Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
black betty
Occasional Poster

February 2004
6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 07:53 Go to next message
have just acquired stolen recovered 7m g/e supra with decent engine/ 5 spd Smile

as its just sitting in my garage and i have no deadline timewise i want to create a cheap throttle body set-up

have heard of people in US using bike ITBs i.e. GSXR-1000 with 40-45mm inlets cheap off e-ba y apparently

has anyone on here done anything similar??

what sort of fuel/ignition set-up have you been using? (microtech?)

how did you fabricate inlet manifold brackets for the TB's??

any advice would be greatly appreciated
  Send a private message to this user    
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very interested also, bumpety bump
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
talk to ed_ma61 or gianttomato

watch out for ed, he is a dodgey mofo Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 30 June 2004 08:02]

black betty
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also stories of 3 cylinder snowmobile throttle bodies- they have machinings to run warm oil through them

quite large inlets- i.e. 45-50mm

they reckon you can run water through them instead when used on cars to keep the air temps down

anyone know much about these?

[Updated on: Wed, 30 June 2004 08:19]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Making the manifold is simple enough. Just use the bottom half of the intake manifold. Make a plate with your six ITBs spaced out. Cut and shut the individual runners in the manifold to try and space them out so they match the ITB spacing. Weld this plate to the bottom half of the now modified manifold. Machine an angle on the plate so that the fuel rail can be secured. Machine all your 'flat' surfaces flat (the welding warps them). Enjoy.

I am using an aftermarket ECU to control mine. I am just using the TPS to determine load but you could be a little more sophisticated and run individual lines to a central cannister and run a MAP sensor there, or you could even enclose everything in a tightly sealed airbox and run an air flow meter (something like a Karmann-Vortex might be nice rather than a flap type AFM). I wouldn't even bother doing this without an aftermarket ECU.

I think some of those bike ones are actually quite small - 36mm is a number I remember but not sure what bike they were off. One guy on here wants to put them on a 1UZ - chat to "onejayzed".
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i concur - motorbike t/b's on the wole are VERY small... 34-38mm etc. there are some around 41mm, and another again around the 45mm mark, but these are very hard to find, let alone 6 of the fuckers.

tip - keep an eye out for rb26dett throttle bodies. 45mm, there's 6 of them, and the linkages are already done for you Nod

also - i have a spare 7m lower manifold you can have to bugger around with and cut up if you like, $20inc shipping to canberra

ps - im no a dodgy bastard, thanks glen Twisted Evil
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And yes I have dug up that spare 2JZ manifold - it's sitting in the garage beside the Crown which has been receiving all my attention.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 30 June 2004 19:59

And yes I have dug up that spare 2JZ manifold - it's sitting in the garage beside the Crown which has been receiving all my attention.

PM snob!

**hmmmppphhhhh**

Laughing Laughing
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha 7m bashing time hey ed Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as long as im still beating you, dude... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha and all the this time ive said the 2jz would kick the 7m...

so finally you come across Razz
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Wed, 30 June 2004 21:55

so finally you come across Razz

accross and beyond....

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another alternative for cheap TB's are old side draft carbies, if you look hard enough, you can probably get 3 40mm solex's for free....
black betty
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
many thanks all for your responses

ed-ma61- interested in spare manifold PM sent

whas a rb26dett- is that skyline?

if so is that from the AWD one or do the 2wd ones have them also??

[Updated on: Wed, 30 June 2004 22:47]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Wed, 30 June 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only the Skyline GTR's have the RB26DETT.

And Ed, what's this about you "beating" Glenn? I seem to recall a certain 2JZ-GE Supra piking at the Toyota Nationals. Razz
black betty
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone know if 6 cylinder BMW M cars such as m3 and m5 have throttle bodies like the Nissan?

if so which would be easire to get a hold of the nissan or bmw ones??
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M3 engines have had ITB's for a while now. I imagine they'd be difficult to get and probably cost an arm and a leg, but I've never gone looking for anything like that so don't take my word for it.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nissan ones are easier to find due to fulsikbro's 'upgrading' to single large throttle bodies and thus ditching the ITBs

not too many folks ripping M3 engines apart...

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I can't imagine too many M3 ITBs being removed for the d0riftofulsikbro big single throttle body. That said I have never looked but I just can't imagine them being cheap.

