Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Fri, 09 July 2004 15:52 Go to next message
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone would know how to make a sway bar link (AE86) adjustable (and longer). With the current suspension setup, the sway bar is preloaded and it shows on the corner scales.
Does anyone know of a simple swap from another car which would help with the added length (say 10mm)? or an effective way of making the sway bar link adjustable?

Thanks fellas

James

Pic of the sway bar link...
http://elink.net.au/~coolj/temporary/misc/Swaybar%20link.JPG
  Send a private message to this user    
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Fri, 09 July 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep
Get a length of threaded rod the same diameter or a bit smaller as the washers and four nylock nuts to suit.
Screw two nuts onto the rod,fit washers and bushes,fit onto car and put on the rest of the bushes,washers and nuts.
Set it at the height you want and tighten.
Could probably weld a normal nut in the middle between the inner washers to use a spanner to stop the rod turning during adjusment as well.
Might work for what you need.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Fri, 09 July 2004 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya M.J.H

Thanks for ya input.

I was considering doing that, but became worried about the thread (from the threaded rod) chewing up the inside of the bushes. - The stock item has the section for the bushes smoothed over.

Also thought of using a sleeve to sit inside the bush (between the threaded rod, if i step down the OD of the rod) but that wouldnt work either.. as the bush wouldnt compress.

Will keep thinkin..

TA.

James
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Fri, 09 July 2004 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am no engineer or expert but i have an idea Surprised

-now you want to add length to the current bar, what i would consider is to buy another set of bars (exact same ones, maybe even 2 sets as a precaution).
-now you want to add 10mm, grab the grinder* and cut the bar in a spot (most noteably in the middle)
-now you will have the bar in half. with the other bar (purchased one) and the grinder* again cut a section of desired length (10mm)
-now with the bar that is in half and the section weld them together. that way you still have the stock bar which is now 10mm longer
-the only issue is that they would need to bw welded completely straight and not on any angle (get a pro to do this). now that will get past the length issue.

as for making it adjustable, how exactly do you want it to be adjustable? the current bolt at the end gives it some adjustment abilities, alas not too much though, but if you consider the P.S. below then issue solved i guess

*probably better to use a hack saw

P.S. the extension can be incorporated in any area of the bar, i just used the middle for simplicity. keep in mind if the part you want to extend is the threaded part then the same concept would be used but i would consider machining the old thread off and re-threading it as the weld point would stuff up the whole thread anyway

-------------------------------------------------- --------

another option you have is to take the bar to a metal fabrication place and get them to make you one to the specific size you want. although this may be more expensive it will definately be a perfect job

[Updated on: Fri, 09 July 2004 17:08]

sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Fri, 09 July 2004 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks fade-e

Will be thinking.

Cheers

James
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Fri, 09 July 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm

Sway bar = spring steel.

Cutting and welding = NO.

Get it remade, get adjustable mounts made.

Go to whiteline or kmac etc.

Look at aftermarket fittings too they may adapt to what you have.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Sat, 10 July 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What he said; if you weld spring steel, it's not spring steel any more! Swaybars aren't that expensive.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Sat, 10 July 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks fellas,

Will be going to look at go gear or revolution race gear to see if they have anything to make up an equivalent but adjustable link for the sway bar.

I really want to get the corner weights balanced with zero swaybar preloading.

Cheers

James
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Sat, 10 July 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shim it
fix what's bent. any noticable "pre-load" is from something off, unless you've got an asymetrical/offset/circle track setup.
i think you're wasting your time with something that doesn't have solid links & mounts, or at least that plastic stuff.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Swaybar link to be made adjustable... any ideas? Sat, 10 July 2004 13:08 Go to previous message
Thats a good idea.

Do ya know any estimates as to what it might cost to get a car straightened on a alignment jig?

I dont "feel" that the car is out, although it could be being a 21yo car. The general feel of the car is good so i dont think that there is significant damage. Putting the thing on a jig might be the best way to do it.. just concerned about the cost.

Thanks

James
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE COROLLA CONVERSION GUIDE
Next Topic:4agte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:24:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043339729309082 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.