Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 03:09 Go to next message
Hi guys I am just about to buy a Sprinter and I am wanting to do an engine conversion my budget at this stage is $10k.

What I would like to know is what is the best forced engine for the sprinter.

I have been tallking to a few people and there is a mixed response. Some are saying the 4AGZE is a good option and another one that has been mentioned is a 1GG with a single turbo conversion.

I am hoping some people on here will be able to help me out and tell me what enginse drop straight/rought cost for the conversions/ and any good workshops that deal with Sprinters specifically if any???

cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure how much it will cost, but I think the best option would be a 4AGZE, with the 'charger replaced with a turbo. I'm sure you could do this with a good level of quality within your budget.

1G's are too heavy IMO and ruin the balance of the car, which is one of the main attractions of the AE86.
rustfree
Regular

May 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a 3sgte converted to rwd. might go over your budget though.
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 13:12

I'm not sure how much it will cost, but I think the best option would be a 4AGZE, with the 'charger replaced with a turbo. I'm sure you could do this with a good level of quality within your budget.

1G's are too heavy IMO and ruin the balance of the car, which is one of the main attractions of the AE86.

Is there any advantage with turboing the 4AGZE or am I better off just keeping the S/C and upping its output ???

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Way more potential for power - Depending on what turbo you use I guess......
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 13:36

basically the car will be used for drifting, So I am after decent power to make drifting fun not an effort.

With that in mind if I turboed it I would be looking at a T28 or HKS 2530 turbo.

What is your opinion on the high reving 20 valve am i better off using that ???
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Project Sprinter wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 13:20

AE86slut wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 13:12

Is there any advantage with turboing the 4AGZE or am I better off just keeping the S/C and upping its output ???

the best supercharged one i have done makes 111kw at the wheels, this is with a Nevo 175, microtech LTX8, FMIC etc, a stock GZE makes around 80-90kw

i have tuned a stock 86kw 4age with a td04l off a wrx, this made 130kw on 11psi with a Microtech LT8, supra intercooler etc

another one is a GZE with a T28 on it, made 140kw on 14psi with a microtech MT8, FMIC etc,

Dale
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Project Sprinter wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 13:47

basically the car will be used for drifting, So I am after decent power to make drifting fun not an effort.

With that in mind if I turboed it I would be looking at a T28 or HKS 2530 turbo.

dont waste your time with a HKS turbo, over priced for a brand name garrett turbo... i would put a TD04L off a wrx for good low down response and 240hp at the wheels max or a s15 t28 for 250+hp at the wheels

20v turbos are fun, pricks to tune but respond very very well to boost! tuned one the other week that made 170hp HP at the wheels on 7psi with a tiny t25!!!

Dale
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suggest you take what Dale (10_secrx7) has to say about this stuff!

If you are drifting it, you will prbably want a nice bit of mid-range grunt, so I guess a 20V with a medium sized turbo and a moderate amount of boost (remembering it is a relatively high compression engine) would be the go (?)...... This is what I will probably end up doing in the near future.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale what would I be looking at to drop in 4AGZE and turbo it??

I am after roughly 120rwkw.

Sam.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 4agze is a direct bolt in into a sprinter as far as i can tell,

for 120rwkw i would be using the td04 off a wrx, cheap, no lag and will make the power you want easy,

your 10k budget will cover it, you want the bigport GZE

here is a basic run down (rough prices to give you a idea)

GZE motor $1000
turbo $200-300
manafolds inlet and exhaust $900
gaskets, oil lines, water lines, air filter $300
microtech LTX8 $1700 installed
dyno hire $250
fuel system $500
intercooler $600
intercooler pipes $600
3in exhuast $1000
good clutch $500
7mgte injectors $250

thats about $7750 plus a bit of labour to put all the stuff in the car, we can do everything but fit the engine, i can get a MRC to fit the engine, clutch etc if you dont want to do it,
i guantee this setup to make 140-150 kw at the wheels with out raising a sweat,

dale
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info Dale.

by the way you say we can do it what workshop do you work for ???
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depending on what you want done is to who does it,
i own www.braidedlines.com and do all the microtech stuff

Castle hill exhuast do all the turbo manafolds, exhuasts, intercooler pipes, fitting of that stuff,

MRC dyno and performance do all the engine building, fitting etc,
i use MRC's dyno to tune all my customers cars on, that is the same dyno that ae86slut's car was tuned on,

basically i work closly with both of them to get the customers car all finished in the shortest time possible, we have been known to remove stock turbos and fit GT25's or td04's to starlets, fit microtech and tune in a weekend, drive in friday and pick up monday completed. we like to take a little more time these days as it takes its toll on everyone, generally around a week to do these things now

Dale

Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How well will the standatd internals on the GZE hold up to that sort of power ???
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Project Sprinter wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 15:02

How well will the standatd internals on the GZE hold up to that sort of power ???

