done within the month

cheers
Wayne
  Send a private message to this user    
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: am i crazy? Tue, 14 May 2002 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm crazy....
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: am i crazy? Tue, 14 May 2002 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres no denying that rotaries are gas guzzlers, especialy if theyre worked, after a while youll get sick of the noise too if you run big pipes. I dont think theyd use as much as an 8 if kept in standard trim.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: am i crazy? Wed, 15 May 2002 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great for the track but to much of a hand grenade for the street!

Allan
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: am i crazy? Wed, 15 May 2002 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my rota is still going after a number of years,more than I can say for most of my other engines.In standard form they are not to bad on fuel when driven normally (steady)but like ALL turboed motors they use a bit on boost.As for noise turbos are the best mufflers.
If worked off their nut they will again be like everything else and have a short life span.
Mine is a daily driver,everyday to work and ask anyone that has seen it ,it still runs good
Crazy?? I think not!! Look at the rx7's in the 12hour,they used less fuel,brakes etc and won NOT hard to work out if they are any good or not
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: am i crazy? Fri, 17 May 2002 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what i heard from, you can pull rotories apart but have a great time in putting it back together again...
Good luck if you want to rebuild it youself...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: am i crazy? Fri, 17 May 2002 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd imagine it would be a MUCH simpler concept to rebuild a rotary than a conventional piston engine. Do you know HOW much simpler those engines are?
Its probably one of the sole reasons that they have been so successful in endurance racing...mmm, who wants a 787B...hell, I would.
raistlin
Regular

July 2002
Re: am i crazy? Sun, 07 July 2002 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually I've been told that a rotary needs some sort of special metal covering redone for a rebuild and it's supposedly expensive as all phuck. That's why I'm running an 18R-G(will be T or TT)EU

Other than that they're more powerful than pretty much all standard(meaning non rotary) engines.... When done right anyway.
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: am i crazy? Sun, 07 July 2002 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is twin turbo then its a series 6 engine which are very smooth and fairly quiet. I think from memory they are around 175kw so it would get the celica moving. They arent very easy to rebuild and i would rather rebuild a piston engine anyday. The series 6 if left stock would be good on fuel and last a very long time if driven correctly. Any engine no matter how wild or mild will destroy itself if not serviced properly or driven too hard. If the price is right then go for it. You wont get a lighter more powerful engine in any of the toyota sixes and it would also be something different.
If you can afford it i think you are crazy if you dont do it.

Jamie.
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: am i crazy? Sun, 07 July 2002 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you are only crazy if you build something to please others,build it to please yourself and enjoy what you have,that is what it is all about
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: am i crazy? Sun, 07 July 2002 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You summed it up Toyrota!!
Your car should be to please you and be something you are proud of. Dont build something to please others or because it is the trend at the time. After all it is you who has to pay for and drive the car.

Jamie
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: am i crazy? Sun, 07 July 2002 11:56 Go to previous message
Seems some people have the right idea - theres nothing wrong with any idea like that. If someone suggested putting a 600hp Cat diesel from a kenworth in a celica, I'd still say go for it - and I'd love to see how they'd make it fit Idea

Only thing I'd suggest is you talk to a few rotor heads about things like engine mounts and the other little tricky bits that apply to rotors.

And theres no reason why it shouldn't be nice to drive and not too hefty on fuel - not all rotors run webers/peripheral ports and idle at 2500rpm...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:t 50 greabox differences
Next Topic:4age Engine Manual
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 20:28:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046050548553467 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.