Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4k turbo???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nick_ke36
Occasional Poster

June 2004
icon5.gif  4k turbo??? Mon, 05 July 2004 04:24 Go to next message
has any one turbo'ed a 4k engine before? I am just enquiring so i can begin to collect the parts for this set up. I would like to know how much i can boost this little engine? As i know they are strong old f*%#ers and i find this an interesting concept, for my corolla. I was interested in a reliable set up some thing like a blow threw system and a small to medium turbo, this will be driven every day. any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

thanks nick Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4k turbo??? Mon, 05 July 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crank is strong, the original Repco pistons suck.
the ACL aftermarket ones seem ok, but not sure how they would go in a boosted setup.
blow through is pretty archaic... a cheap programmable ECU and EFI would be much better. use 4KE or 7KE EFI setup.

Angela has a turbo 5K with turbo mounted on dizzy side of motor.
i'm convince i could fit a T25 on the manifold side.. will see..

not many ppl have bothered with turbo 4K's, but would be an interesting project. not so good in bang for buck tho.

go for it Wink

Cya, Stewart
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4k turbo??? Mon, 05 July 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shaddow edge used to have an ET pulsar turbo and SU carb on manifolds that he would just bolt onto stock wrecker 3K motors and drive until they blew up, then do it all over again. the things would run all day on 6psi, 8psi reduced longevity, and they'd go bang at 10psi

don't use repco pistons, they crack. most 4Ks had contract repcos, look up the skirts for the repco logo. you can usually get japanese factory pistons out of 3K motors, these are known to last longer but are still 30-odd years old. acl and federal mogul make factory replacement cast pistons. i've heard of someone pulling apart a 4K which had motorbike forgies in it, you'd have to go thru a bike piston catalog to find a piston with the correct pin height, pin diameter and a useable bore. all of which are available in the acl catalog for reference, downloadable in pdf from their website. if you find an applicable bike forgie, let us know!
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4k turbo??? Mon, 05 July 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friends father has an awesome vintage clubman with a mighty 3K in it - runs on avgas, has a rather large cam, heavily ported head (unknown specs) and twin 40mm sidedraft webbers! Very Happy .

His pistons were some Triumph ones, but he doesn't know the exact spec. When one had problems (burnt or cracked, can't remeber) he had to get another one custom made, was about $300 I think.
The 3k goes pretty well - around 140Hp and in a 400kg car thats pretty damn quick Smile
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: 4k turbo??? Tue, 06 July 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
400kg ey....
Rob20v
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: 4k turbo??? Tue, 06 July 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made up a turbo for a 3k I used to race. I used the 3k because I had one that was only 8.5:1 compression ratio and it still allowed me to run in 2 litre class. I manufactered an inlet manifold and mounted the turbo on top towards the front with a cd stromberg carb, although if I did another on I would'nt use a carby I would go EFI. I used a jap Garret turbo off a 300zx and ran 8psi boost and raced it for almost a year without any trouble. It had great improvement at top end and drove well. I don't know how a 4k would go because the comp ratio might be a little high. Also need to fit oil drain in sump. Just make sure you don't run it lean as the pistons in 4k'sare not the greatest.
A heap of work good luck. Rob20v.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4k turbo??? Tue, 06 July 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Tue, 06 July 2004 19:35

400kg ey....

Yep - it's in a clubman originally built in 1968/69. It's about 480Kg with my mate driving and it's awesome. Not really road registerable/drivable though. Still, it gets around Mallala in 1min 18secs Shocked .
KE30_Coupe
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4k turbo??? Sat, 14 August 2004 13:15 Go to previous message
hey rob20v i got a 3k-c motor and im instrusted in that turbo setup you made how much would you ask for it does it bolt straight on would you even consider making me a manifold for a turbo?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:compatible injector plugs for 4agze?
Next Topic:Why am I crunching 2nd to 3rd gear ??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:23:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044858455657959 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.