Toymods » General Car Talk » Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 00:14 Go to next message
Hi everyone
I just got off the phone with dyno dynamics after everyones critiscizing of my cars dyno run done in 3rd gear.
After a long conversion with the dyno dynamics guy it turns out that the dyno run was done in the right gear.
the theory that the dyno in shootout mode has to be done to your closest 1:1 ratio is infact false.
For shootout mode to be run correctly it needs to have its full acceleration between 100 and 140 km/h.
so that means total output of my car in 3rd gear IS 200kw.
I know im going to get flamed for this... but meh, ill trust the words from dyno themselves over anyone in this forum, I mean who is more trustworthy than the creators themselves?

Just thought id clear that up.
this might also explain why when zoom or hpi did the tests on their 1jz's why they got the power levels they did.

Johal

http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/johal_dyno.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 00:14]

Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and for comarisons sake a mates 1jz gte was also done in 3rd gear in shootout mode same as mine.
Has
malpassi fuel regulator
high flow turbo's with steel wheels running 13 psi
full 3 inch exhaust
made same power as my car on the dyno
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 05 July 2004 10:20

and for comarisons sake a mates 1jz gte was also done in 3rd gear in shootout mode same as mine.
Has
malpassi fuel regulator
full 3 inch exhaust

But did they modify the machine at all? Does he have an r154 and same driveline as you?

3rd gear in a 4 speed auto is where the 1:1 ratio is i believe...so maybe that guy is smoking something?
For interests sake, id go and do it in 4th gear Wink

r154 4th gear is 1:1
http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/technical/R154.ht m

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2004 08:16]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just another reason to not judge a car by its dyno output..
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Mon, 05 July 2004 18:15

Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 05 July 2004 10:20

Has
malpassi fuel regulator
full 3 inch exhaust

But did they modify the machine at all? Does he have an r154 and same driveline as you?

3rd gear in a 4 speed auto is where the 1:1 ratio is i believe...so maybe that guy is smoking something?
For interests sake, id go and do it in 4th gear Wink

r154 4th gear is 1:1
http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/technical/R154.ht m

yes.. he is running an r154 with a manual f series diff
not lsd but same ratio
and no.. the dyno guy said thats how they would do it in a real dyno comp
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61

Jag7799 is spot on !
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont doubt the dyno run at all, as far as i know, the peak power would be pretty much the same in either 3rd or 4th...

where are dyno dynamics based (not a dyno place, but the company who makes/distributes those dyno's) their ph no or url?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are in melbourne
just search on google for 'dyno dynamics' it will be the 1st one
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thetoyman75 wrote on Mon, 05 July 2004 22:16

V8_MA61

Jag7799 is spot on !

please elaborate why im spot on? hehe
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 05 July 2004 22:35

thetoyman75 wrote on Mon, 05 July 2004 22:16

V8_MA61

Jag7799 is spot on !

please elaborate why im spot on? hehe

yes please do? Razz
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
see their web site <http://www.dyno.com.au/shootout.htm>...

as as noted on the sheet and their web site - operator plugs in what kind of car/engine, gear it's in, tyre pressure, and the computer compensates for some other basic stuff like air temp and baro pressure - dyno computer then does the rest without much operator intervention.

I'd say that you could do a run in second gear- but possibly the dyno wouldn;t put enuf load on the engine at mid-range revs. fourth would have similar issues - too much load down at low rpm.

... personaly, the ra40 and the ma61 do feel pretty punchy in 3rd from around 2.5k rpm - where as in 4th, they both need to start at a higher point if you want to ramp up power output or desire quick acceleration ...

perhaps 3rd is better as it can generate the a wider rpm-versus-useful-power curve - whereas in 4th that range is likely to be compressed (for useful readings anyway) in the upper rev ranges?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude stop worring about these dyno figures and just take the car down the strip, then you can prove everyone right or wrong if it means that much too you.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Mon, 05 July 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now I have an AFM I can alter the set screw on ill be interested to see what ye ol' 7m does with 12:1 mixtures rather then 9.5:1 and worse Razz (thankfully still leaned out on cruise)

http://members.optushome.com.au/supra80/carstuff/DSC00386.JPG

anyone in vic got a wideband I can borrow?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But what gear was that in???

