Classifieds » Miscellaneous » AE86 Bodykit (Homemade).....continued

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
AE86 Bodykit (Homemade).....continued Sat, 26 June 2004 15:06 Go to next message
Hi, everyone!
After watching the creation of the other ae86 bodykit in the for sale forum... i was so inspired... i simply had to try in my self! Very Happy
So here it goes....
I first cut the stock AE86 bumper to give it a better look with a larger mouth/opening....which is great for intercoolers too!
Very Happy While doin this i still wanted to keep all the bolt positions so that i wouldn't loose any structral integrity. Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 02:46]

Send a private message to this user    
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IN "Adding-Lip" pic i made the lip using a piece from another bumper... Rolling Eyes clearly tooo long.... Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Sat, 26 June 2004 15:55]

DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pics futher down... Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 26 June 2004 15:57]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, nice effort... Just a tip. Save your images as jpegs. It is a much more efficient format. Bitmaps (what you have) take up heaps of space.

Your pics should be much bigger and still less than 100kb.

Repost the pics. I wanna see better. Smile
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razz Razz Razz I'm a nO0B at postin pics!!!

[Updated on: Sat, 26 June 2004 16:03]

DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thanks for the advice...Will do! Smile

(I'll resumit the first 3 pics in jpeg, so there easyer to see)
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are the pics now in Jpeg... nice and big! Very Happy

Attachment: Cut-Stock.JPG
(Size: 31.98KB, Downloaded 625 time(s))
Attachment: Adding-Lip.JPG
(Size: 27.54KB, Downloaded 612 time(s))
Attachment: Added-Lip.JPG
(Size: 20.88KB, Downloaded 618 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 02:16]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks suprisingly good, nice work. Keep us updated how it turns out. Hmm if I only had more free time..
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is wat u been waiting for....The kit on the car!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Attachment: Front bar-pic1.JPG
(Size: 45.03KB, Downloaded 608 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 02:15]

DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another angle... Nice huh?? Tell me what you think. Rolling Eyes

Attachment: Front bar-pic 2.JPG
(Size: 32.85KB, Downloaded 595 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 02:19]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its looking mean! Now the hard part is making a peice to go on the inside edge of the bumper cut-out to make it look integral. Right now it gives an optical illusion of having a step there.
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confused ??? Confused What do you mean?
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking good Smile
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=5248

your lower section has been molded so that the opening is shaped inwards, and the bumper also has that higher up where the original opening used to be. However lower down where the bumper just been cut theres just a hole instead of a lip that goes in. Know what I mean?

Attachment: fbar.jpg
(Size: 17.74KB, Downloaded 686 time(s))

45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Shocked
what the hella car is that lip from? or is it after market???

looks mighty fine!
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sat, 26 June 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey I forgot to ask, whats this doing in the for sale section?
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man i cant belive u did dis JT but i guess you talk about it enough that giving it a go would be expected Razz

Good luck with the rest of the kit...keep us posted

Choony
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mebbe its in the for sale section because he will be selling copies soon! Very Happy

any chance u can make an airduct on the drivers side? Wink
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is an awesome effort for a home job. I know how hard these kind of things are to make.
I do Industrial Design at uni I have to make scale prototypes of my designs.
It usually takes weeks to come up with something presentable. Getting all the angles and sections to look integrated as one is the hardest part. http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the feed bak guyz! Smile

-Sam Q... i know wat you are talkin about... i'm yet to fit that...but will do! Very Happy
-45aken... The "lip" isn't really a lip from another car... its actully a piece from the top part of a rear bumper from a camery. Shocked (inovation at its greatest!) Razz
-Choony_AE86... Sup Choony.. how ya holidays? You know me man... I'll try it if i think i can do it! So if anyone else thinks they hav wat it takes... i suggest you do it! Its not that hard... it just takes time and planing. (Masking tape is ur best friend! Laughing )
-Arch... I'll look into puting a airduct on "ONLY" the drivers side... i also am thinking about gettin copies made if enough people like it.. or someone wants to make the copy???
-SIMDOG... i guess u know the time it takes to design and create something like this... i'm sure u got skillz... u should give it a try too! Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRFTAE86 wrote on Sun, 27 June 2004 14:35

SIMDOG... i guess u know the time it takes to design and create something like this...
i'm sure u got skillz... u should give it a try too!

I've thought about it quite a few times... The bumpers on the Cressida are not hard
plastic so using them as a base is really dodgy because they are kinda rubbery.

Having said that... If someone can locate me a front bumper for an MX83 I will DEFINITELY
show you what a mad homemade airdam would look like. Evil or Very Mad

I am not doing one for a car I don't own. Too much effort for something I wont be able
to use myself. Sad
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough...a rubber bumper would be hard to work with. Mad
But any one with AE86 stock bumper should give it a go... The "hard plastic" is easy to work with. Smile I bought a fibre glass fit today and should be fibreing up that bumper soon. Very Happy
I'm also thinking of making a lip for the rear bumper too???...I'll see how that goes.

