Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
mods for 1G Tue, 06 July 2004 10:30 Go to next message
hey all,

just bought a 1GGTE GZ20 soarer and its not fast enuf, I am a bit strapped for cash atm and currently my ideas span as far as an Air Filter and Zorst.

I am thinking of getting a boost controller and guage and winding that up, how far can i go with stock computer and internals? Before and After Exhaust and Filter
  Send a private message to this user    
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: mods for 1G Tue, 06 July 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have not modified a 1GGTE before, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. I have however been involved with a number of other engines in my time, and I have learned:

* first thing to do is check it's in good order (service and tune)
* second thing is a full 3" exhaust system (not just a 'cat back')
* third thing is probably increase the boost, but get this done by a professional on a dyno or you risk blowing up your engine and costing yourself a small fortune replacing the engine
* fourth is an air filter - I would probably get this done in conjunction with the boost though as the differing restriction will probably affect your boost levels and air/fuel ratios.

Beyond that you would need to look at larger injectors (7MGTE/RX7), a big single turbo, a big fuel system, and aftermarket management (all at once).
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: mods for 1G Tue, 06 July 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All of those mods seem to be fairly on the mark, however I am going for the Pimp Mobile Look instead of the boy racer so I am going a Big Fat Dump pipe and then from there a dual 2.5 inch mandrel bent system with four pipes at the end.

Any ideas on where to get it tuned?
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Tue, 06 July 2004 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

whats said above is all true...

You can wind the boost up, but no more then 14 psi. No point i think the turbos run out of puff after this and there is a fuel cut at 14.5psi ...correct me if i am wrong anyone
If you still have money after the full 3 inch exaust,filter and boost controller, an intercooler is a good investment. The stock one is ok as far as i know but aftermarket cooler will definelty be a benefit. After that things get really expensive..

Also some people find that they run really rich. If this becomes a problem in your case you could do what i did and istall the APexi Safc to controll fuel mixtures.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: mods for 1G Tue, 06 July 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want the pimp mobile look then why bother making it fast?

I like fast cars but I used to own a gz20 soarer and basically if you want something really fast the only option is an engine conversion. the 2l is simply not torquey enough down low for the weight.

if you want a little more speed do what 7m-brisbane suggested.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is pretty much a stock GEN3. I have a 2.5in exhaust, a pod type airfilter and a standard GA70 cooler. I am running about 16psi and it has 149kw at the wheels.

Boost cut will vary with different air flow meters. I don't think the ECU has a "fuel cut" as such. I think it is just sucking too much air past the afm and seeing that as a fault.

Depending on the temp/humidity, I can run mine at 17psi without any cut out. I am going to turn it down to 12-14psi soon though, just as soon as I get a few more jolleys. Very Happy
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I aslo would like to back up goldie on this one. what I thought was boost cut in the pass would now seem more likely to be the afm maybe maxing out. after all they have no pressure sensor as such
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK GOOD CALL FOR THE AFM ,

NOW THE QUESTION ARISES ,

WHAT OTHER AFM WILL BE SUITABLE FOR THE 1G-GTE ENGINE , WITHOUT ANY OTHER MODS DONE TO MAKE THE CAR RUN ,

also MR IGGTE , theres no way u gonna get 4 pipes in the arse end of the car , go home and look under the rear bumper bar and u will see why ???????

well iil tell u anway , the bootwell extends on to the driver side in the rear of the car , sop theres no place to fit any tips , mufflers etc in there ,

i als thoughtof that only to be dissapointed in the end

also my soarer only got 92kw atw on a dyno

i sggest u first check ur timing , THEY TEND TO GO OUT MSTLY ,

THEN UR AIRFILTER MINE WAS BLACK AS COAL

another thing is these cars run rich like a pig when bosted , thus robbing heaps of power out

so fellas who here runs a atmoventing bov on the 1g-gte

ps---- boyan its steve here ,mate , good to see u joined
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 11:55

I did but I had an auto gz20. still never stalled or anything. Only bought it because I was too stupid do some research before purchase Smile
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh indian, for the record too i got 90kw atw on my dyno run the otehr day but my air/fuel went straight down to 9 Razz

i found i had a bodgy oxy sensor and seems to be running alot better now, couldnt make it to dyno day to get another power figure with it in.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah dude i got the same auto as well , u got to be kidding about a manual o9ne as they bloody rare , i alredy have the bov just wondering weter itll work , so beforwe i fit it i got to get some stock intercooler piping so if it fucks up i can put my stock piping back and have the car run again ,k so if anyone selling stock intercooler piping for the 1g-gte lemme know

eveil jack lloks like i made 2kw more lollll , but ur right my friend , they run too rich and thats the main problem , my afr was 10 though , but the dynoguy said thats the lowest his computer woul read , so i dunno if nminewas any worse

cheers
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will notice problems with a atmo venting blowoff valve wheel using light accelerater on the highway and releasing it and getting a shudder.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 11:55

WHAT OTHER AFM WILL BE SUITABLE FOR THE 1G-GTE ENGINE , WITHOUT ANY OTHER MODS DONE TO MAKE THE CAR RUN ,

another thing is these cars run rich like a pig when bosted , thus robbing heaps of power out

1. why would you want to change just the AFM? I cant see why you would need to. If all you want to do is get rid of the fuel cut, then modify the existing one.

