Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 11 April 2004 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like it would wear the spider gears a bit? still....has anyone tried it... yet ??

[Updated on: Sun, 11 April 2004 22:32]

Send a private message to this user    
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 12 April 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geez would someone hurry up and just try this on an s series centre?

$250 is hardly anything, its worth a shot... i just dont have a spare centre here thats all, or else id already have done it Very Happy
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 12 April 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do u know how much McDonalds I can buy for $250???????
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 12 April 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Mon, 12 April 2004 14:16

enough to permanently preserve your carcass when you die Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 12 April 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 12 April 2004 14:23

enough to permanently preserve your carcass when you die Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LOL Laughing
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 12 April 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Enough to preserve all the fat and make a wax/fat model when you die.

Some people dont realise how fatty maccas is.

1 cheese burger and 1 small fries has more fat then the recommended dailey intake, just in 1 meal. RDI 30-40mgs per day

Back too topic, im also waiting, but have no spare diff to use.
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 21 April 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
any progress on this topic?
i looked at the phantomgrip site and the do em mostly for FWD cars. im thinking about 1 when i blow my current AE82's diff
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 22 April 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The $250 unit everyone is on about works only on pre-load. It does not lock up spider gears like a phantom grip.It is a traction device designed origionaly for dirt.It is definitly not for drag or drift or even circle work.If that is youre bag , get an lsd,spool or weld youre centre. This thing provides some posetive force to both wheels and on dirt it is a bloody good thing.On buitumen it will not leave two smokin lines of rubber,it does however settle and balance the car thru fast (non sliding)corners somewhat like an lsd and at $250 it is a good cheap device for its designed purpose. Phantom grip,nearest I can tell is the same to a point ,but on hard acceleration it locks into the spider gears,locking the diff.Sounds harsh but more thrashable in theory.I'm in the middle of making a very basic one at the moment to see how harsh the lock up comes in and if it proves pretty cool i'll have a couple of real ones made up.If you like the idea , have a look at the P/G site, measure you're diff centre and have one made up . I would be suprised if it cost you more than $100.An lsd is without a doubt the best option for nearly all situations ,but if this thing is half as good ,atless than quater the price (less again if you are mates with an engineer)then its gotta be a winner.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 22 April 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the phantom grip is so good then why does everyone have LSD's?
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 25 April 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only heard of the P/G a month or so ago and the aus. one a year or so ago . cant beat a limo . bang for buck? I'll get back to you.
ae86slideways
Regular

April 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 26 April 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres a lot of feedback on the phantom grip centres on american websites ,both good and bad,but it is cheap and does seem to work well.Has anyone tried different spring pressures in the unit?I was looking into making one myself but was unsure of the friction surface material to use and spring poundage to start with.
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 26 April 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dood it does'nt matter what spring rate you start with, its what you end up with that is important for all looking at making one .Glad someone else is willinng to try and make one rather than rag it without trying it.Some kind of tooling grade alloy seems to be the word so far but I reckon any engineer could point you in the right direction.Keep us posted on what you come up with as a heap of folk are obviousley intrested.
william68
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Tue, 27 April 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so still haven't anyone tried it yet.

I think I will pay them a visit this or next weekend and see what material do they use on the spring loaded plates. Ifs its happen to be a softer material than the spiders gears then it should be fine.

Only need to change the plate like once a year just like LSD. Rebuild once a year or 2.

^_^
fangsport
Regular

January 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 29 May 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone had a crack at building/installing one of these units yet? or can someone give me the basic lowdown on what to measure when making the plates (thickness/clearances etc) so i can make my own and report back as to whether they work or not. i know of someone who has recently installed a phantom grip , but at NZ$750 installed, i'd like to use a bit of 'kiwi cleverness' and save some bucks.

any help would be most appreciated and if i get one made, i will definately post some feedback on it.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 30 May 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, who in Sydney wants to embark on an experiment with one of these with me? I've just pulled out my stock sprinter rear end and I'm willing to hook up with someone else with a Sprinter who is willing to go halves in installing one of these in my centre, then installing the centre in their car and then we will do periodical checks on diff oil etc and see how it performs on the road.

