Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
4K-C head gasket Wed, 30 June 2004 13:26 Go to next message
any one done a 4K head gasket?
anything i should be aware of when doing it?
is the 4K an OHV (pushrod) or a OHC motor?
  Send a private message to this user    
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4K-C head gasket Wed, 30 June 2004 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 4k-C is a pushrod engine.

if u cant be bothered changing the head gasket ill buy the motor off u
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its easy as. pushrods out, manifolds off, rocker bolts out in order, head bolts out in order, head off. there are screwdriver recesses in the head so you can lever it off

use hylomar spray if you're using a monotorque gasket or similar, don't use anything if you're using a grahpite gasket

torque specs and order for the rockers and head bolts are in a gregories/haynes/factory manual, or i can post them tonight when i get home. set your tappets cold then warm up the engine and set them properly when hot
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldn;t use hylomar with the ACL monotorque gaskets (BD950MT), they seem to seal very well as is.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon with 60 ft-lb holding it down you could probably use a manilla folder and it would be fine as long as it had firing rings Smile
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could possibly even do it with the manifolds still attached to the head if you were really lazy!!
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your exhaust is flanged. if you have extractors welded to pipe and mufflers all the way thru (like i do) then off they come Smile
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon if you got creative with the way you got the pushrods out you would still be able to do it with even your exhaust attached

im up for the challenge

maybe i should go out to the local u-pull-it with a camera and record the process!
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the pushrods just come up out of their holes once you take the rocker gear off, that's not the problem, you see when you go to lift the head off the deck, the exhaust gives it about 15mm of upward movement before the pipe hits the floorpan and you can't go any further. so unless you jack the front up, remove the front subframe and lower the short motor down, still attached to the crossmember, it's not going to happen
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
15mm should be enough room to get the old gasket out and slide the new one in!
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm an apprentice mechanic with limited tools doing this job at home for a friend. i just hope that the exhaust bolts arent rusted on Shocked no doubt they will be considering the car has done 293000kms. any special tools required to do the job?

Cheers Super Jamie any specs u can provide will help greatly.

Sorry Domasik its not my car and what would u want with a worn out 4K-C anyway?

[Updated on: Thu, 01 July 2004 09:30]

Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
15mm haha none of that silly gasket scraping clean mounting face business Razz

you'll just need a torque wrench and a metric socket set dude. if you're an apprentice mechanic i'll assume you know to undo the rockers and head bolts so the head doesn't warp, clean and degrease the mounting faces and other such things. i'm not even a mechanic and i can do it so u should be right

head bolt order
F 8 6 1 3 9
10 4 2 5 7

F designates front of motor. do them up in three separate passes, first 29ft-lb then 37ft-lb then 45ft-lb. do the rockers up in some sort of similar order, basically start from the inside and work outwards. rocker torque is 15ft-lb

to set tappets, rotate crank to #1 to tdc on firing stroke (rotor switch should point towards spark plug 2), set tappets 1 2 3 and 5 (counting from the front). rotate 360 degrees and do tappets 8 7 6 and 4

cold clearances are 5 and 9 thou (inlet, exhaust). warm clearances are 8 and 12 (inlet, exhaust)

don't forget a manifold gasket Smile
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i could give you one tip, it's don't be he-man with the manifold studs and bolts. the torque for them is something stupid and immesurable like 7 to 11ft-lb, i usually do them up fingertight with a socket extension, then give em say quarter more of a turn

hopefully you're used to a torque wrench and you can feel when you've done it tight enough. better not tight enough, if it leaks then you can always just re-silicon it and do it up some more

there's nothing worse than getting your head all done and stripping out the last manifold stud you do up. been there, done that, it sucks
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont work well in imprerial measurements what is 5 & 9 thou and 8 & 12 thou in mm? the torques are fine coz my torque wrench is american. also i dont mean to be snobby or showy in anyway im probably just naieve but i work on modern prestige cars i have never done a head gasket and i've agreed to do this job for experience. by the sounds of this i may have to look into getting the haynes manual.
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate its dead easy

pull manifolds off
pull rocker cover off
undo the head studs
lift head & replace gasket
torque head down as above
put manifolds back on

easy 1 day job Wink
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well there are 1000 thousandths of an inch in 25.4mm, so 25.4 divided 1000 times X gives you millimetres, X being how many thou you're setting at. i never work in metrics Smile

(25.4 / 1000) * thou = mm

don't forget to drain the coolant (pull the bottom radiator hose off) before you start, as there's water in the head. firing order for the distributor leads is 1342

i cant think of anything else we've missed?
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well u have made it sound easy pro_ke lets see if it is that easy. ill get back to yas once ive done it. only thing to do now is make time to do the job! Razz
thou does sound easier but i only have a metric feeler gague.
something tells me im going to like weekend cash jobs (i probably shouldnt say it out loud)

[Updated on: Thu, 01 July 2004 10:15]

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4K-C head gasket Thu, 01 July 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wana rebuild one thats why, why start with one thats running ok and spend the extra $$$ for it then i can get a stuffed one for next to nothing?
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4K-C head gasket Mon, 05 July 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how'd you go sam?
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: 4K-C head gasket Mon, 05 July 2004 10:15 Go to previous message
well hmm... im still trying to get hold of a haynes/gregory's manual once i have that then ill organise to have the car brought to my house.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:engine dampners?
Next Topic:Need help with turbo headers!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:49:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056188106536865 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.