2. all toyota turbo engines run super rich even at standard boost. They do this to prevent detonation. Nothing robs power like a molten piston. I wouldn't play with the mixtures too much without a good wideband oxy sensor.

3. I got a turbosmart atmo BOV and have never had any problems with it.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i was told the same thing until he opened the door and another dial said 9 Rolling Eyes
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well someone just mentioned the afm maxes out , so a biger one might get rid of the boost cut ( just my thoughts )

goldie how do u modify the existing afm

and how many pounds boobs, i mean boost are u running im still at stock ,

finally i know fora 100% sue theres no stock bov on the 1g-gte engine

but

when accelerating harder than usual and letting g off the accelerator to sow down or get to required speed i hear a hissing noise coming from the engine bay
what the hell is that ,

anyone know or have the same with their 1g-gte

thing has got me stumped for sure
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I got the print out of my one and it hits a dead line at 10 but i saw the dial and it said 9, and my power curve goes to shit until the a/f comes back above 10 and then it starts coming back up..
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lolll anyway we can get the dyno sheet up on this site then i can put mine and u put urs and see what the hell happened , eah after i got the spec sheet i looked at the afr and theresa lot of number 10 in there few 12 which is supposed to be the right mixture well 12.5 to be precise , and all mine said was bloody 10 mostly few 12 and 11 here and there
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 13:36

well someone just mentioned the afm maxes out , so a biger one might get rid of the boost cut ( just my thoughts )

but

when accelerating harder than usual and letting g off the accelerator to sow down or get to required speed i hear a hissing noise coming from the engine bay
what the hell is that ,

anyone know or have the same with their 1g-gte

thing has got me stumped for sure

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats that supposed to mean
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers ppl, i have another question though, my car is idiling like absolute shit, but it is not back firing, would that have anything to do with the oxygen sensors or the timing?

I have run three treatments of fuel injector cleaner through it already.

It idles like a pooey rotary with heaps of overlap

buurp buurp....
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 13:36

but

what the hell is that , anyone know or have the same with their 1g-gte thing has got me stumped for sure

I am running 15-16psi. My AFM maxed out at 17psi. How hard do you want to run thoes poore little turbos anyway.

For the AFM mods, look for a post with a title something like "12c fCD" Joel (bigworm) did this to his 1J cressie.

The hissing noise could be a manifold leak or just the pressure trying to get back past the compressor.

oh and sorry for the previous post, i pressed the wrong button Embarassed

[Updated on: Wed, 07 July 2004 04:15]

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark me dead hope its not a leak , but wait if its lealing then shouldnt it affect idle , mine idles perfectly , ok whats the reading on boost gauge when idling anyone

as for bad idling mr 1g - did u by any chance over fill te engine with oil , i did it and it idled like shit with smoke pouring ut the back like a bushfire had started in the boot

otherwise can be vaccum leak or clogged injector
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=33819&rid=1334&S=bec76457829dd9a01cdcce1 b9589303c&pl_view=&start=0#msg_297355
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
icon8.gif  Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm looks pretty scary and asking for trouble from what i can see
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just for reference sake my turbos blew running 11psi. They had been rebuilt before so maybe it was a dodgy rebuild? the engine had 170000kms on it.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW isn't that FCD for MAP sensored cars not AFM?

and it was 40c Razz
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm mines got 82,000ks on it now , buti du trust the odometer , te car runs like it been running for 100,000ks or more
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was the only one i could find that had fcd and by bigworm in it Razz
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im pretty sure thats what goldie was reffering to
but looks a bit dodgy to me ,

is there any other way to lean out the fuel other than the safc , im getting the older model type 1 soon

i was told u can fiddle around the afm and getit to run leaner , someonehere did that and went to 113 or so from 94 kw

is that person around here now ?????????
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant see your afm maxing out being a problem, toy77 is running i big single with standard comp, injectors and the afm is not really a problem, mind you it would be close too maxing out, but he would have significantly more air flow running through hes than yours
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 14:41

and it was 40c Razz

chris, the 1g has a map sensor as well under the plenium, used only for boost,
Yeeehah
Regular

May 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pull off the fuel press regulator and see if it still runs rich.

my 2c worth.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 16:07

Chris Davey wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 14:41

and it was 40c Razz

chris, the 1g has a map sensor as well under the plenium, used only for boost,

thanks mate Smile learn something new every day Smile
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 09:26

because fast pimp mobiles are where it's AT!!!
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day Steve...yeh I finally was able to join...had some problems with the password..as for the blow off valve why don't you try the GFB HYbrid...you still get the noise but apparently 50% plums back and 50% is vented to atmosphere.. That should work on our engines..the only problem is the price Confused

Goldie does yours run rich with that much boost...and how does the intercooler cope..

