Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Wed, 07 July 2004 09:04 Go to next message
Two of my friends are arguing over a question i dont know the answer to. It probably sounds stupid to most of you but it would be good to put one of them in their place. Anyway....

Q. Does driving at 60kmh in 5th gear on a flat road damage your engine/gear box????

Ive always done it and many people i know do as well. Would like to hear what everyone else thinks or knows.

Thanks
André
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Wed, 07 July 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course
driving at any speed damages your engine and gearbox.

as for what you really mean - that would depend on the engine and gbox and weight of car and rolling diameter. A 5.7 litre hsv would be happy, 'cause it's making 200nm of torque at idle anyway.

A little 20v 4a-ge would be less happy going 60 in 5th, esp in a heavier car.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Wed, 07 July 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EnFlaMEd wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 19:04

Two of my friends are arguing over a question i dont know the answer to. It probably sounds stupid to most of you but it would be good to put one of them in their place. Anyway....

Q. Does driving at 60kmh in 5th gear on a flat road damage your engine/gear box????

Ive always done it and many people i know do as well. Would like to hear what everyone else thinks or knows.

Thanks
André

not in the slightest.

it will wear it, like normal driving, wont "damage" it

your friends are morons.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 July 2004 09:10]

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
It all depends on the gear ratios in the gearbox... Some cars yes, it will be fine, other cars the engine will ping and that it no good...

If you are in to higher gear at a low speed and you hear pinging, change to a lower gear and be on your way...
davatron
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Wed, 07 July 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also depend how much load you put on the engine, if your just cruising along would be alright, but i wouldn't try to accelerate quickly.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Wed, 07 July 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with rolla boy... me stock ta22 in 5th @ 60 is like just over 1500rpm ad my car start to struggle so personally me i wouldnt do it in my car unless it downhill, but even then i got it in neutral

my rule of thumb is this:

Quote:

if i want to do speed X, then i will accelerate till speed X and then select the gear that will allow me to do speed X and RPM sitting between 2000-2500... THATS CRUISING TO ME

therefore if im doing 60 im in 4th for me TA22
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Wed, 07 July 2004 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes the earth will implod and man kind will be forever gone!
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Wed, 07 July 2004 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe if the engine was just rebuilt but otherwise not much chance of anything major hapning
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Wed, 07 July 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Not on the flat. But if there are a few hills around, then you will need to lower gears to stop the engine from labouring or pinging.

But, this stupid 50kph speed limit is a bummer. My car don't like going at 50kays in 5th gear, and she's not too pleased doing it in 4th - unless its pretty flat. Unfortunately there are a few hills around where I live and I find that I'm usually in 3rd gear most of the time.

Hehehe. You can always tell the manual gearbox cars... they're the ones going down the steep hill at only 50kays without braking, while all the autos jam up behind them.

seeyuzz
river
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Wed, 07 July 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're right, it is a stupid argument Razz .

My used to drive his TA22 Celica around everywhere in the city in 5th - at around 1800rpm. It certainly didn't hurt the engine - the mighty twin cam had done over 350,000 km's without ever being rebuilt, just regularly serviced. It always started first time, and only blew the tiniest bit of smoke when first started/cold. Sadly it was a shitty brown colour with a vinyl roof and much rust so despite it's reliability was always called "the poo mobile". Laughing
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Thu, 08 July 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ute *can* sit on 60-70 in 6th gear but only on flat. but by the same token I'm not accerating at all. it idles at 850rpm at 60km/h in 6th and is pushing along. it also appears that the computer won't let the engine drop below idle whilst rolling which is kind of strange to explain.
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Thu, 08 July 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have heard somewhere taht being in 5th under 80km/h isnt healthy for your engine...it wears it out slightly quicker. not really a big pain, but not good in the long run really.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Thu, 08 July 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Lancer cruses at 50 in 5th fine on a flat road. Doesn't ping or sound bad at all (apart from the general bad sounds I get from it). If I need to go faster it's a quick visit to 3rd though or it's a very long painful trip up to 60 and if I'm not running 97 RON I ping all the way... so 3rd gear to go faster usually.

Based on my foolproof and very scientific (Confused) analysis, it doesn't damage your engine! Razz
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Fri, 09 July 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers people
most of your responses are pretty much what i thought anyway. Ill relay the info to my "moron" friends and hopefully sought this out!
Cheers andre
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Sat, 10 July 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh, moron friends... Everyone loves to hate them Smile Smile Smile ...
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Sat, 10 July 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Sat, 10 July 2004 12:47

Ahhh, moron friends... Everyone loves to hate them Smile Smile Smile ...

I know I do!
Byatch
Regular

October 2003
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Sat, 10 July 2004 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy

It all depends on the gear ratios in the gearbox... Some cars yes, it will be fine, other cars the engine will ping and that it no good...

If you are in to higher gear at a low speed and you hear pinging, change to a lower gear and be on your way...

ummm, it's my understanding that pinging is detonation of fuel/air mix before effective TDC, in which case that would be a timing / fuel problem.

i mean, i can drive along at 50km/h in 5th up a soft hill and not ping. doesn't mean it's doing my engine any good tho.

i don't think that your gearbox is going to care what gear your in at what speed. so long as you aren't throwing it between gears with no clutch, of giving it too much power, it should be fine..

or so i understand.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Sat, 10 July 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fro-Daddy wrote on Thu, 08 July 2004 12:49

i have heard somewhere taht being in 5th under 80km/h isnt healthy for your engine...it wears it out slightly quicker. not really a big pain, but not good in the long run really.

well according to my owners manual for my toyota camry on page 51, (the one that came out way back in 89) it recomeneds changeing from 4th to 5th at aprox 72km/h (3S-FE) and changing down from 5th to 4th at aprox 50km/h. mine will sit at 2,000rpm in 5th at 60km/h doesn't seem to hurt it. it's when the car starts to labour (lugging) when it is bad as this can cause the motor to ping, were as if you wan't the motor to wear quickly you'd be reving the guts out of the motor reving it to maxium speed in gear constantly. it also depands on what sort of car too, there all different. driving with an engine speed too low or too high isn't good

[Updated on: Sat, 10 July 2004 15:46]

JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Sat, 10 July 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my oppinion is that you pussys should drive at 60k/h in 3rd gear like real men. are you car enthusiasts or economy enthusiasts. Evil or Very Mad
matty.
Byatch
Regular

October 2003
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Sun, 11 July 2004 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can't i be both?

hell, maybe even put me under enviromental enthusiast!?

(definitely not a car INSURANCE enthusiast.<<------ Shuddup aliance Razz )
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Sun, 11 July 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JDM hachi wrote on Sun, 11 July 2004 09:14

my oppinion is that you pussys should drive at 60k/h in 3rd gear like real men. are you car enthusiasts or economy enthusiasts. Evil or Very Mad
matty.

Hrm... JDM Hatchi huh... I guess that means you have an 86? Yeah, well some cars have actual torque down low and don't need to be in 3rd at 60. Evil or Very Mad
Laughing
I'm just kidding, more powerfull cars tend to have longer gear ratios anyway.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Stupid Argument. Whats your opinion? Sun, 11 July 2004 03:55 Go to previous message
JDM hachi wrote on Sun, 11 July 2004 09:14

matty.

Laughing is that the best you can do! Razz (just kidding). I haved the camry doing 60km/h in 2nd and the WB ute (6-cyl) at 60km/h in 1st!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Which Petrol is better
Next Topic:FX GT corolla's in Aus???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 19:56:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064160823822021 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.