Absolute piece of piss mate...... They are hella strong. The pistons alone are forged and ceramic(?) coated standard.

I have heard of ppl putting 30 psi through them on standard internals, but don't quote me on that.
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 15:04

I have heard of ppl putting 30 psi through them on standard internals, but don't quote me on that.

I had to quote that Laughing Laughing Laughing

forged and ceramic coated. will have no problems for the application I require Very Happy

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Project Sprinter wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 15:02

Ae86 is right,

i have a STOCK 86kw 4age making nearlly 200hp at the wheels on stock internals, the GZE will cope with 20psi day in day out no problems at all, on 20psi i would expect the motor to make around 165-170kw at the wheels

Dale
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm getting all g'd up to whack on a turbo now!!!!

But seriously, with a GZE block, you will have zero dramas and have more than enough power. In an AE86 all you really need is to run a moderate amount of boost to compensate for the lack of low-midrange urge that the N/A motors do not provide. Putting too much power through it will ruin the balance of the car IMO.
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will let my overall output figure determine what boost I will run.

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bring it on mate!

you just need a set of injectors, different spark plugs and away you go,

hunt around for a Td04 of a wrx, perfect low lag turbo for a 4age

Dale
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I will be spending a bit of time in the REXNET forsale section Cool
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a couple on Performance forums and a few on twincam.org for sale, prices start at $150 and up from there, unless it has less than 10,000km on it i wouldnt pay more than $300

dale
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will look into it.

I am not in a hurry at the moment as I am trying to get rid of my current car.

but I will slowly get the bits and peices that i will need to get the work done so when its all ready to be done I can drop the car off with all the bits and just get it done.

I have a FMIC now 600x300x76 is that too big for a sprinter. am I better off with the smaller supra intercooler ot a VR4 cooler ??
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you can fit that cooler in the front use it, it will work very well, the bigger the better, supra coolers suck ass mate, vr4 would work ok as well
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will try and fit the bastard then....... Laughing

I heard that the supra coolers were quite good seems I heard wrong.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the supra coolers dont do much at all, better than nothing but i would not put one on a motor that was going to cop some boost,

dale
ae864eva
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aren't you guys forgetting the brake conversion
front and back.

also the the standard diff is not going to stand that sort of power.

then there suspension.....then there engineering cost....othere cost e.g towing car here and there...

Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wil lget the other things done aswell Wink

i know there is alot more to a conversion than just simply engine work.

I was looking at ausing DBA rotors and EBC greenstuff pads.

suspension I was looking at was either Tein jic or hot bits coil overs.

Diff however I didn't add into my equation. I thought the standard diff would have been capable what upgrade do you suggest ???
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae864eva wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 16:15

Aren't you guys forgetting the brake conversion
front and back.

also the the standard diff is not going to stand that sort of power.

then there suspension.....then there engineering cost....othere cost e.g towing car here and there...

The original question was for an "engine conversion"......

Project Sprinter - The cost of Tein coilovers for AE86 is highly prohibitive...... I got quoted around $4,500 COST!!!

There are heaps cheaper options around anyways.
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn that much Shocked

I will be staying well away from them I have $1500 set aside for coilover I was thinking more about JIC or Hotbits what others are avaliable I haven't looked into them too much.

but you right this was and still is an engine conversion thread. other money has been put aside for other mods aswell Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Project Sprinter wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 13:47

you dont need power to drift an ae86.
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know, but if you have decent power, it makes drifting easier. mainly helps start the drift. Plus I am comming out of a powerful AWD car and still have the taste for boost and power that needs satisfying Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point Garth, but it does help Evil or Very Mad
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What Engine Thu, 01 July 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Project Sprinter wrote on Thu, 01 July 2004 16:44

I know, but if you have decent power, it makes drifting easier. mainly helps start the drift. Plus I am comming out of a powerful AWD car and still have the taste for boost and power that needs satisfying Very Happy

i hear you buddy, im lost with out my boost fix!
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Fri, 02 July 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as they saying goes, once youve been boosted you carn't go back Cool
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What Engine Fri, 02 July 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also go have alook at some old dyno day results
it will show u what the old 4agte can do + there is more than a few 200+ rwkw ones on this forum
Project Sprinter
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: What Engine Mon, 05 July 2004 03:03 Go to previous message
EMP-2TG wrote on Fri, 02 July 2004 10:39

also go have alook at some old dyno day results
it will show u what the old 4agte can do + there is more than a few 200+ rwkw ones on this forum

The missus still needs to be able to drive the car, I don't want too much power so that it steps out around every corner
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:got any idea wut the carpet's made of ?
Next Topic:Brake Booster 4agze
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:37:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0090689659118652 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.