It's an interesting progression - "Can I use ITBs from a chainsaw motor?" to "Can I use ITBs from an incredibly expensive Euro sports car?" Rolling Eyes

If you are prepared to do your own work and be a little ingenious, dead Solexes or Webers will make an excellent basis (here is a link for you). Or you could do Ed's thing which is to use GTR throttle bodies. Or $1700 will get you everything you need to do ITBs for a 6 from Speed Technology. Or you could try Injection Perfection or even Motec.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 July 2004 07:38]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and norbie its a 7M that piked.

The 2J was proudly on show.

Ed has finally decieded that the 7m was a waste of time and the governments money, and has made the move to a platform that he can finally modify effectively.

I shall see you all at dyno day...no pikers now.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i believe the 7mge was also proudly on show (for a brief time) and was recognised in that short time to dominate the 2jzge with such sufficiency that i happily retired the girl for the rest of the weekend Twisted Evil

and for the record, im sure as shit not 'happy' with the 2jz by any means, it just offers, hmmm, 2 features that i can utilse in modification more easily than the 7m... the engine i have in mind will ultimately resemble very little of your precious 2jz

so much so that i dare say it will pay significant homage to its 7m roots

[Updated on: Thu, 01 July 2004 07:55]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so effectivly ed is destroying a perfectly decent 2j with 3s bits

EDIT:And my guess is bigger valves and a metal headgasket.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 July 2004 07:47]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep fishing big boy... Laughing

and that whole 3s idea btw - complete SHIT!! whoever spent 2 whole miliseconds contemplating it doesnt know shit about engine dynamics
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stock bottom end good for 600hp?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 17:45

And my guess is bigger valves and a metal headgasket.

wrong again...

ill give you a hint about 1 though::

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=5311&rid=92&S=9cedaddd10e823383283f778b39fa99c

(ps - as if a stock mhg is a feature id take advantage of)
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
big mofo cams
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigh - wrong again Twisted Evil
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
valve springs, retainers and buckets

10,000rpm?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bzzzzzzzzzzzzztttt
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm, i was a little harsh on the cam call perhaps.

not mofo cams
rev limited to 7500rpm

still requires 31mm buckets (vs 7m 28mm) <---- one advantage
still requires SUB lifters
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vvti Razz
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh glen... give up dude

teh 2JZ-GED can nevah lose

phear me!!

gotta think outta the box if you want +100nm/L & +100hp/L and still explode outta the gates with just a blip of the throttle

torque (something youre not familiar with?)
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2JZGED??

D??

[Updated on: Thu, 01 July 2004 08:32]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2jz-ged
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes

2JZGEDISGHEY.

that is all.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 16:32

2jz-ged

2jz-ged_ma61 ??

[Updated on: Thu, 01 July 2004 08:48]

EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha nice 1 ed Smile
i take it ull be at dyno day? (even if nothing more than to say hi)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whens dyno day?
im in dubbo still, and will be here for 3 more painful weeks Confused
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Thu, 01 July 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its on sunday
so im taking that as a no Razz

dubbo that bad hey?
or just dragin on?
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Fri, 02 July 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i'm trying to adapt my Kawasaki GPz1100R 35mmŲ individual TBs to mu 1UZ.

the graet thing is the TBs come with a throttle position sensor.

i will have to blank off the GPz injectors though, as the 1UZFE injectors are in the lower half of the manifold. i'll be unbolting the top half of the manifold and making an adaptor plate to suit the individual ports of the lower half of the manifold.

throttle linkages shouldn't be that hard either.

first i have to get it up and running though! i'm STILL playing around with my rack and pinion steering - damn winter rain Mad
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Fri, 02 July 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah... i swear i just typed this Mad

anyway...

you may find youre better off utilisting the GPz injector mounts on the tb's as opposed to the manifold mounted position. youll get better air/fuel mix homogenuity with resultant inrease in torque. only a little, but every improvement adds up.

cheers
ed
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Fri, 02 July 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmmmm do they make any Bike TB's like the flat slide carbies.... A complete unobstructed inlet @WOT.
black betty
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: 6 cylinder n/a individual throttle bodies advice Fri, 02 July 2004 04:26 Go to previous message
4 cylinder lhd bmw m3's (1980's) used motor bike type slide ITB's with FI

again unlikely to find any in the breakers!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3TGTE genius OR motor mechanic
Next Topic:compression ratios of the GZE's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 12:52:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.18393611907959 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.