Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » engine dampners?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

engine dampners? Sat, 26 June 2004 16:01 Go to next message
what do people think about engine dampners? is it mostly just for wank value or what? Engine dampner as being the shockers or bars with bus linkages that go from a strut tower to the top of the engine.

it might make intercooling piping flex less of an issue however I have been told that if an engine is held too firm it isnt able to distribute its vibrations and it wears out quicker.

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: engine dampners? Sat, 26 June 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think they are a great idea particularly with a bigger engine in an older car on the standard mount.
I'll be using one in my car.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine dampners? Sun, 27 June 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where do you buy these? I've been looking for one.

Is there a car that came with them standard? or purchase aftermarket?

Thanks
Joel
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: engine dampners? Sun, 27 June 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any shocky re valving shop should be able to set you up with one.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine dampners? Sun, 27 June 2004 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've always thought they'd be something of a bandaid solution for old mounts, surely some nice new urethane mounts would do the trick.
The overhead locker doors on aeroplanes have some nice gas struts in them that'd be perfect for this application, I have one or two & have defenitely considered it, but purely for wank value. Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: engine dampners? Sun, 27 June 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They come in very handy if you visit the drag strip often.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: engine dampners? Sun, 27 June 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
either way I would think they would need to be extreemly rigid, as in having like only 10mm of travel or so, so no old strut would do.
toynado
Regular

May 2004
Re: engine dampners? Sun, 27 June 2004 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at least sum celicas in the u s hav a hydraulic damper on the motor mount
which my truck with the same motor duzn't hav
i need sumthin like this
the stock setup is rather absurd in my opinion
lots and lots of motor movement
in a 2 ton vehicle
that sux big time
i already compromised a coil wire not realizing how much motor tweak i wuz getting
my fiats had a steel rod with rubber bushed ends from the top of the motor to the firewall
(transverse motor, fwd)
it wuz NECESSARY
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine dampners? Mon, 28 June 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to your nearest wrecking yard and see what's available; quite a few cars come with engine dampeners, but I can't think of any right now. I think some MA61's had them, but I can't remember if mine did originally!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engine dampners? Tue, 29 June 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my corona avante had one on the 22r-e on the passanger side from the cross member to the engine mount. looked at it for a little while then laugh at the engineering behind it.. guess it just shows how much of a truck motor the 22r-e is no matter how much the old man next door keeps reminising about how the 'super responsive' motor was soo good for its time.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: engine dampners? Tue, 29 June 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 28 June 2004 10:43

Go to your nearest wrecking yard and see what's available; quite a few cars come with engine dampeners, but I can't think of any right now. I think some MA61's had them, but I can't remember if mine did originally!

yeah it did, you gave it to me Smile
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine dampners? Tue, 29 June 2004 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone actually explain the advantage of these over firmer/more rigid engine mounts?
The only advantage I can see is that it might be easier to fit than new engine mounts, & they look fully sick. Smile But hey, if they come on some cars standard, there must be more too it, surely.
Has anyone seen them standard on newer cars? If not (I havn't), maybe they've just been replaced by better & higher tech engine mounts/rubber, better mounting points & positions maybe, who knows, but with the importance placed on limiting NHV (noise,harshness,vibration) levels increasing in newer cars, I'd be suprised if they offer anything that can't be achieved with better mounting.

That's something I've noticed about my dads v6 vectra, the engine has very little movement when revved (paticularily compared to my motor with its shagged out mounts) and it was built to be & is as smooth as buuter.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine dampners? Thu, 01 July 2004 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine dampners? Thu, 01 July 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's all about NVH. Rigid engine mounts will locate the engine solidly, but they transfer a lot of NVH to the chassis. The use of an engine dampener allows the use of softer engine mounts without allowing the engine to flop around.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engine dampners? Sat, 03 July 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then there is the old trick of welding a rigid bit of metal to the strut top so the motor cant twist at all Smiley =
toynado
Regular

May 2004
Re: engine dampners? Mon, 05 July 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Mon, 28 June 2004 17:45

my corona avante had one on the 22r-e on the passanger side from the cross member to the engine mount. looked at it for a little while then laugh at the engineering behind it.. guess it just shows how much of a truck motor the 22r-e is no matter how much the old man next door keeps reminising about how the 'super responsive' motor was soo good for its time.

yeh, the leverage on that thing wuz pure bizarro wurld
i hear it makes putting the mount on a 2 man job
and one has to weigh 100+ kilos...

make a mount if you haf to
put it on top of the motor
do it the e z way...
much cheaper than damage from movement
which will happen at an inopportune moment no doubt
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine dampners? Mon, 05 July 2004 11:03 Go to previous message
Hey, I've thought of a good reason to have one! To save your brand new fully sick engine mounts from wearing out so quick! Very Happy

I'm still not putting one on my car. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how to identify between 4age engines?
Next Topic:4K-C head gasket
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:13:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061769485473633 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.