Any takers???
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 01 July 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would if i were down south....
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 01 July 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any news?
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 01 July 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about a quick release system to make changing from an open center to locker easy??

Or adapting something like the ford utes with the "lock diff" button.. now that would be cool..

Laughing LSD's cost too much.. Confused Sad
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Fri, 02 July 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"phantom grip"

This design of system has been around in Melbourne for about 25 years . The first person how started this in hillclimb minis was Bill Freame , of Rapid Precision Engineering i think [ the piston and rings people } in Knox area .

The parts to construct this device would cost you stuff all the springs / materials could be purchased from any engineering suppliers .

But really its the old case of you get what you pay for . Just remember its not going to work like a $1000 dollars lsd .

I went a step futher while making one of these years ago , i used a spun down lsd plate in between the pressure metal discs .

This was only for a 30ish % lock in a front wheel drive car .
But really because of the design of this system just using pressure and metal heat friction the unit will not work at a constant , and thats no good once you go about say 200hp . It takes about two corners for the third one the car reacts differently .

Yes proper LSD's are expensive , Just try finding a Nismo Motorsport LSD center like me at the moment , they go for $1700 if you can find one Crying or Very Sad .
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Tue, 06 July 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The dood on the datsun 1200 site who was making one of these has fitted and tried his one in a 1200 rally car.FUCKING AWSOME... his words .I dont belive he has posted any thing since trying it but he P/M'ed my bro in law and said he used poofteenth tolerances ,but I am yet to find out what springs he used.When my T rear goes in it will be fitted with one of these and vented falcon rear discs and calipers. Have everything but the phantom and I'm down $120 so far and a mate will proly make it for me.So as the origional thread posed,a cheap alternative lsd disc brake t-searies rear end? I reckon so.
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Tue, 06 July 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he interested in making a few more up?
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 08 July 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
couple of interesting links:

http://www.teamswift.net/~madzuki/phantom.html

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/november02/pha ntomgrip/
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 05 January 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so has anyone tried it?

I might give it a go on my T series until I can afford an LSD..

Should be interesting.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 05 January 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whilst this is an old thread I may have some bad news for all the oz-spec boys (and girls) out there hoping to find the holy grail of a cheap Sprinter LSD.

Pull apart your S-series and you'll discover they are a 4pinion diff. That is there are 4 spider gears connecting the two side gears. That means there is no room to fit any plates and springs in between the side gears. I've totally pulled apart an S-series diff and seen plenty more and they are chockas full of gears and shafts. There is no way you could fit a phantom grip type setup in there.

A T-series however (atleast from a T18) is only 2 pinion and so would be more conducive to fitting a phantom grip type LSD.

Or just weld the damn thing and be done with it.

Hen
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 05 January 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While this has been resurected Anyone hoping to weld an S series hachi diff, you cant actually get it done properly. The holes leading to the inner splines are too damn small for a proper welder . Hence I got mine done but it was done by pouring weld into the centre! and this wont last very long. I was also told that once it goes.. that the weld will get eaten up and it'll return to an open-wheel. Im sure this is the case, but Im sure some damage will be done in the process. I'll have pics soon enough Wink
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 06 January 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While the little holes in an S-series are a hassle to weld through you can MIG it up pretty damn well in there. I've only ever had one fail and that was the first one I ever did.

Just heat the area up with an oxy then put as much weld as possible in there, especially between the gear teeth.

Seems to work a treat, I've now done seven over the past year with only the failure being that first attempt.

Hen
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 06 January 2005 02:27 Go to previous message
I broke a weld locked diff at 130 on dirt (behind a ze).

I can only assume that some weld broke off and landed in the crown gear - cant find the pic!

But i also managed to break a brand new HD pressure plate into 5 peices and break 4 t boxes, 2 S diffs and a t diff in that car
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ TT cruise control actuator on ST185
Next Topic:1JZ - 2JZ Diffs...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 09:54:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060009956359863 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.