***HOLLA OUT TO 'KAO' FOR TAKING THE PICS FOR ME***
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fibre glass is tough shit to sand or cut when set.
Don't plan to sand big bits by hand. Smile

And, wear a mask. When I used to make my models without a mask I felt sick for about a fortnight afterwards.
I realised that I was giving my lungs a good coating of paint and MDF dust. Embarassed Rolling Eyes No such problems
now that I have my dust AND vapour mask. Very Happy
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find that a grinder with a flapper wheel works exceptionaly well on fiberglass. It does however throw up an obscene amount of fiberglass dust so as Simdog says use a mask.
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advise guys.... i will most definatly take all safety steps needed when doing the fibre glassing. Smile
-I've had a few suggestion in regards to futher modifing the front bumper....
1- To increase the size of the air split(thin opening) above the mouth... like on the cby front bar.
2- To modify the bumper to hold a different pair of 'longer' indicator lenses.
3- To add a air hole to the drivers side of the bumper (and only to the drivers side).

I will attemp to under go these 3 modifications over the next week before i begin fibre glassing the bumper and If you have any more suggestions, please tell me asap.
Thanks. Very Happy
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Sun, 27 June 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey there

i think that u should leave the indicators the way they are, if u do change them to longer ones, and decide to make copies, ppl will have to buy new lenses. meaning more cost, but really meaning they wont buy it possibly.

just suggestion.

the other ideas are great, keep up with the good work!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Mon, 28 June 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome man! Well done on a really good effort. Lemme know when it's done so I can buy one!

And yeah, do a rear one too!
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Mon, 28 June 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch... you make a good point...i don't know anyone who can/would make a copy of my kit though?? Rolling Eyes ... But i will keep the stock indicators just in case (and i can't really be bother changing them Laughing )
Any more suggestions guyz! Smile
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Tue, 29 June 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guyz....I have just finished increasing the size of the upper slit of the front bar...its about the same size as the slit on the CBY front bars. I will post more pics soon. Very Happy I have also fixed the "problem/difference" that 'Sam Q' pointed out. Smile
Futher more i designed and finished the 'add-on' to the rear bumper (after a few diiferent desgins failed. Confused
(PICS BELOW ARE OF THE FAILED BUMPER ADD-ON)
('FAILED' MEANING I DIDN'T LIKE IT!)
***The new one looks better to me...pics of that to come soon***

Attachment: Failed-rear add-on.JPG
(Size: 17.07KB, Downloaded 113 time(s))
Attachment: Failed-rear add-on1.JPG
(Size: 30.09KB, Downloaded 88 time(s))

Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Wed, 30 June 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woah yeh that is a pretty ugly rear bumper man
geez whats wrong with you?
disgrace!
but the front looks good..! Razz
keep it up

PS: make me one? plz? i pay u with GOOODDDD LUVVINN! Very Happy
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade)!!! Wed, 30 June 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haahahhah.....Sorry Chonny.....
......Minimum purchase of $10 when paying with goood lovin Twisted Evil

*Here are pics of the more "open" upper slit....
I tried to use the design similar to 'Katsuiro Ueo' AE86 front bar. Rolling Eyes

Attachment: d1_ueo.jpg
(Size: 27.31KB, Downloaded 80 time(s))
Attachment: frnt1.JPG
(Size: 12.74KB, Downloaded 76 time(s))
Attachment: front-a.JPG
(Size: 23.21KB, Downloaded 67 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 02:36]

DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: AE86 Bodykitm (Homemade).... continued Mon, 05 July 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guyz.....
I have just finished fibre-glassin and body fillin my front bar..... got to sand it down soon.... Sad
Anyway i now have pics of my "proto-type" rear bar(work in progess)....its based on a rear bar that was posted in another bodykit post i found here.... i liked the design so i tryed to copy it. Very Happy
Tell me wat you think??? Rolling Eyes
(Sorry about the quality of the pics... used a camera phone) Confused

Attachment: rear1.JPG
(Size: 13.57KB, Downloaded 81 time(s))
Attachment: milkyshi-img600x450-1073833185dscf0006.jpg
(Size: 39.20KB, Downloaded 90 time(s))
Attachment: rear2.JPG
(Size: 14.32KB, Downloaded 73 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 02:40]

old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AE86 Bodykit (Homemade).....continued Mon, 05 July 2004 09:16 Go to previous message
prepare to make some money!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:"price reduction on all celica parts/must sell!"
Next Topic:18rg/geu rebuild kits
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 14:46:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010887145996094 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.