Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chazza
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Sat, 26 June 2004 13:39 Go to next message
Hi guys,

I bought one of these cars recently (1999 Celica current shape) and would like to learn how to service it myself. It is due for an 80,000 KM service soon and the Sydney City Toyota dealer quoted me $521 for this service.

This service would have included:
* Oil change
* Oil filter change
* Coolant flush and change
* Brake fluid change
* Air filter
* Fuel filter replacement (including in-tank fuel filter)
* Inspection of brakes, pads, handbrake, steering, etc...

Now, since I've never owned a car before I don't know whether $521 is reasonable or not but I would assume since its a dealer price it would be expensive/ripoff pricing.

I'm thinking either try to do some of it myself to save money and get someone else to do the rest, or take it to a place like UltraTune/Midas and get them to do it for less than Toyota would. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic or place to go as I have heard that even these franchises/chains have horror stories?

My specific questions about this car are:

* What sort of oil would currently be in the car if it has been serviced by Toyota up to now? What oil do Toyota use in other words. What should I switch to? Castrol GTX3 sounds good...is this OK for the VVTL-i engine?

* Oil filters cost about $7 or so but will I need a special type from Toyota or will Ryco have a filter for me that is just as good?

* Toyota Red Coolant. Do I need this buy from them or is there a decent alternative? If I have to mix it myself, where do I get distilled water from? I don't have a laboratory at home unfortunately. Very Happy

* Brake fluid - I assume any standard brand fluid will do (eg. Castrol) as long as its recommend for my car.

* Air filter - Not sure what type it needs or where to get these from.

* Fuel filter - This sounds a bit risky so I might leave it to a pro.

* Inspecting the car - Well I'm no expert so I might leave this to a pro as well.

If anyone here services this car themselves (oil, coolant, etc) I would like to hear from you regarding what parts you recommend.

Thanks all.
  Send a private message to this user    
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Sun, 27 June 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Chazza,

Most of the Stuff you can do yourself, if you know how.

Check out this site

"http://www.everythingcelica.com/tech/index.html"

I would use a Synthetic Oil like Shell Helix Ultra or Mobil 1.
It's very easy to change yourself and should be done every 6 months.
Buy the Oil Filter+Air Filters+Coolant+Fuel filter/s from Toyota.
Brake fluid you can buy anywhere.(DOT 3 or 4 : look in Owners Manual)
Distilled Water you can buy from Hardware stores.

The most difficult part would be changing the In Tank filter. I believe you have to take the Back seat out and remove the filter that way.Best left to Toyota.

My recommendation would be to do it yourself except for the Fuel Filter and Brake Fluid change. Can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Cheers
T.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 June 2004 01:33]

Chazza
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Sun, 27 June 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sort of oil do Toyota use? ...Mineral/Synthetic? If the car has been using a mineral oil up to now I'd like to stick with that rather than switching to synthetic. It probably doesn't make that much difference does it? I don't drive in extreme conditions and probably do 3500 KM every 6 months.

Is there any specific reason you suggest a Toyota oil filter over something like a Ryco oil filter?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Mon, 28 June 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice to hear another ZZT231 in the forum. With my Celica, it's only done 25,000 since new. I rather take it to Toyota since the engine is rather refined compared to the Commodore motor. I rather use synthetic engine oil since it was specified for it. Since the engine is a high compression motor, it is not worth experimenting with those motors. Also, I don't have a workshop to work on the car. The Toyota oil filter is I *think* similar price to the Ryco oil filter.

Cheers.
Chazza
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Mon, 28 June 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get your car serviced by Toyota, wouldn't they use mineral oil? Your'e saying you use synthetic... Confused

This is such a nice car, I only wish I had the money to buy a new one and do it up instead of having a 2nd hand one stock. Crying or Very Sad
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Mon, 28 June 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive heard just as many horror stories about dealers too.
this is just an eduacted guess but most car manufactures leave
making oil to the oil companies, and just repackage or recommend a particular type of oil. This may be a stupid question, but have you had a look in your owners manul? it usually specifies which type they prefer.
You could easily do those things yourself. It's is not difficult at all. Even the in tank fuel filter. I don't know for sure, but i don't think they would have put it in there if it req disassembling the whole car to remove it.

Are you doing it to learn or just to save money?
Chazza
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Mon, 28 June 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemi twofifteen turbo wrote on Tue, 29 June 2004 00:47

Are you doing it to learn or just to save money?
For both reasons...hobby and save money.
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Mon, 28 June 2004 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota use a synthetic blend in my sportivo, and as i found out (by supplying my own oil that they refused to use) they stick pretty rigidly to their recommended spec. The other interesting thing is that they told me they would refuse a warranty claim if a non-genuine filter had been used in the vehicle ever.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Tue, 29 June 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chazza wrote on Mon, 28 June 2004 22:38

If you get your car serviced by Toyota, wouldn't they use mineral oil? Your'e saying you use synthetic... Confused

I just get the dealers to change the oil... if they go against the specifications of Toyota... Well there is something going on wrong...
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Tue, 29 June 2004 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure you can get other mechanics to do a "logbook" service. Not meaning you go down to dodgy tony etc. , but if you know a mechanic you can trust to do high quality work you can get him to do a logbook service at a lower cost than Toyota and most likely work of a higher standard.

That said you'd want to be sure of it as you don't want toyota being able to dishonour a warranty claim due to somehting stupid like a filter!

Seems a little exy..but we are talking toyota, a local mechanic I know that is really good would probably be around $300, I'm only guessing though Smile The mechanic is in Brookvale. PM me if you need details

Some Midas branches are good others bad. My dad has had his van at 2 different midas branches. One branch did a top job at a reasonable price while the other couldn't adjust a handbrake after fitting rear brake shoes Rolling Eyes , totally messed it up and took it to the mechanic we trusted to fix it.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 June 2004 12:40]

paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Tue, 29 June 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I'd shop around. We are up in brissy and for a 10000k service, toyota were only about 10 bucks more expensive than other places so I just took it back to the dealers 'cos I figured that way there'd be no arguments if anything ever goes wrong. Normally I'd do it all myself but when there's a warranty your hands are pretty much tied.
Chazza
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Self-servicing a Celica ZZT231R Tue, 29 June 2004 13:13 Go to previous message
I know a mechanic (he's actually a relo about 1 hours drive away) who said he could do it for $250 including parts (compare that to $521). Only the coolant will be genuine Toyota Red, the rest of the stuff will be off the shelf stuff like Castrol oil, Ryco filters, etc...

He said he would also do a thorough inspection of brakes, steering, etc for me...

Can anyone see a problem with the non-genuine parts on this car? Should I drop off to Sydney Toyota and pickup the genuine oil + filters just to be safe? Or am I really just paying for the Toyota brand name...?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Digital dash alternatives? (in soup Mk2)
Next Topic:largest boosted angine allowed in a hachi
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:29:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064890384674072 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.