Razz Razz Razz
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3rd (auto)
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark sake, doesn't make a bees dick difference what gear it's in.
Dom Rigoli showed me himself on there dyno with my old 7M back to back. Same power different torque rating as it should be, that is all, move along.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 July 2004 01:32]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes.. so its settled my car has 200rwkw according to the dyno with evidence it was done correctly
maybe anyone who flamed me for it last time should go and get theirs done properly
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, This statement for Jag7799

Quote:

After a long conversion with the dyno dynamics guy it turns out that the dyno run was done in the right gear.
the theory that the dyno in shootout mode has to be done to your closest 1:1 ratio is infact false.
For shootout mode to be run correctly it needs to have its full acceleration between 100 and 140 km/h.
so that means total output of my car in 3rd gear IS 200kw.

is Correct !
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love it when i prove myself right after so long
i got sick of people telling me it was wrong.
i just wanted you to say it again toyman, thanks Smile hhehehe
must include this thread in my sig for future people who try prove me wrong Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 06 July 2004 12:15

i love it when i prove myself right after so long

Theres allways a first time and a last time!
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 06 July 2004 11:32

yes.. so its settled my car has 200rwkw according to the dyno with evidence it was done correctly
maybe anyone who flamed me for it last time should go and get theirs done properly

Jeez, after all the fuss that's been made of it - maybe you should get a t-shirt that reads "My car has 200Kw - at the rear wheels". Or maybe a badge with "200RwKw" on it to show people at parties and so on? Does the food taste better, the air get cleaner and the sun shine brighter and the women look at you more often now you know you've got the magic double ton? Razz Razz

I've always been curious because people just get fascinated with the power their car has. I think magazine articles and crap like that play a big role in some folks thinking their car isn't any good until they have some magic power figure* - I mean as long as you love it who cares?

*- The exception to this has always been a majority of Sprinter drivers who love their car no matter how piddly the engine is Laughing
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

*- The exception to this has always been a majority of Sprinter drivers who love their car no matter how piddly the engine is Laughing

Laughing so true Laughing
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im mostly wrong all the time.. so it feels good to be right for once
and its not so much that i care about the power figure.. i just posted it up ages ago and i got sick of people telling me to go get a real power figure.. so after a few more the other day i decided to find out the real truth
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough - I'm right all the time so being right just feels normal to me! Laughing

The main thin is - your car is farking quick. Cool After so long and much heartbreak you can now go out, feel that neck-snapping acceleration from a manual 1j, and know that a childhood dream of owning a fast car (that's not a Ford or Holden) has been fulfilled. It's a good feeling - enjoy it for as long as you can. Very Happy

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes enjoy it until you
1, get used to the power to where it isnt as much of a thrill(though i can still up it about another 3 psi safetely)
2, wrap the car around a pole and realise the 20 grand i have spent
on it is gone.
3, blow the engine up from being too mean to it(in which case would be a 2jz gte going into the car) though im not very mean to the car compared to some other 1j owners

Im hoping its one.. cause i can up the power levels with some more boost. and then if i do get bored its either high flows or a single Smile
car is great, i love it... im so glad i didnt go with the 1g gte cause of cost reasons
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm this is interesting allmost a clone!
http://www.supra.co.nz/dynosheets/148fuelpower.jpg
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://home.austarnet.com.au/parton/celica/117-1759_IMG.JPG

i got mine in third cause in my 5 spd box 4th goes past the limit of 200km/h on the dyno! (to about 230km/h)

Nezza Cool
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GE_Man wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 00:15

http://home.austarnet.com.au/parton/celica/117-1759_IMG.JPG

i got mine in third cause in my 5 spd box 4th goes past the limit of 200km/h on the dyno! (to about 230km/h)

Nezza Cool

you got urs done in 3rd cause its the right gear to do it in(to get the power around 100-140) in shootout mode..
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Tue, 06 July 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chassis dynos are a tuning tool and a engine dyno is the only way to get a correct horsepower figure. you should have 200kw at the wheels easily unless you have low boost! we can get over 600kw at the wheels before the dyno comps capped the revs, now its just around the 450kw at the wheels and thats from 2.3 litre engine as the class of racing the engine was set up we couldnt keep it at 2.5. horsepower is great but once you get to a set level with any engine it starts to cost mega dollars to get higher and keep it together and the engines life is reduced dramatically and if its turbo its shit to drive because the powerband is so high in the rev range and is very short around the 3000rpm or less!
mick
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Wed, 07 July 2004 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 09:57

chassis dynos are a tuning tool and a engine dyno is the only way to get a correct horsepower figure. you should have 200kw at the wheels easily unless you have low boost! we can get over 600kw at the wheels before the dyno comps capped the revs, now its just around the 450kw at the wheels and thats from 2.3 litre engine as the class of racing the engine was set up we couldnt keep it at 2.5. horsepower is great but once you get to a set level with any engine it starts to cost mega dollars to get higher and keep it together and the engines life is reduced dramatically and if its turbo its shit to drive because the powerband is so high in the rev range and is very short around the 3000rpm or less!
mick

not necessarily.. not if you match everything together correctly..
maybe on nissan engines though .. hehe
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Wed, 07 July 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wastegate wrote on Tue, 06 July 2004 11:32

fark sake, doesn't make a bees dick difference what gear it's in.
Dom Rigoli showed me himself on there dyno with my old 7M back to back. Same power different torque rating as it should be, that is all, move along.

ok i wont say anything incriminating so ill just sit back and laugh at the mention of a certain nim name...
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Wed, 07 July 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Mon, 05 July 2004 23:26

Dude stop worring about these dyno figures and just take the car down the strip, then you can prove everyone right or wrong if it means that much too you.

agreed
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Wed, 07 July 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

ok i wont say anything incriminating so ill just sit back and laugh at the mention of a certain nim name...