Does anyone know if i will get anything if i put the bigger Gen3 injectors on a Gen2 motor when i boost it to 14psi????
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep it does run rich. I didn't get air/fuel ratios from dyno day, so I can't tell you for sure, but previously I was getting 9-10AFR on 9psi.

I have never measured the inlet temps, so I am assuming that the IC is satisfactory. They aren't the best flowing around, but they seem fine for what I want. Ben "Siktoy ra23" was running around 180rwkw with a standard cooler. He does have an aftermarket computer to get it running that well though.

turn the boost up and measure the injector duty cycle. If it needs bigger injectors then change them. Otherwise spend your money elsewhere.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 08:56

Becuase if i dont get to the street corner fast enuf then who will know?

wheresmybitches!

Also i want some more power, I would be stoked with about 190-200 kw at the flywheel and I am wondering if some more boost 12-14psi, a zorst and a filter will give that too me.

I should be getting it tuned at Turbo Tune on thier dyno next week and they might be able to sort out the problems I am haiving
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should be able to get there given 14psi. This is roughly 150rwkW which seems to be what most gen3 1G's are capable of. A better intercooler will help a lot there too.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: mods for 1G Wed, 07 July 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well there we go , cars gonna run rich for sure , we need safc to get running without the lack smoke shit happening ,

anyone here know weter the type1 safc without the blue screen will work with the soarer generation2 , there only a listing for 1g-ge in the safc manual nothing for the 1g-gte Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mods for 1G Thu, 08 July 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here are some slight mods for a 1g

Quote:

Have recently completed putting together my new car, being a 1GGTE corolla with 5 speed box etc, engine is fitted with custom plenum, custom heat wrapped extractors, 600hp Garrett Ball bearing turbo with polished cover etc etc. On 15psi it has made 325rwhp, 24psi 406rwhp and 28psi 431rwhp, I am now improving my setup and would like to sell everything but the engine and box. Basically you get:

Basically new 600hp roller, polished with exhaust bag
Custom extractors to suit
Custom dump pipe to suit
45mm turbosmart gate
Oil lines
4" Pod filter
Powder coated candy blue intercooler pipes with hoses and clamps
Micks Metal Craft 600x300x73 cooler with mounts
Custom polished plenum with XF Throttle body
Engine mounts and gearbox mounts to mount in KE70, may fit others
Radiator, thermo fan, mounts and hoses to suit

Basically you get everything needed to bolt into a car except engine box and computer, every single piece is immaculate and only a few weeks old, I am selling due to upgrading to Aluminium radiator, 700 roller and water to air intercooler, and have a spare set of mounts and intake, please only genuine interested buyers and no one asking how it was done and questions as such, do not have pictures, can arrange for people to see it in the car, or if interstate can send pictures, or possible arrange pics to email. Please phone 0410 730 598 as I am not on PF that often till my computer is up and running again.

$5000 no offers.
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: mods for 1G Thu, 08 July 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can one of you 1g-gte buffs send me some pics of the turbo side of the engine, i wanna see what the turbo setup looks like. could come in handy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: mods for 1G Thu, 08 July 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the turbos on or off?

i can get a pic of one with them on.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: mods for 1G Thu, 08 July 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
better rich than lean, besides my mate who is a computer whizz can remap my ecu for $200
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: mods for 1G Thu, 08 July 2004 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 09 July 2004 00:02

better rich than lean, besides my mate who is a computer whizz can remap my ecu for $200

you sure about the remapping? AFAIK most toyota ECU's are locked unlike the nissan ones.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: mods for 1G Fri, 09 July 2004 02:48 Go to previous message
I am not an expert on computers so i am unsure what would happen but he said that he would either build me a piggyback computer from scratch to work in conjunction with my old computer or he would build me an entire new computer from scratch and throw out the old one.

What happens, is the first time you start the car you take it to redline and it sets a perfectly clean fuel mixture for each rev on the range. Obviously it only goes as far as your injectors and fuel pump allow.

Good system nonetheless.

P.S. Not quite as good as a SAFC or Motec System but a shitload cheaper.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:blue top question
Next Topic:Cam specs for HKS/Toda/Turbo A on 7M-GTE engines
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:47:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073339939117432 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.