?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Thu, 08 July 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never mind

as rod says

Lets accept facts guys. Dyno's are intented as a TUNING device. NOT a measuring stick !

apologise for joking around

[Updated on: Thu, 08 July 2004 12:27]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Thu, 08 July 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 22:40

Quote:

?

??
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Thu, 08 July 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Thu, 08 July 2004 11:59

sorry mate dont wanna burst ya bubble, but

but when done in 3rd gear it throws the the ambient ramp rate protocol out of wack, also did you have the LSD in when u did the run? cause the inconsistancy of the speed of left wheel and right wheel cause by a clutch pack LSD causes the power level to spike on turbo powered cars, d d recommends you take 22.7& of the power away to given an accurate reading.

was it a 4wd dyno? if so was type 5a mode engauged? if not the dyno will also not read accurately,

i have been working in the dyno industry for years, and these things are often over looked by reputable dyno operators, so just ring them and make sure this was done

cheers

craig

Craig,

What D Dynamics software are you refering to ? Which Shootout mode (ie current or old or trial development)?? You would be well aware that the Dyno calibration is only set to an accuracy for peak power between 100 - 140kph. HENCE dyno Dynamiocs Shootout accreditaion process stipulation that the vehicle should be run in the gear which best represents this speed. Yes Torque multiplication is a factor but it is minimal by comparison. Beside Jag77799 clearly states his car made 200kw IN 3RD GEAR thus being a correct figure for his car o the dyno on that day strapped in that manor.
As for LSD power spiking I think you may be refering to some very old softwwhare beside if the vehicle is strapped in correctly wheel spin is not a concern so the rotation speeds of the tyres are equal.

Lets accept facts guys. Dyno's are intented as a TUNING device. NOT a measuring stick !

PS, Where about are you working these days ?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Thu, 08 July 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the conclusion to all this is still for Johal to:

GET HIS ASS TO WILLOWBANK AND RUN SOME NUMBERS!
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Thu, 08 July 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imo a dyno is for tuning only and the 'power figures' are just an estimation... if you want to see how many horses your motor makes have a look at your terminal speed on a 1/4 mile run.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Just got off the phone with dyno dynamics Thu, 08 July 2004 11:34 Go to previous message
thetoyman75 wrote on Thu, 08 July 2004 14:21

CrAiGzEE wrote on Thu, 08 July 2004 11:59

sorry mate dont wanna burst ya bubble, but

but when done in 3rd gear it throws the the ambient ramp rate protocol out of wack, also did you have the LSD in when u did the run? cause the inconsistancy of the speed of left wheel and right wheel cause by a clutch pack LSD causes the power level to spike on turbo powered cars, d d recommends you take 22.7& of the power away to given an accurate reading.

was it a 4wd dyno? if so was type 5a mode engauged? if not the dyno will also not read accurately,

i have been working in the dyno industry for years, and these things are often over looked by reputable dyno operators, so just ring them and make sure this was done

cheers

craig

Craig,

What D Dynamics software are you refering to ? Which Shootout mode (ie current or old or trial development)?? You would be well aware that the Dyno calibration is only set to an accuracy for peak power between 100 - 140kph. HENCE dyno Dynamiocs Shootout accreditaion process stipulation that the vehicle should be run in the gear which best represents this speed. Yes Torque multiplication is a factor but it is minimal by comparison. Beside Jag77799 clearly states his car made 200kw IN 3RD GEAR thus being a correct figure for his car o the dyno on that day strapped in that manor.
As for LSD power spiking I think you may be refering to some very old softwwhare beside if the vehicle is strapped in correctly wheel spin is not a concern so the rotation speeds of the tyres are equal.

PS, Where about are you working these days ?

craig: the toyman is right. i talked to the dyno guy for a good 20 minutes and he is sure it was all done right
if you put my car in a REAL dyno competition it WILL make 200rwkw
im over this debate.. the graph shows what it made and thats that. if you are in said dyno industry then howcome you dont know how shootout mode works?
i am planning to get to doing the 1/4.. but i have to swap suspension over 1st
one in car atm is fecked
dyno was a 2wd dyno and car was on the rollers properly.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ruling for A-Pillar gauge pods
Next Topic:Bullbars ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 07:01:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089151859283447 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.